Javascript error on Slideshow

I’m using Fading Slideshow action (v1.5) from Dynamicdrive.com. Looks good and previews correctly in Freeway Pro 4.4.2, but when I try to preview it in browser, or publish site, I get the following error - “The following actions will be ignored as they have a known Javascript error”. The action seems quite straightforward to set up, but I wonder am I missing something obvious. Any ideas?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I guess this is for me:

I am a bit dumbfounded by the possibility of this error, especially since you are saying that the code publishes fine if previewed within FW. The only possibility that I can think of is if:

The page you are previewing, the Action(s) there are fine and correct, but on some other page the Action is some how invalid. While previewing, you are only ever publishing that single page. Yet, when you do a ‘preview in browser’ or File > Publish, all the pages are built. A problem could then exist on any page. This would cause FW to take that error and propagate it to all instances of that Action, so even the page where everything seemed ok, it would then fail.

The trick for this is to clear the JS error by clicking the ‘Clear Error’ (or to that effect) button within the Action interface for the Fading Slideshow. This will only present itself after you receive the error noted in your description.

Then, page by page, preview within FW. The point behind this is that FW will then only publish a single page at a time, thus allowing you to isolate the errant Action.

You may be able to watch the publish cycle and determine on which page the Action if failing, or at least narrow to a rough area, within a few pages, as FW publishes pages serially and does a decent job of clearing the dirty dots and notifying the user via the publish progress bar as it builds pages.

Once the page is discovered, the actual Action should be pretty apparent. The Action is likely to fail if it is applied to an item that is not published for some reason, ie: a) it has its ‘Published’ checkbox toggled off in the Inspector, b) it is a non-layer item on the pasteboard (this effectively makes the item not publish), c) it is somehow overlapped by another item, likely showing as a big ‘x’ through the item.

The Fading Slideshow code is likely to be missing some more robust error-checking for situations like these. Only of late have my Actions been very diligent about making sure things are as they should be before proceeding with manipulation of the page.

For these errant Actions, there should be an ‘Activate’ checkbox within the Action dialog. Unchecking that should be enough to prevent the error from reoccurring for that Action instance. Note though, there may be multiple ‘invalid’ actions on the same page. Removing the Action is the ultimate solution, but likely is not necessary after de-‘Activate’-ing.

I am sorry for the delay and inconvenience. Hopefully this information helps resolve your situation.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Weaver. That seems to have done the trick. There was a page with a stray graphic overlapping the slideshow which was causing the problem. This graphic wasn’t needed, so it was deleted and all works fine now. Thanks again

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden