[Pro] A couple more questions

Further to my last question, I just have a couple more.

First, when I double click inside a HTML item and create another HTML item, as part of the inline design, the second item sticks to the top of the page and I can’t move it. How do I reposition it, say, if I wanted to create a footer?

Second, the template I am looking at has a footer set to 100% that goes across the whole width of the screen (I’m working on a 27" iMac). However, when I try to replicate these settings on my own page, it sticks at my 1200px page width. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

On Jan 26, 2018, at 9:04 AM, Jenny email@hidden wrote:

Further to my last question, I just have a couple more.

First, when I double click inside a HTML item and create another HTML item, as part of the inline design, the second item sticks to the top of the page and I can’t move it. How do I reposition it, say, if I wanted to create a footer?

You will need to add inline content above it, so that it is shoved down by that content. Web pages do not have any height of their own, only the height of their content.

Second, the template I am looking at has a footer set to 100% that goes across the whole width of the screen (I’m working on a 27" iMac). However, when I try to replicate these settings on my own page, it sticks at my 1200px page width. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Your page is set to a fixed width. You can set it to Flexible using the Measurements section of the Page Inspector.

Note that you will then also need to ensure that all other elements in the hierarchy from outermost to your target element are also defined in a percentage width. When you say 100%, you always have to ask “100% of what?”. Any parent element up to the PageDiv may be set to a fixed dimension, and that will be the outermost bound of any dimensions your page elements will appear to be, when you’re working in an inline layout.

Walter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks, Walter.

It’s a big change from how I used to do it, but I think I’m slowly getting there.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Another question…

My home page has three boxes of text that sit adjacent to each other on a wide screen and condense down into one column in the mobile view.

The columns are in order of priority from left to right, so I want the left column on the large screen to appear at the top of the mobile screen, the centre column underneath that and so on.

However I create the boxes, when I use the inline method they are always the wrong way round and I can’t reorder them either on the screen or in the Page palette on the left of screen (it won’t let me drag and drop to change the order).

Any suggestions?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If you set the three boxes as inline children of another box (or the page) and you set each of them to float left and have a fixed size, then you should get this behavior automatically. Think of each box as a word in a sentence. If you make the paragraph narrower, so that only one word will fit on a line, then you have your layout. Does that make sense? If you don’t want to make them fixed size, then at the desktop size, set them to 33% or similar (depends on any padding) and at the mobile size, set them to 100%. That should also work, as long as they are floated left. You can’t drag inline layout elements (except to rearrange them in source order), you can only change their relative positions through the Inspector settings.

| [box 1] [box 2] [box 3 ]|

| [box 1] |
| [box 2] |
| [box 3 ] |

Like that.

Walter

On Jan 27, 2018, at 9:06 AM, Jenny email@hidden wrote:

Another question…

My home page has three boxes of text that sit adjacent to each other on a wide screen and condense down into one column in the mobile view.

The columns are in order of priority from left to right, so I want the left column on the large screen to appear at the top of the mobile screen, the centre column underneath that and so on.

However I create the boxes, when I use the inline method they are always the wrong way round and I can’t reorder them either on the screen or in the Page palette on the left of screen (it won’t let me drag and drop to change the order).

Any suggestions?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks, Walter, that’s working perfectly now.

But I now seem to have another issue…

I have set up my master page with a header followed by a number of full width inline HTML holders (boxes) for content.

The holders are stacked on top of each other, pushing down towards the footer. The first holder contains a row of buttons, the second contains some text and the third contains the three boxes I asked about in my original question.

In the fourth holder, I have put some more centred text. However when I preview the site, rather than sitting centrally underneath the boxes this text is interfering with the right hand box in the holder above.

I have tried a number of things, including increasing the holder padding to create a larger space between the content, but nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think I’m going to need to see this. Can you upload it somewhere and send a link?

Walter

On Jan 28, 2018, at 5:57 AM, Jenny email@hidden wrote:

Thanks, Walter, that’s working perfectly now.

But I now seem to have another issue…

I have set up my master page with a header followed by a number of full width inline HTML holders (boxes) for content.

The holders are stacked on top of each other, pushing down towards the footer. The first holder contains a row of buttons, the second contains some text and the third contains the three boxes I asked about in my original question.

In the fourth holder, I have put some more centred text. However when I preview the site, rather than sitting centrally underneath the boxes this text is interfering with the right hand box in the holder above.

I have tried a number of things, including increasing the holder padding to create a larger space between the content, but nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter

Thanks for coming back to me.

I decided to put the text in a different coloured band, so made the background colour of the holder box blue.

You can see, when you expand and collapse the window, that it moves up into the holder box above it. I thought that wasn’t supposed to happen in an inline design, so I’m wondering if I’ve made a fundamental error somewhere.

Also, the read more buttons shift up and down independently of each other as you collapse the window. Is there any way to keep them all aligned with each other?

Here’s the link:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Make sure you set the height to Flexible on all of your inline boxes (holders and content boxes). Also be sure you do this last, after you’ve added content to them, as changing this property from the default will cause an empty box to become zero-height (which is hard, but not impossible, to deal with in the layout).

Remember, nobody on earth besides you will be sliding the window width back and forth to see what you’ve done with your responsive layout. The point of this exercise is to have a layout that works “appropriately” at each of the basic device sizes you expect to serve to. From what I see here, you appear to be on the right path.

Walter

On Jan 28, 2018, at 10:25 AM, Jenny email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter

Thanks for coming back to me.

I decided to put the text in a different coloured band, so made the background colour of the holder box blue.

You can see, when you expand and collapse the window, that it moves up into the holder box above it. I thought that wasn’t supposed to happen in an inline design, so I’m wondering if I’ve made a fundamental error somewhere.

Also, the read more buttons shift up and down independently of each other as you collapse the window. Is there any way to keep them all aligned with each other?

Here’s the link:

http://www.jennylucascopywriting.co.uk/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Not unless you can guarantee the height of the objects above them at every window width. This is a common request, but it’s not really how inline layouts work, unfortunately.

Walter

On Jan 28, 2018, at 10:25 AM, Jenny email@hidden wrote:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for your positive comments, Walter. It feels like a bit of a minefield to be honest. One wrong move and the whole thing messes up.

I put the text in the blue bar, then set the height to ‘flexible’ and did the same for the other boxes on the page.

Now the blue holder, which is positioned inline, below the holder with the boxes in it, has completely taken over the holder box above it.

I have uploaded it to the same address so you can see.

I’m also getting another issue. In Freeway on the Phone 320 view. For some reason it has reset the page width to 503 and I can’t seem to change it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Okay, that means you should experiment with the Clear settings. Clear goes with Float – if you have an item floated left, and set to clear left, then another left-floated item will cause it to move out of the way (break to the next line). I recommend that you fiddle with this in a separate document with just one page, so if you mess it up, you won’t have any compunctions about throwing it out and starting over.

Walter

On Jan 28, 2018, at 12:39 PM, Jenny email@hidden wrote:

Thanks for your positive comments, Walter. It feels like a bit of a minefield to be honest. One wrong move and the whole thing messes up.

I put the text in the blue bar, then set the height to ‘flexible’ and did the same for the other boxes on the page.

Now the blue holder, which is positioned inline, below the holder with the boxes in it, has completely taken over the holder box above it.

I have uploaded it to the same address so you can see.

I’m also getting another issue. In Freeway on the Phone 320 view. For some reason it has reset the page width to 503 and I can’t seem to change it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Or try applying the Auto Clearfix action to your page Auto Clearfix - ActionsForge

Gordon
https://www.gordonlow.net/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden