[Pro] Accidental deletion of site, how to restore?

Hi

I’m not sure quite how, but somewhere along the line I seem to have uploaded the wrong version of my site up to fasthosts.com, and I can’t find my my most up-to-date version. It has all my gallery pictures on it, and I really don’t want to have to redo it unless I have to, as there are hundreds of them.

I’ve found a backup in my documents, which when I open it up in Freeway, looks like I have everything I need in it, but when I try to upload it to fasthosts, I get the dialog box looking for files.

What do I need to do to get this site whole again and back up again?

Hope you can help as it’s driving me nuts.

Best

Heather

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I get the dialog box looking for files.

Edit>Resources

This will take you to a dialogue box where you can see the status of each of your Resource.

Select any that have a status of Missing and use the Edit button (bottom right) to bring up a further dialogue box where one of the options is ‘Locate’ - this will allow you to use the Finder to locate your original images. Provided you haven’t trashed them as well.

Only link to original images - do not link to images that are contained within a FW created Site folder.

Once you have found/located them all you will be GTG. Dont forget to Save a backup version.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi
Thanks for that.
I went to Edit>Resources and it’s not showing any as missing.
But when I go to upload, it asks me to choose a site folder.
I’m not quite sure what it’s looking for, and I haven’t knowingly trashed anything!
Ta
Heather

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m not quite sure what it’s looking for, and I haven’t knowingly trashed anything!

As it’s said - a site folder! And obviously you exactly thrashed this one.

Chose file → Document Setup …

Tab “Document” (the first) → Site-folder → select and create a new folder.

Make sure to organize yourself!!!

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

But when I go to upload, it asks me to choose a site folder.

It sounds like you have Trashed the original Site Folder.

This is no big deal as the Site Folder is where FW outputs all the html files and other Resources that are used in your Site .

When you Publish or Preview then FW puts all these files in the Site Folder.

As Thomas suggests all you need to do is Create a new Site Folder.

You can do this in the Finder first and then Select it from File > Document Set Up or you can do it all in FW - you choose.

Generally a good location for the Site Folder is within your Project Folder.

A typical Project Folder that I set up contains the .freeway document, a Media folder (for all original images, artwork etc. that I will import into my FW doc) and the Site Folder. After you have worked on your FW file for a while FW will helpfully create a .fwbackup file in that Project folder too.

If you have started your Project from a FW Template then that folder structure will have been created for you by FW.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi there,
Thanks everyone, all sorted, created new site folder and it’s all back up and hunky dory again.
Project folder…? Not sure where that is either!But I know where I’ve put the site folder and I’ve called it the same name aa my document name, so that’s a start…
I can imagine you all despairing of me, Sorry!
Thanks so much!
Best
Heather

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for the suggestion though David, will sort that out tomorrow, I might have a fighting chance of not deleting it again if I do that!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You don’t happen to have TimeMachine enabled by any chance? Even though it’s a OS X feature I use since it’s introduction in OS X 10.5 I sometimes totally forget about it :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I do have it enabled and the hard drive plugged in most of the time, so pretty sure it’s backed up :slight_smile:

The problem was I wasn’t sure what I was looking for, and not created a new website for ages, so couldn’t remember that there is a .fwy file, media file and a site folder.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden