My Mule - A funeral oration

Back in 2007 I had a client. To be precise: the only client I had at that time, and even the first one after starting my one-nose business side job.

One day, she told me, that she wants to have a website. I thought „cool“, recommending her a guy I knew to handle this. But she said „No - you’re the one doing it!“ „And if not - you’re out“. Gosh - just opened and hereby forced to close?

So I started to research the web for a tool. I can’t recall correctly, but I think it was Macromedia Dreamweaver, iWeb, Rapidweaver and Freeway coming in view. In most of the apps, I failed just by trying to set up the „upload“ credentials, furthermore I recognized some other sucking things. So with the last of my options, I had a go with Freeway. And passed all hurdles. I created „a blue rectangle (graphic?)“, fired it onto my web account, called the url and all of a sudden, I saw a blue rectangle in the browser window.

Milestone!

So my web-career begun. Hooray - I’m a web designer. OK - to be precise: I’m a blue-rectangle designer for web but the rest shouldn’t be an affair. When a blue one works, why should the red one fail (I tried it btw. just to be sure). But wait: I never wanted to be a web designer. So I was sure to quit my glorious career with finishing my first gig. And as the unbeaten champ I wanted to retire.

Close to the end of this job, I researched the internet for opinions about Freeway - preferably in german language. And I found some. One of those maddened me. It sounded sth. like:

„Freeway is nice for some playing around, but it’s not useful for entire and complex projects and sites!“

Darn - how can someone say this just at the moment I successfully finished my first (and last) glorious project? And exactly this was the start of my fierce crusade against all ignoramuses.

So I really went on. I mean - doing websites and packed all I had onto my mule.

During my journey, I think it was late 2008, I met a brave knight whispering some tipps and tricks. He called it box-model and he told me, that this is the holy grail. Ha - such a weirdo. The holy grail? Ridiculous. But who knows? And I packed it onto my mule. Interestingly enough, the mule started to walk quicker and sometimes I got out of breath. Hm - I was wondering but became a strong believer of the holy grail BoxModelthing and other recreational drugs.

2009 I became member of a self-help group called FreewayTalk. I thought it’s time to get some more evangelist to the table. I found some, turning water into wine or vice versa. 12 their number. We had a funny time until the mid of 2012. There all of a sudden appeared a guy called king responsive. I backed my mule and me and the eleven others started to fight. We fight 4 years! This is relative long and absolute weird. Cause while all the rest is still fighting, „the Twelve and his mule“ and KingResponsive became friends.

Unfortunately my mule will die. They told me the day before yesterday. He probably will survive the Sierra, but what happens in Nevada?

Well - who knows? Perhaps I get a new one once a day.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Virtualise an OSX install that you know Freeway will work on. Use that when you get to an OS where Freeway won’t work.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ridiculous and not part of my plan. I keep it as Ernie already said in another thread:

“From my point of view, a long battle has finally ended”

My mule will take a special and big place in my heart. But I’m not taking part of this bypassing approach bringing something broken back to life.

I’m still loving web design. My current workspace is based on progressive enhancement.

This is the point this audience and developers mainly missed for YEARS.

But as said:

Perhaps I’ll get a new mule once a day.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thomas, this was beautifully well said my Friend. You’ve helped make my own journey a joy.

Best wishes, always…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Well said Thomas!!! I hope this forum will continue as you and Dave and Ernie, Joe, Walter, Caleb and Keith at Softpress have taught me everything I know and I’m so grateful
C

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden