Making a 3D badge in Intaglio

Can it be done? Is there a tutorial at all? Are there effects that can be downloaded ad added to make this easier, like adding a “style” to an object?

Cheers for any help at all!

Mary Anne

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hi.

I´d say yes with the use of the Core-image filter effects (3d-lighting e.g.) - but to me more specific an example image of what you´re after would be nice.

Cheers

Frank

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

That is pretty much exactly the glossy, 3D effect I want, but to be able to add it to any circle.

I did play with the 3d lighting, inner glow, drop shadown etc but I don’t really understand it. I made a decent one but it looked more like a flat image with the dome over it, rather than the badge domed IYKWIM
cheers

MA

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

This is one way using 3D Lighting and blend modes:

http://postimg.org/image/6x6r079vr/

Ian

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

That looks really good - thank you! I don’t suppose you would be willing to give me an absolute step-by-step for that? I have never really used the blending modes - when I have tried them they seem to behave differently to what expect :slight_smile: To be honest I almost like the 3rd image without the gradient layer as it’s brighter. Layers is something else I don’t use a lot.

I wish there were the level of tutorials for Intaglio as there are for Photoshop. I LOVE using it, but I just don’t know enough and it’s hard to find out more. People like you have been my saviour more than once.

I’ll have a play later and see what I can manage and come back to you, if I may with any more specific questions
Cheers!
MA

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Mary Anne,

Intaglio’s not easy. It’s like going into a workshop and seeing a big box of strange tools, but like everything else, with practice, it becomes easier (I’m constantly learning).

The procedure in the new attachment will be easier to follow if you have the Color, Gradient and Solid Color palettes open on the desktop.

http://postimg.org/image/bqycs84dp/

Blends

It can be difficult to remember which blend does what. The best way is to experiment, for example:

Draw a box over an image, give it a mid grey Fill (e.g. Nickel) and choose a blend mode.

In the Color palette, drag the slider up and down (to access the slider, click the Color Wheel icon in the top, left-hand corner). Some amazing effects can be created by changing the blend and/or the colour.

Steps 8 and 9 in the attachment are an example of this trial and error approach.

Layers

In projects such as this with multiple badge images, layers will be invaluable.

Also, if you want to see the effect of the combination of several different blend modes, it’s a good idea to assign each blend its own layer. The same goes for filters.

By all means come back if you get stuck.

Ian

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

Jeez. I had only ever used the blending modes in the Composite Operations under Effects. I had no idea of the blend modes under Objects :slight_smile: Which is maybe why they act in such an unexpected way when I try!

I had already figured out the gradient tool step to make a Radial gradient appear centre out, but I am struggling to get as smooth a gradient as yours. I’ll keep playing.

Just a couple of questions

• how many layers are you using? Is each step its own layer? So when you alight the badge in step 5 is that the badge on one layer and the gradient on another or are they simply overlaid on the same layer? You can bring things to the font on the same layer as well as bring a layer to the front, right?

• do any of the steps depend on things being GROUPED to work?

I made a decent looking one, not perfect, using a completely different method and the tools that I have at least SOME experience of.
http://postimg.org/image/6tjzwwbxt/

That is just using a plain pink circle. I worked out a basic combo that looks OK then stored it in my Library under ACTIONS (I have a few things, like false colour effects that are applied to a specific base colour or pattern fill, so it give me the same colour every time I use it) and can tweak it slightly. So in this case the GLOW is a pinkish shade, but for a green circle I might change that to lime or yellow.

While that looks OK it is def. a hack and nowhere near as smooth as yours! And I thank you greatly for all the time you are taking to help me out. I DO spend a lot of time playing but sometimes I just don’t even know where to start/focus. Cheers again! I am going to explore those blend modes a lot more for sure.

Mary Anne

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

M.A.

This attachment answers some of your questions and shows how the gradient floats over the flag.

http://postimg.org/image/rqno4qm9p/

Keep things simple—draw a circle and give it a gradient fill (as described yesterday). When the different elements are finished, consider how you’re going to combine them into a finished design. There’s no shortcut here—you’ll have to get your head around blends, composite operations or CI Effects. Find a procedure that suits you. A successful first project will give you the confidence to do more.

Layers and Groups

I try to organise different elements on separate layers. When a specific part of the design is composed of a number of different elements, I group them and move them to a single layer later.

Radial gradients not smooth

That’s a mystery. What’s the screen resolution of your machine? My iMac’s is 1920 x 1080. The screen image quality on most Windows PCs used to be dreadful, so if you’re using a PC monitor, that could be the problem.

Ian

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden

I have such an odd set up. I have a Mac (dual-core Intel Xeon, so old) running Snow Leopard (!) for a variety of reasons. The left monitor is rotated vertically and is an 1152 x 2048 Samsung. The RIGHT monitor is actually our old 42" Samsung TV and is 1920x1080. That side is the one I do design stuff on. It may matter that I am using Intaglio 3.4.4, which is the latest one I CAN use. It has some quirks, like the ALIGN TOP in Geometry simply does not work at all.

YOUR gradient looks like it is really smoothly transitioning from black in to white. Mine has more defined bands of black, grey, white. But looking at the sample it seems you have black and whit at either end and just one diamond slider off the middle a bit but not 5 blocks of colour with varying diamond sliders, each tweaked, which is what I seem to need to get it to look like yours.

I use the masks window all the time, so that is actually something I “get” - finally! :slight_smile:

I will just keep exploring and testing and will eventually get there I’m sure. Thanks so much for your help!
Mary Anne

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden