Not sure how to keep CSS textbook from disappearing under my left menu

Hi, community,
thanks so far for your help for this newcomer.

I’ve been trying to arrange my menu, text, and an image all on a CSS page tonight, and I haven’t been successful. Let’s see if I can describe what I’m doing and the problem.

I created a page similar to the first tutorial in the Using Freeway manual with a header, body, and footer container. The body has a width of 75.1% and is center aligned. I have an HTML text box inside this container.

My CSS menu is alongside the left margin. If I preview the window and shrink it enough, the text disappears beneath the menu. So, I think I need some type of container along the left margin that I have to put the CSS menu in and will block the body container-- but it didn’t work and maybe it’s because the CSS containers layer? I tried this … created an HTML item 120 pix wide against the left edge that runs the length of the body-container, and I put that left container to the left of the body container and put the CSS menu inside the left-container. But that didn’t prevent the text in the body container from disappearing beneath the menu. I’ve only worked with table HTML before; I’ve never tried to do anything with CSS or layers.

Am I trying to do something impossible (or unreasonable)?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hi Chckbo
its sounds like you have placed your div (your menu) as a child of its container and what I think you want is to place it as an inline item.
If there was a live version somewhere then it would help us to see what’s going wrong.

I will post a quick video in a minute of what I think you are doing and what I think you need to do, but please keep in mind, I have no idea what your site looks like so I am guessing here.

max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think this is whats happening to you

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Max,
thanks for the explanation and the time you spent to make the video. It’s helpful and gives me ideas of what I can do – just not quite what I was after in this project.

I’m not going to do a good job of explaining it. But in your video, imagine the area into which you placed were set at a dimension of 75% in width and aligned in the center. That would leave a portion of the page to the left of that container. I had tried to put the menu into that area on the left unsuccessfully.

I ended up moving the menu into the header (and still using horizontal submenus) in order to avoid the submarining text.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi chuck do you have a screen sot of what you are trying to achieve
max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I appreciate that you’re trying to help me learn this!
I made a short video that tries to show and explain what I’ve tried to do.

Let me know if you have trouble accessing this.
Chuck

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Was anyone able to access the video?
Chuck

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Chuck I was away for a few days and yes I have seen the video so let me make another vid showing how to do this ps what do you intend the left navigation to do when you rescale
at the moment its fixed so what happens when the window shrinks down to mobile
speak soon max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have to admit that I hadn’t thought that far ahead and Encountered that condition yet.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden