Migrating to new Mac

Hello all,

I’ve just put an order in for a new iMac with a 3tb fusion drive (lucky me, eh?).

I have an older iMac with a normal hd in it, a Time Machine backup and a SuperDuper backup and I was wondering what would be the best way to migrate my old mac to the new one, settings, passwords and the whole caboodle.

I think the fusion drive has the operating system and programmes on it, so my concern is getting things in the right place during the transfer - or is the new iMac intelligent enough to know where to put things?

It’s a while since I’ve had to do this so be gentle with me please!!

thanks

Trev

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Sorry, the 3rd para should read:

I think the fusion drive has the operating system and programmes on the Flash drive, so my concern is getting things in the right place during the transfer - or is the new iMac intelligent enough to know where to put things?

Trev

On 7 Aug 2015, at 10:06, Trevreav email@hidden wrote:

Hello all,

I’ve just put an order in for a new iMac with a 3tb fusion drive (lucky me, eh?).

I have an older iMac with a normal hd in it, a Time Machine backup and a SuperDuper backup and I was wondering what would be the best way to migrate my old mac to the new one, settings, passwords and the whole caboodle.

I think the fusion drive has the operating system and programmes on it, so my concern is getting things in the right place during the transfer - or is the new iMac intelligent enough to know where to put things?

It’s a while since I’ve had to do this so be gentle with me please!!

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

my concern is getting things in the right place during the transfer - or is the new iMac intelligent enough to know where to put things?

In a nutshell - yes.

My understanding is that the new files may not start off on the SSD part of the Drive but as the files are most often accessed they are shuffled about by the system.

So initially you may not benefit from the speed hike from the SSD section but it will improve with use.

And the best way to do the transfer effectively is by using the Migration Assistant app

I do have a 2Tb fusion drive but have yet to actually put it inside my 27iMac after the internal drive died. Just booting from it externally.

Feeling a bit jealous here!

D

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

Use Migration assistant. It will ship everything over… settings apps and all.

David Owen

On 7 Aug 2015, at 10:06, Trevreav email@hidden wrote:

I was wondering what would be the best way to migrate my old mac to the new one, settings, passwords and the whole caboodle.

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden

David and David - good name for a band there - thanks very much for the advice, much appreciated.

It’s not going to arrive until about next weekend, so I may be in contact again then!ant

regards
Trev

offtopic mailing list
email@hidden