Mac billing/timesheet/invoicing

afternoon all, sorry for the late call at the end of the week, but…

Anyone use or have a recommendation for a Mac based billing/timesheet programme? I’ve heard of Billable but not used it. I can google up some no doubt, but always best from the horse’s mouth (no offence meant, it’s just the Grand National tomorrow…)

Ideally I’d like a prog which has a little timer you could switch on and off from the OS menu/task bar…ie. a widget sitting in the background.

Am not Intel and still on Tiger.

Thanks
Hugh


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

http://www.marketcircle.com/billings/

Nathan Garner
Creative Director

Austin Wells Design Limited
One Elmgate Drive - Littledown - Bournemouth BH7 7EF
t 01202 301271 e email@hidden w http://www.austinwellsdesign.co.uk

Member of NAPP | Zen Affiliate | Dorset Business Member | YEC

Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

On Apr 8, 2011, at 3:44 PM, hugh wrote:

afternoon all, sorry for the late call at the end of the week, but…

Anyone use or have a recommendation for a Mac based billing/timesheet programme? I’ve heard of Billable but not used it. I can google up some no doubt, but always best from the horse’s mouth (no offence meant, it’s just the Grand National tomorrow…)

Ideally I’d like a prog which has a little timer you could switch on and off from the OS menu/task bar…ie. a widget sitting in the background.

Am not Intel and still on Tiger.

Thanks
Hugh


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

that looks interesting, thanks Nathan.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I am currently using On the Job, by Stunt Software, and before that I
used Billable by Clickable Bliss, which is now called ProfitTrain.

Michael Zornek, the developer of ProfitTrain, lives near me and used
to belong to the same Ruby User Group that I do. Billable was written
in Ruby, using the RubyCocoa “bridge” framework to run as a native
application on the Mac. I am not sure if ProfitTrain continues that
model.

I like them both very much, and I moved to On the Job for a little
more flexibility with the structure of invoices. (One of my clients
pays a monthly retainer, and I have to bill against that until I run
over. This wasn’t something that Billable could do, and I haven’t
looked into ProfitTrain to see if I should switch back.)

Walter

On Apr 8, 2011, at 10:48 AM, Nathan Garner wrote:

http://www.marketcircle.com/billings/

Nathan Garner
Creative Director

Austin Wells Design Limited
One Elmgate Drive - Littledown - Bournemouth BH7 7EF
t 01202 301271 e email@hidden w http://www.austinwellsdesign.co.uk

Member of NAPP | Zen Affiliate | Dorset Business Member | YEC

Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

On Apr 8, 2011, at 3:44 PM, hugh wrote:

afternoon all, sorry for the late call at the end of the week, but…

Anyone use or have a recommendation for a Mac based billing/
timesheet programme? I’ve heard of Billable but not used it. I can
google up some no doubt, but always best from the horse’s mouth (no
offence meant, it’s just the Grand National tomorrow…)

Ideally I’d like a prog which has a little timer you could switch
on and off from the OS menu/task bar…ie. a widget sitting in the
background.

Am not Intel and still on Tiger.

Thanks
Hugh


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Studiometry is worth a look also. Studiometry « Oranged Software


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I’ve used Billings http://www.marketcircle.com/billings/ for a
couple years and like it for the most part. Not bloated yet does most
of what I need. I do like the invoice template engine which is hugely
customizable but it can be complicated to use at times. If you read
the template engine docs it’s stated up front that a background in app
development and terminology is greatly beneficial to get the most out
the templates if you need more than what the stock versions offer.

Todd


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I agree with Todd. Billings is great and I use it keep track of my invoicing however I create my invoices online using a custom template design and some fancy PHP. I ended up being rather upset with how frustrating it was to use Billings template engine. Not in regards to design but rather in placing sums, subtotals, totals, etc. Other than that it works great.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

What online service do you use for invoicing Dan? Yeah, the template
engine can be a bear. It’s so powerful, but wrestling it into
submission can be exhausting at times.

Todd

On Apr 8, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Dan J wrote:

I agree with Todd. Billings is great and I use it keep track of my
invoicing however I create my invoices online using a custom
template design and some fancy PHP. I ended up being rather upset
with how frustrating it was to use Billings template engine. Not in
regards to design but rather in placing sums, subtotals, totals,
etc. Other than that it works great.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

+1 for Billings. Great name too :slight_smile:

On 8 Apr 2011, at 17:13, Todd wrote:

What online service do you use for invoicing Dan? Yeah, the template engine can be a bear. It’s so powerful, but wrestling it into submission can be exhausting at times.

Todd

On Apr 8, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Dan J wrote:

I agree with Todd. Billings is great and I use it keep track of my invoicing however I create my invoices online using a custom template design and some fancy PHP. I ended up being rather upset with how frustrating it was to use Billings template engine. Not in regards to design but rather in placing sums, subtotals, totals, etc. Other than that it works great.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 8 Apr 2011, 4:16 pm, Joe Billings wrote:

+1 for Billings. Great name too :slight_smile:

hehe!

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Billings sounds good until you get to templating…but maybe I won’t need anything too fancy or can just do it manually when it comes to it…it’s more the time recording and work summary aspects, plus some cost attachment I’m interested in. If I don’t like the invoice output I can roll my own from the data using Word or anything…it’s not a lot of invoices

H.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

On 8 Apr 2011, at 15:44, hugh wrote:

I’ve heard of Billable but not used it. I can google up some no
doubt, but always best from the horse’s mouth

Hi Hugh; I use it all the time and love it.

best wishes

Paul Bradforth
(The Horse :slight_smile:


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

@Todd

I had jumped around into a few services and had used ProjectBubble for a while but then it got less customizable and more generic. I know it’s just invoicing, but I like to stand out a bit even in the details.

I ended up building a custom web site that relies heavy on PHP and it’s more or less a form I fill out, save as PDF and then send out for invoicing while keeping track in Billings.

I do plan in the very short future to accept payments through my own website and to have custom invoicing and what not for all my clients. Eventually my Freeway store will include more elaborate invoices/receipts for their purchases.

All in due time.


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I use this program, Officetime, it sits in the menu bar and you can time individual projects, it will produce pie charts, invoices based on templates, etc.

It has a 120 day money back guarantee if you don’t like it.
I think it is very good value at $47 and does exactly what I need anyway. Plus they are working on an iPhone version which I hope will sync with the main version

http://www.officetime.net/

P.S. works on Tiger and above

Anyone use or have a recommendation for a Mac based billing/timesheet programme? I’ve heard of Billable but not used it. I can google up some no doubt, but always best from the horse’s mouth (no offence meant, it’s just the Grand National tomorrow…)

Ideally I’d like a prog which has a little timer you could switch on and off from the OS menu/task bar…ie. a widget sitting in the background.

Am not Intel and still on Tiger.

Thanks Hugh


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Stumbled upon this today, an invoicing app that runs on your server.
Looks interesting.
http://pancakeapp.com/

Todd


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Billings is in this bundle for a short while as well as a load of other stuff

http://codecanyon.net/bundles/freelance_mac_apps?WT.mc_id=supersaleemail2

Richard


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Quickbooks.

It integrates with about 99% of the worlds banks, and fund houses.

Its Windows and Mac. so you can switch systems and still work.

Its a standard


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I agree 100% on QuickBooks Pro for Billing & Invoicing as I have not used the employee center for pay with-in QuickBooks.

And to set it up if you are not an expert I strongly recommend you hire a “local” CPA or Book-keeper familiar with QB and let them help get the Chart of Accounts all set up for you. A quick lesson on how to enter expense & income transactions is also recommended.

Dale Josephson
Dale Josephson Consulting
Apple Developer & Support

On Jun 23, 2011, at Thursday7:26 AM, Shane wrote:

Quickbooks.

It integrates with about 99% of the worlds banks, and fund houses.

Its Windows and Mac. so you can switch systems and still work.

Its a standard


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi, this just caught my eye. Does anyone know if the files saved in QB
are cross-platform? ie: would my wife (who’s and accountant and has
her version of QB) be able to open my Mac files on her pc?
Thanks in advance.
Trev

On 23 Jun 2011, at 15:43, Dale Josephson wrote:

I agree 100% on QuickBooks Pro for Billing & Invoicing as I have not
used the employee center for pay with-in QuickBooks.

And to set it up if you are not an expert I strongly recommend you
hire a “local” CPA or Book-keeper familiar with QB and let them help
get the Chart of Accounts all set up for you. A quick lesson on how
to enter expense & income transactions is also recommended.

Dale Josephson
Dale Josephson Consulting
Apple Developer & Support

On Jun 23, 2011, at Thursday7:26 AM, Shane wrote:

Quickbooks.

It integrates with about 99% of the worlds banks, and fund houses.

Its Windows and Mac. so you can switch systems and still work.

Its a standard


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

I haven’t done it in at least a year, maybe two, but my last
accountant was able to take an export file from my QB and import it
into his. I don’t believe the actual data file is binary-compatible,
but I could be wrong. There is a workflow, for precisely the reason
you note (creative businesses often have PC-based accountants cooking
their books).

Walter

On Jun 23, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Trevor Reaveley wrote:

Hi, this just caught my eye. Does anyone know if the files saved in
QB are cross-platform? ie: would my wife (who’s and accountant and
has her version of QB) be able to open my Mac files on her pc?
Thanks in advance.
Trev

On 23 Jun 2011, at 15:43, Dale Josephson wrote:

I agree 100% on QuickBooks Pro for Billing & Invoicing as I have
not used the employee center for pay with-in QuickBooks.

And to set it up if you are not an expert I strongly recommend you
hire a “local” CPA or Book-keeper familiar with QB and let them
help get the Chart of Accounts all set up for you. A quick lesson
on how to enter expense & income transactions is also recommended.

Dale Josephson
Dale Josephson Consulting
Apple Developer & Support

On Jun 23, 2011, at Thursday7:26 AM, Shane wrote:

Quickbooks.

It integrates with about 99% of the worlds banks, and fund houses.

Its Windows and Mac. so you can switch systems and still work.

Its a standard


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Save a QuickBooks Pro file as a backup and hand that to your CPA on Windoze and it is binary compatible.

Only horror story on QB I see repeated again and again is putting QB on two computers and storing the data file in a network share point and have two users open the file simultaneously and your data file is now unrecoverable. 1 at a time unless you are running the QB Server…!!! Time Machine is good to get back a couple of hour old and still functioning data file.

Dale Josephson
Dale Josephson Consulting
Apple Developer & Support

On Jun 23, 2011, at Thursday8:32 AM, Walter Lee Davis wrote:

I haven’t done it in at least a year, maybe two, but my last accountant was able to take an export file from my QB and import it into his. I don’t believe the actual data file is binary-compatible, but I could be wrong. There is a workflow, for precisely the reason you note (creative businesses often have PC-based accountants cooking their books).

Walter

On Jun 23, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Trevor Reaveley wrote:

Hi, this just caught my eye. Does anyone know if the files saved in QB are cross-platform? ie: would my wife (who’s and accountant and has her version of QB) be able to open my Mac files on her pc?
Thanks in advance.
Trev

On 23 Jun 2011, at 15:43, Dale Josephson wrote:

I agree 100% on QuickBooks Pro for Billing & Invoicing as I have not used the employee center for pay with-in QuickBooks.

And to set it up if you are not an expert I strongly recommend you hire a “local” CPA or Book-keeper familiar with QB and let them help get the Chart of Accounts all set up for you. A quick lesson on how to enter expense & income transactions is also recommended.

Dale Josephson
Dale Josephson Consulting
Apple Developer & Support

On Jun 23, 2011, at Thursday7:26 AM, Shane wrote:

Quickbooks.

It integrates with about 99% of the worlds banks, and fund houses.

Its Windows and Mac. so you can switch systems and still work.

Its a standard


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options


offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options