Master Page Sync

Can some fab person out there (or software engineer at softpress) write an action or something that will synchronize specific areas of a page to a specific area on a master page, like a links menu for eg?.

It would be a case of select the area of the page you want to sync (eg, in-line div), • add the action, • the palette would ask Sync with what? • you choose on the pop up menu which master to sync to • a secondary pop up then asks for which part (eg, in-line div on master). • From now on all changes made in that box would be reflected on any page section in the site that had the action applied.

There is already a ‘Use Master Content’ option but it doesn’t apply to in-line divs so technically the capability is there, it just needs expanding.

I’d even pay for an action that did this as I’ve invested a lot of money in Freeway because of the benefits of the master pages alone, only to find what I need it to do it cant and my whole many-paged web site depends on a solution otherwise I’ve a horrendous amount of page editing to do every time I want to add another page/link!!!

Please help

Lee

actionsdev mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

You’ve beaten me to the post on this one.

I was thinking of using the menu system on a large site, but am a little reluctant until I can figure out a sensible way of make sure the CSS menu system can be made into a master page item. As you say putting the menu in-line renders the thing useless for a large site, as then you will have to edit each page when a new page is created.

I was going to not put the menu in-line, but layer the menu above the page, so it can remain as a master page item.

Drawback with that is, if its the top layer, its last published in the code, I don’t think that helps with accessibility.

Using a php include for the menu list, does not work as Freeway needs the text in Freeway to create the code.

So yes, me too would like some clarification, or help with this problem.

actionsdev mailing list
email@hidden

I originally tried this way and all was well until I found that when a reader enlarged the page, the layer expanded on top of my footer. It was suggested to use in-line divs.

I built my entire site this way and it worked brill until it came to add new links to the master and nothing changed below - annoyed is a mildly polite way of telling you how I felt at the time.

The functionality appears to be in freeway, it just needs to be more flexible and work like a true master page.

I was going to not put the menu in-line, but layer the menu above the page, so it can remain as a master page item.

Drawback with that is, if its the top layer, its last published in the code, I don’t think that helps with accessibility.

actionsdev mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Lee,
You could try my Simple Include Pro action (http://www.freewayactions.com/product.php?id=018). The idea behind the action is that you can apply the Create Simple Include Pro action to an object ( an HTML box, div or table for example) on one page and include this item on subsequent pages simply by sketching the Use Simple Include Pro action and picking the include you want, well, included.
As long as the create action is published before the use action then you should be OK. What the action is doing is creating a freestanding code include containing code for just the selected item. This is then pulled into the site on later pages and added to the output code just like any other include.
As you change the master item Freeway will automatically update the exported include file and this will, in turn, be automatically added on any pages that subscribe to this include.
Give the action a go and let me know if it works out for you or not.
Regards,
Tim.

On 29 Jul 2008, at 01:52, Lee Foster wrote:

Can some fab person out there (or software engineer at softpress) write an action or something that will synchronize specific areas of a page to a specific area on a master page, like a links menu for eg?.

It would be a case of select the area of the page you want to sync (eg, in-line div), • add the action, • the palette would ask Sync with what? • you choose on the pop up menu which master to sync to • a secondary pop up then asks for which part (eg, in-line div on master). • From now on all changes made in that box would be reflected on any page section in the site that had the action applied.

There is already a ‘Use Master Content’ option but it doesn’t apply to in-line divs so technically the capability is there, it just needs expanding.

I’d even pay for an action that did this as I’ve invested a lot of money in Freeway because of the benefits of the master pages alone, only to find what I need it to do it cant and my whole many-paged web site depends on a solution otherwise I’ve a horrendous amount of page editing to do every time I want to add another page/link!!!

Please help

Lee

FreewayActions.com - Freeware and shareware actions for Freeway Express & Pro.

Protect your mailto links from being harvested by spambots with Anti Spam.
Only available at FreewayActions.com

http://www.freewayactions.com