Newbie Needing Help w/ Details

Hello all.

I am new to using Freeway 4 Pro. I have had it for a little over a year, but never used it until now.

I am building a fairly in depth website for a service organization, and I have built the basic pages to go up with initial information – so that there is something there. Then I will add onto each section, as I learn how to do the various things to make each piece happen! :slight_smile:

Here are my newbie questions about uploading the initial site.

1. I use YummyFTP to maintain my WordPress blog site – should I use it to upload and maintain my Freeway 4 Pro websites, or should I use the FTP upload built into Freeway?

2. Once I have my hosting and web address set up, do I need to put that web address onto each page of the site or does it all go together upon upload? (example: if my site is www.x.org – does the about page need to be ‘about.html’ or ‘www.x.org/about.html’?

3. As I build new pages and modify existing ones, does the upload replace everything or simply add & modify what is needed, leaving unaltered pages (and saving me lots of time)?

Thank you all in advance for your help, and for putting up with what may be terribly naive questions that have been answered a thousand times already. I did do some searches, but never came up with any answers, but as a newbie I could be searching the wrong words too! :slight_smile:

Thanks again,
Jason

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
http://freewaytalk.net/person/options

Hi Jason

1. I use YummyFTP to maintain my WordPress blog site — should I use it to upload and maintain my Freeway 4 Pro websites, or should I use the FTP upload built into Freeway?

No need to use any external FTP application - Freeway will handle it all for you.

1. Once I have my hosting and web address set up, do I need to put that web address onto each page of the site or does it all go together upon upload? (example: if my site is www.x.org — does the about page need to be ‘about.html’ or ‘www.x.org/about.html’?

When you enter a name in the Title section of the opage inspector Freeway will name the page based on that - but you can then change it to anything that you want. There is no requirement to have anything else other than index.html for example. Freeway knows that these pages belong to yoursite.com or whatever.

1. As I build new pages and modify existing ones, does the upload replace everything or simply add & modify what is needed, leaving unaltered pages (and saving me lots of time)?

When you modify pages Freeway marks them as ‘dirty’ by putting an • next to the page in the site pane on the left of the screen. Freeway will then generate new code for the ‘dirty’ pages and upload as necessary.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jason

1. I use YummyFTP to maintain my WordPress blog site – should I use it to upload and maintain my Freeway 4 Pro websites, or should I use the FTP upload built into Freeway?

Definately let Freeway handle the upload. It is painless.

1. Once I have my hosting and web address set up, do I need to put that web address onto each page of the site or does it all go together upon upload? (example: if my site is www.x.org – does the about page need to be ‘about.html’ or ‘www.x.org/about.html’?

When you set up Freeway to upload the site files this is handled automatically, so the answer is no you don’t need to do this.

1. As I build new pages and modify existing ones, does the upload replace everything or simply add & modify what is needed, leaving unaltered pages (and saving me lots of time)?

Normally each upload only adds whatever has changed since the last upload. Freeway keeps track of the changes for you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Great Dave, thanks for the quick and thorough response!

Jason

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Sometime around 5/5/08 (at 11:06 -0400) Jason A Weaver said:

1. I use YummyFTP to maintain my WordPress blog site – should I use
    it to upload and maintain my Freeway 4 Pro websites, or should I use
    the FTP upload built into Freeway?

Use Freeway, definitely. This lets it handle the file management side
of things, clearing out unneeded stuff, uploading only the changed
items, etc.

1. Once I have my hosting and web address set up, do I need to put
    that web address onto each page of the site or does it all go
    together upon upload?

Hold on for a moment! Just checking… but you aren’t making a new
Freeway document for each page, are you? I’ve seen that before. Just
use the one Freeway document and keep all your site pages and folders
in there.

Now, your page is a document. The filename of that document will be
something like “about.html”, for example. The full address to that
file might be www.xyz.org/about.html, but the filename will just be
about.html.

In Freeway, put a nice and descriptive name in the title first of
all. This will automatically be turned into a web-safe filename, and
any changes to the page title will automatically update the filename.

If you edit the filename text yourself then you remove the link to
the page title; changes there will no longer affect the filename.

Now, when you upload your Freeway document’s published output - using
Freeway, of course - you just use your normal FTP access details,
including any path required to take you to the ‘web root’ for your
site.

1. As I build new pages and modify existing ones, does the upload
    replace everything or simply add & modify what is needed, leaving
    unaltered pages (and saving me lots of time)?

The latter. :slight_smile:
See my answer to question 1.

And please do say if I’ve misunderstood or been less than clear!

k

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Chuck & Keith,

You both have been clear & helpful. Thank you very much!

Jason

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden