Odd permissions problem

I’ve run into this problem several times. I know the solution – I just don’t know the permanent solution.

If you choose File / Document Info / General Details, you’ll see a line for “Site Folder.” In my case (and maybe in yours, too), it’s /Library/Web Server/Documents – the Mac’s own main website folder – because when I (long ago) set up Freeway Pro, I wanted it to export the website directly there so I could browse to [localhost] and test out the site (including all its server-side processing) before uploading it publicly.

Since I first set Freeway up, way back in Jaguar, or Tiger, or whenever, OS X has grown increasingly niffy about its prerogatives and accesses on things in system folders. Every time I upgrade a system, it resets many if not all changes I may have made in there. As a result, I regularly lose access to this folder, and the next time I run Freeway Pro, I get that message.

In effect, the message is misleading – the problem is not that there is a “file in use,” it’s that the user doesn’t have write access to that file. So number one, that ought to be changed. (Are you reading this, Softpress?)

The remaining problem is that although I distinctly (?) remember “cleverly” setting up that export folder location myself, I can no longer find a way in the current version of Freeway Pro to alter it. I can see what it is, using the method from my first paragraph, but I 'd like to permanently change it to somewhere else precisely to avoid this problem in the future, and I can’t find any control to do so. I can’t even find “export” in the “Using Freeway” help manual.

Hope this helps out the next poor luser who gets this confusing message.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: