Preview doesn't show properly

I’m trying to create new pages in my Freeway file, but am having trouble doing so. To do a Cut/paste some headline graphics from previous pages doesn’t work at all (it shows up properly in Page mode, but when I go to Preview, the old graphic shows up!

Then when I try and recreate it from scratch, I get it centered and looking just right, but I hit Preview and it’s all badly spaced and all over the place, and the type is condensed, etc. I’ve given it plenty of space in the Graphic box to be spaced properly. I’m afraid to upload it looking like that in Preview. Why isn’t Preview working properly for me any more?

(Note, I need to keep my master page the same, so it can’t be done on a Master page.)

Thanks for any help.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Putting your efforts up live for us to see could help. Guessing is not my strongest point.

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It is not possible to show it live, as I don’t dare upload my website with this mess where people could see it.

I have discovered that if I nest things inside graphic boxes, this is where the trouble is coming from. If I make them individual boxes, either graphic or HTML, then line them up close to each other, this works a lot better. So am proceeding now doing it this way. I just won’t be able to have my line running behind a photo as I wanted, but it’s no big deal.

One unrelated question I would like to ask: Is it possible to get invisible when live “grid lines” to show up on your master page, so you can make all the subsequent pages sort of line up from the same points as you add text?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Richard, here is a link to my site as it is now. (I do not write the copy, just do the production. It is a non-profit site, designed to load simply and quickly, to educate people about environmental illnesses. It gets several thousand hits per month from all around the world, so I don’t want to mess it up.) It is over 30 pages, each with multiple links and some with sub-pages. The new page is the “History” page, and I could not get the line to go thru the photo as it is in the previous pages. Possibly my problem is cut/paste when trying to create a new page, that didn’t work at all, in Preview, the old text and photo would show up!

www.eiwellspring.org

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Joy, this is the current (live) site, is this correct or is something here not as you intended it to be?

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The site pages are fine as is. The problem comes when trying to create new pages in Freeway. I can’t get that underline to go under the back of the photo at the top of the list of files (check a specific page, such as Arizona Local, to see what I mean). The underline is actually a graphic item, 4px high, and with a fill. I could NOT get a stroke or text underline to show up in anything other than black.

I seem to have nested boxes, graphic items inside of graphic items, which may be the problem. I have tried copy/paste from an existing page of the photo, line and type, replacing with the new text and photo, to keep the style of the line running behind, but when I preview the new page, it shows the old photo and type! Or else the type is all stretched out and looking messed up, spacing is wonky everywhere, etc. I can’t show you an example, as my new page (History) had to have a line underneath the photo, not running in back of it, in its own graphic box, to come out even halfway normal looking. I may just take the easy way out here and redesign all the pages to look like that one, each item in its own graphic box not touching each other, so there’s no further problem with this. It is just frustrating that the text and photos will not show up in Preview as they look in Page mode. So copy/paste does not work to duplicate this style of page header?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On the pages that I looked at the header image ie ‘Arizona Local Information’ is a composite graphic made of three items.

1 - The image itself

2 - The underline

3 - The Text (Arizona Local Information)

This composite is then generated/compiled by FW into ‘item2n.gif’ and you will note that if you look in the FW generated Resources Folder (in your Site Folder) that there are a whole pile of images called ‘item2.gif’ through to ‘item2?.gif’

I would start by using the Finder on your Mac to locate your FW generated Site Folder and delete its contents and then republish your Site.

Don’t confuse this with deleting any original artwork/resources that you have used in your project.

The Site Folder that FW generates is a temporary/fluid store of components that is in constant flux and sometimes FW gets confused with all the item1.gif, item2.gif, item2a.gif etc.etc. and just needs a clear out to set it all straight again.

You may also be suffering from Browser Cache issues where your Browser draws an image preview from a previous version rather than using the fresh one - especially if the Browser doesn’t think the image has changed.

Using another Browser - that you don’t normally use for preview - can help with this.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you so much, David! Excellent advice. I’m not familiar with looking at the inner workings of things, i.e. html code, but may give this a try if it doesn’t erase any of my other photos on the other pages.

I looked into migrating this site onto Rapidweaver, but it was too complicated, and full of bugs, and I can’t risk anything going wrong with the site, with all its hundreds of links. So it has to stay in Freeway. Even tho the software and support is no longer available, I hope the program will transfer over to my new iMac when I get it soon, and we can just continue indefinitely with Freeway 5.5. I was assuming this was some sort of developing bug in the software itself, so am pleased to hear it is not. Hopefully it holds up for many years to come. Thanks again.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden