Previously unseen error message. Help!

Getting towards the end of revamping our website and Freeway (7.1.4(7070) in OSX Sierra 10.12.6) has suddenly started throwing up an error message when I try and save (or Save As) and I don’t know what it means.
The error box says;

“Could not save ‘Woodshed Site v3 document.freeway’ because of a program error. (-1309:144:10080)”

Does anyone understand the error message, or seen it before or have a solution?

Almost finished the redesign & wanting to post the site live so we issue a newsletter to promote it (and cover the new GDPR opt in hurdle all in one go).

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hi Jane,

Getting towards the end of revamping our website and Freeway (7.1.4(7070) in OSX Sierra 10.12.6) has suddenly started throwing up an error message when I try and save (or Save As) and I don’t know what it means.
The error box says;

"Could not save ‘Woodshed Site v3 document.freeway’ because of a program error. (-1309:144:10080)”

The second and third numbers identify where the error occurred (source file and line number). “144” doesn’t make any sense because it seems to refer to an old source file that no longer exists. “114” would make sense, because it’s a file that handles document saving.

One thing you could try is to save the file under a new name (File/Save As). Does this produce the same error?

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

On 22 May 2018, at 17:58, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jane,

The error box says;

"Could not save ‘Woodshed Site v3 document.freeway’ because of a program error. (-1309:144:10080)”

The second and third numbers identify where the error occurred (source file and line number). “144” doesn’t make any sense because it seems to refer to an old source file that no longer exists. “114” would make sense, because it’s a file that handles document saving.

One thing you could try is to save the file under a new name (File/Save As). Does this produce the same error?

If that doesn’t work, the next thing I would try is:

1. Go to Edit Resources
  2. Click on Resample All

This recreates the preview images that are saved as part of the document (in case one of these has become corrupted).

Then try to save again.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Well spotted Jeremy. It is indeed “114” not “144” - I’ve just typed carelessly…

Tried the new File Name idea to no avail.

It saves if I make a page with text but fails to when I add a photo in a graphic box to that page. Just the same Adobe Lightroom exported jpegs I’ve been using so far (without issue until now). Have tried setting the graphic box content to either jpeg or PNG in the inspector panel but get the same error with either.

Someone suggested the Resample Resources thing a couple of years ago and it worked for a similar problem but doesn’t appear to be working this time. (Although oddly I remember the resampling process taking several minutes before and it doesn’t seem to get going now when I click “Resample All” - either it’s done in a blink or it hasn’t resampled.) Nothing much appears to happen leaving me only to click “done” which only dismisses the box away (presumably without the resampling having happened). Not sure why this isn’t operating as I was expecting / (mis?) remembering.

Thanks for your help.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It saves if I make a page with text but fails to when I add a photo in a graphic box to that page. Just the same Adobe Lightroom exported jpegs I’ve been using so far (without issue until now). Have tried setting the graphic box content to either jpeg or PNG in the inspector panel but get the same error with either.

Changing the content type (JPEG/PNG) shouldn’t make any difference, because it only affects the type of the published image.

Is it failing to save when you add any photo, or is there a particular photo that is causing problems?

Do you have the same problem (with this photo or these photos) if you import them into a new document?

Someone suggested the Resample Resources thing a couple of years ago and it worked for a similar problem but doesn’t appear to be working this time. (Although oddly I remember the resampling process taking several minutes before and it doesn’t seem to get going now when I click “Resample All” - either it’s done in a blink or it hasn’t resampled.) Nothing much appears to happen leaving me only to click “done” which only dismisses the box away (presumably without the resampling having happened). Not sure why this isn’t operating as I was expecting / (mis?) remembering.

If you’re using different media widths (for a responsive site) it might be worth switching to each media width and resampling for each width. There was a bug (which should be fixed in the version you’re using) which meant that if you had different background images for different media widths, Resample would only resample images for the current width.

Also, make sure you choose Resample All and not Update All. Update All resamples images that appear to have changed, but Resample All resamples all images.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Seems to be any image.

Following your prompt, I just created a new document/siteproject, drew a graphic box on the page & imported one of the images I had added to our website project previously since this Saving Problem started, and it saves successfully in the test project.

Is there a maximum file/project size Freeway can handle?
Might I have hit a limit with Freeway or the RAM on my MacBook?
8GB on the machine. the new website project is currently up to…2.15GB (which is bigger than the .freeway file for our current website.
Our current, “live” site is “v2” (& is 1GB) and we are building a new document in freeway for v3. It is this “v3” document which is up to 2.15GB.

Just focussing on desktop layout - haven’t been faffing with responsive.

Still struggling to get Resample All button to make much happen as I remember it used to.
Definately clicking Resample not Update. It brings forward another pop-up window (telling me that Freeway has found some detached files & would I like to detach or restore them). I tick “detach” and “OK” which dismisses that window away leaving the Edit Resources window but no sign of resampling actually happening.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

OK. Just discovered something.

Even though the “Resample All” button in the Edit Resources window dent seem to be triggering anything, I scrolled to the bottom of the list of files displayed in the Edit Resources window and, highlighting each file manually, clicked “edit” then “resample” for the last dozen image files added to the troublesome pages and now the .freeway document saves OK.

Hurrah!!!

Thank you so much for your kind help. We’re craftspeople not developers so help like this (esp while whomever has bought Softpress seems to be leaving it in abeyance for the moment) is invaluable. Hugely appreciate your help. Thank You.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jane,

Even though the “Resample All” button in the Edit Resources window dent seem to be triggering anything, I scrolled to the bottom of the list of files displayed in the Edit Resources window and, highlighting each file manually, clicked “edit” then “resample” for the last dozen image files added to the troublesome pages and now the .freeway document saves OK.

Take care to keep the document size from getting larger than 2 GB. What size is it now?

Thank you so much for your kind help. We’re craftspeople not developers so help like this (esp while whomever has bought Softpress seems to be leaving it in abeyance for the moment) is invaluable. Hugely appreciate your help. Thank You.

I work for Softpress, and have done since before Freeway was first released. We’re working on a new version of Freeway, but this is a major task because Apple have abandoned some of the APIs that Freeway uses. Freeway has to be rewritten from scratch, and it’s going to take us a while to do this. We’re not actually leaving it in abeyance.

Having said that, we do appreciate the help and advice that other Freeway users give in FreewayTalk!

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Jeremy.

Currently showing as 2.12Gb and we’re almost done. It’s a much more “image led” iteration of what we had before but maybe we should pull back the jpeg quality from 100% on the larger images? Presume that would reduce the file size generated & not have too detrimental on the images presented on the page.

Good to hear that things are definitely afoot re Freeway8 (or whatever it ends up being. You have some dedicated users out here - although I have to admit I have been looking very seriously at Webflow recently. Now that I know that work is afoot I’ll definitely stick with Softpress. Really like the CMS based way Webflow works (I know that wordpress, Craft et al all do this too and I’m sure a CMS based system would save us (a 2 person business) a bundle of time in site management & updating. (PLEASE hang Freeway8 on a CMS type system…?)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Currently showing as 2.12Gb and we’re almost done. It’s a much more “image led” iteration of what we had before but maybe we should pull back the jpeg quality from 100% on the larger images? Presume that would reduce the file size generated & not have too detrimental on the images presented on the page.

JPEG quality has no effect on the size of the document - it only affects the images that are output (not the preview images that are embedded in the document). However, I wouldn’t use 100% quality for output JPEG images, because it increases the size of the output images (pages will load more slowly) and it’s hard to detect any visual difference between 75% (or 85%) and 100% quality.

The preview images that are embedded in the document are saved as 8-bit (256 colours), 16-bit (thousands of colours) or 24-bit (millions of colours). These aren’t normally output, but they’re what you see when you look at images in a Freeway document. If they’re saved as 24-bit images, they will increase the size`of the document, so it’s better to save them as 16-bit images. (8-bit images will take even less space, but will look dithered.)

If you import an image, and resize it to be smaller, resampling the image will cause it to use less file space in the document (similar to reducing the resolution of an image in an image editor.)

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jane,

[I sent this previously, but Apple Mail decided to use my personal email address instead of my Softpress address, so it didn’t reach the list.]

I think that 2.15 GB is about the maximum size of a Freeway document. If your document gets larger than 2 GB you should probably split it into two separate documents. There is probably some advice in the Softpress KnowledgeBase on how to go about this.

2 (or 2.15) GB is a limit because it’s the maximum size that 32-bit file APIs can support. If you go above this, you will have errors when you try to save.

Still struggling to get Resample All button to make much happen as I remember it used to.
Definately clicking Resample not Update. It brings forward another pop-up window (telling me that Freeway has found some detached files & would I like to detach or restore them). I tick “detach” and “OK” which dismisses that window away leaving the Edit Resources window but no sign of resampling actually happening.

Detaching won’t help with resampling, because it separates the document image from the original imported image. It’s a way of suppressing warnings about missing images. What you actually want to do is to locate the missing image so that it can be resampled. You can do this by clicking on Edit and then clicking on Locate.

If your document is getting as large as this, resampling is a good idea because it can help to reduce the size of the images that are saved within the document, and make the document smaller. It’s also worth checking the Document Setup dialog (Document pane) to see that Document graphics isn’t set to Millions of colours.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Wow! What an enormous effect.

Resampled each resource (one at a time since “resample all” doesn’t seem to be working for whatever reason) and the current document which was showing in a finder window as 2.12GB last night is now reported at 150MB!

Well worth the effort and it proves we’ve got some proper headroom left then?!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the (eventual) 2GB limit - we will add many more pages as the site grows.

Kindest
Alex & Jane.

On 22 May 2018, at 21:06, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jane,

[I sent this previously, but Apple Mail decided to use my personal email address instead of my Softpress address, so it didn’t reach the list.]

I think that 2.15 GB is about the maximum size of a Freeway document. If your document gets larger than 2 GB you should probably split it into two separate documents. There is probably some advice in the Softpress KnowledgeBase on how to go about this.

2 (or 2.15) GB is a limit because it’s the maximum size that 32-bit file APIs can support. If you go above this, you will have errors when you try to save.

Detaching won’t help with resampling, because it separates the document image from the original imported image. It’s a way of suppressing warnings about missing images. What you actually want to do is to locate the missing image so that it can be resampled. You can do this by clicking on Edit and then clicking on Locate.

If your document is getting as large as this, resampling is a good idea because it can help to reduce the size of the images that are saved within the document, and make the document smaller. It’s also worth checking the Document Setup dialog (Document pane) to see that Document graphics isn’t set to Millions of colours.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you for all your help previously Jeremy.

One further Q;
The new site is live now & we’re really pleased except for one point (which isnt a disaster at all). We chose Century Gothic as a font which is oft times being replaced with Times where Century Gothic isnt available. The Times substitution (mainly on iOS) looks fine actually but constancy would be nice.

A web designer friend was showing me Google fonts this morning and we’re considering using Didact Gothic from their font book. He showed me the Google Fonts Widget which exports a snippet of code to instruct the browser to use this font. You cut and paste the code snippet and use it in your software - is there a way to implement this in Freeway7?

Kind Regards
Alex.

On 23 May 2018, at 13:02, In The Woodshed email@hidden wrote:

Wow! What an enormous effect.

Resampled each resource (one at a time since “resample all” doesn’t seem to be working for whatever reason) and the current document which was showing in a finder window as 2.12GB last night is now reported at 150MB!

Well worth the effort and it proves we’ve got some proper headroom left then?!!!

Thanks for the heads up on the (eventual) 2GB limit - we will add many more pages as the site grows.

Kindest
Alex & Jane.

On 22 May 2018, at 21:06, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jane,

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Alex,

There is an article about using Google fonts in Freeway:

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden