Making a 3D badge in Intaglio

Jeez. I had only ever used the blending modes in the Composite Operations under Effects. I had no idea of the blend modes under Objects :slight_smile: Which is maybe why they act in such an unexpected way when I try!

I had already figured out the gradient tool step to make a Radial gradient appear centre out, but I am struggling to get as smooth a gradient as yours. I’ll keep playing.

Just a couple of questions

• how many layers are you using? Is each step its own layer? So when you alight the badge in step 5 is that the badge on one layer and the gradient on another or are they simply overlaid on the same layer? You can bring things to the font on the same layer as well as bring a layer to the front, right?

• do any of the steps depend on things being GROUPED to work?

I made a decent looking one, not perfect, using a completely different method and the tools that I have at least SOME experience of.
http://postimg.org/image/6tjzwwbxt/

That is just using a plain pink circle. I worked out a basic combo that looks OK then stored it in my Library under ACTIONS (I have a few things, like false colour effects that are applied to a specific base colour or pattern fill, so it give me the same colour every time I use it) and can tweak it slightly. So in this case the GLOW is a pinkish shade, but for a green circle I might change that to lime or yellow.

While that looks OK it is def. a hack and nowhere near as smooth as yours! And I thank you greatly for all the time you are taking to help me out. I DO spend a lot of time playing but sometimes I just don’t even know where to start/focus. Cheers again! I am going to explore those blend modes a lot more for sure.

Mary Anne

Intaglio mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: