Made with Freeway

##A new site by The Big Erns and Freeway

I welcome your thoughts and questions about this very recent project that went live today. Some things to note:

• Uses Freeway’s Responsive tools to affect views from phones all the way to large screens.

• Advanced HTML5 and CSS, implemented through Freeway.

• Uses Freeway’s CSS Menu.

• Inflow layout construction.

• Advanced layout using CSS Flexbox.

• Advanced type control with rem and viewport units.

##Something sort of different…

I wanted to go back to my roots as a print designer and do something defiant and luxurious… and still do my job of cultivating content that is rich and meaningful with extraordinarily super cool CSS code. It helped that my client was as excited as I to try something that would push back against convention without stranding either the site or its users in its experimentalness.

The site just went up today so I will be tweaking it for a bit still… but it seems to be doing well in most of the benchmarks in advance of adjustments.

##Let the chattery begin!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

This is gorgeous. One question – where are they located, physically? Aside from the area code, I cannot see a way to find out if I would need to fly or drive to their studio to record my next big hit.

And one tiny nit – when you are at the top of any page, you cannot see the navigation to get to any other page. If you scroll a bit, it will appear, but it’s not there on load.

Very solid work!

Walter

On Jun 29, 2016, at 11:13 PM, The Big Erns email@hidden wrote:

##A new site by The Big Erns and Freeway
http://www.mixroomred.com

I welcome your thoughts and questions about this very recent project that went live today. Some things to note:

• Uses Freeway’s Responsive tools to affect views from phones all the way to large screens.

• Advanced HTML5 and CSS, implemented through Freeway.

• Uses Freeway’s CSS Menu.

• Inflow layout construction.

• Advanced layout using CSS Flexbox.

• Advanced type control with rem and viewport units.

##Something sort of different…

I wanted to go back to my roots as a print designer and do something defiant and luxurious… and still do my job of cultivating content that is rich and meaningful with extraordinarily super cool CSS code. It helped that my client was as excited as I to try something that would push back against convention without stranding either the site or its users in its experimentalness.

The site just went up today so I will be tweaking it for a bit still… but it seems to be doing well in most of the benchmarks in advance of adjustments.

##Let the chattery begin!

http://www.mixroomred.com

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

This is gorgeous. One question – where are they located, physically? Aside from the area code, I cannot see a way to find out if I would need to fly or drive to their studio to record my next big hit.

That is a good question Walter, something the client seemed a little shy about but may grow to embrace. I asked for a lot of liberties and he’s been a terrific client. The other thing I would like to see here would be social media integration. I am an old cuss and as such automatically opposed to anything them durn kids are up to these days, but I have had some remarkable success with social media driving web traffic and interest.

And one tiny nit – when you are at the top of any page, you cannot see the navigation to get to any other page. If you scroll a bit, it will appear, but it’s not there on load.

It’s different… I wanted an initial presentation that didn’t scream “I’m a web page! See, I’ve got web-pageyness all over me with the menus and the glaven!” Initially, the link at the page top took you down the page (mimicking the link at the window bottom) which also would trigger the menu. The client had some issue with it as well so we compromised on that link going to the home page. I think that future versions of this idea will see the logo click just activate the menu. UI is tricky stuff, glaven.

Thanks for your comments, Walter… always.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ernie,

I love this! It’s hard to get “out of the box” and create something unique while still being responsive. It gives me hope for the rest of us mere FreeWay mortals!

I noticed the navigation wasn’t there on site load, but saw immediately what you were doing and I liked it. The site doesn’t require excessive scrolling and to me it’s super easy to figure out the navigation. It is a little different, but in a good way. That’s my opinion for what it’s worth.

As you probably noticed on my other FW thread, I’m looking to build a site for a musician and I need to integrate audio clips. I’d not thought of adding them all to a single page like you did. I thought I would do one player with a playlist below. It’s an interesting idea. One thing I’m wrestling with is having the page with the audio samples open up to a new page so the music can keep playing while the visitor goes to other pages on the site. What do you think are the pros/cons of this?

Thanks for sharing your work! Super impressive.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

One thing I’m wrestling with is having the page with the audio samples open up to a new page so the music can keep playing while the visitor goes to other pages on the site. What do you think are the pros/cons of this?

Hi Doty-- thank you for your comments.

You know I am religious about letting the user choose how they interact with content, so as long as there were options to let that happen I’d be okay. If you have a link whose intent is explained, I think that constitutes adequate options and choices.

The advantage of the html5 audio element is the built-in controls and ability for serving other formats when necessary. It’s very well supported and I understand that it is possible to create your own custom controller (way above my pay grade) and use it with the audio element. It’s a tradeoff between customization and compatibility, I think.

The controller can change width to match the element, but beyond that it appears and works as each browser vendor has determined it would. You could certainly style the audio elements like a playlist, but it wouldn’t play like one.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Ernie

Another one of masterpieces which are always great to see (and dissect).

When I use the CSS Menus action it always wants to set the font for the currently selected page to ‘normal’ whilst all the others are bold.

Sometimes I’ve just gone along with it but for other sites I have had to resort to adding another style in the HTML markup before /head to get around this along the following lines:

#fwNav1 .fwNavItem a.fwCurrent, #fwNav1 .fwNavItem a.fwCurrent:hover { display:block; color:#FFFFFF; background:#121EBF; font-weight:700 }

Is there an easier way to stop this from happening?

Gordon
http://www.gordonlow.net/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden