[Pro] add class to div Unify CMS

Further to my search for friendly CMS for Freeway I came across Unify

It claims to be simple to use so I paid for a site use (£15) not much to loose if it fails!

I published a page and opened it in TextWrangler and inserted the

class=“unify” (more by accident than chance - ha ha)

to the div

On publish it seems works pretty well.

My question is upon selection of a DIV in FW where is best to add this class so I know it is being inserted in the correct place.

Im I correct in using item - extended - div or is it div style?

I need to experiment a bit more with it but it appears to let me edit ALL the contents within a div be it heading, body text or images.

Anyone see any downsides to this or is it a contender for use in FW?

Regards

Trevor

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Im I correct in using item - extended - div or is it div style?

Why not create a new style in the Style Inspector

Name: unify - nothing in Tag field and you shouldn’t need any attributes.

Apply to any item(Div) that you want to make editable.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

There are some important things to note: Unify elements do not nest—meaning that you should not place Unify classes within other “unify” or “unifyRepeat” elements—but if you do nest them, Unify will only read the outer-most element. Also, Unify classes must only be applied to block-level elements.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Sounds like a plan! Thank you.

If you get a few mins can you have a look at the Unify site and let me know what you think.

Only reason I ask is cos I was having a bit of a problem with the test page and email their support and they got back saying my test FW page was full of errors when checked with validator.w3.org and stated: I must point out, though, that your use of the code generator is not advisable.
it is using IDs, which coupled with repeating elements creates numerous errors of ID duplication (and more). I would expect that it would soon render Unify dysfunctional. Unify is compatible only with valid markup and is not meant to be used with any sort of dynamic platforms.

Take care and best of luck! Once you get your markup back to valid, if you have any further problems I’ll be happy to help.

Way beyond me!

Trev

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Sorry

just got your message as I posed my last.

The rough layout of what I need and I applied the Unify to is

http://www.metbergenviro.co.uk/p2.html

I added the class to the outer div containing the news heading, the image the caption and the text. and another to the trade shows one . Is this not the case and should I be applying the class to each div I want to edit. if that is the case how would I repeat the whole news block for an new item?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Trevor,

unfortunately I can’t help you with your problem, but have a small question:

Years ago, I gave Unify a go.

The knock-out for this product to me was, that you haven’t had a chance to keep content AFTER slightly adjusting the HTML. So CMD-P in Freeway destroyed all inserted content and you had to re-enter it again.

Is this still an issue or did they change something here?

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On Nov 13, 2015, at 5:20 AM, t50ufo email@hidden wrote:

Sounds like a plan! Thank you.

If you get a few mins can you have a look at the Unify site and let me know what you think.

Only reason I ask is cos I was having a bit of a problem with the test page and email their support and they got back saying my test FW page was full of errors when checked with validator.w3.org and stated: I must point out, though, that your use of the code generator is not advisable.

My guess here is that they are looking at the code after it has been altered by Unify, not before. Freeway never generates duplicate IDs – it really cannot be made to do this unless you do extraordinary things with the Extended interface. Unfortunately, Freeway also uses IDs to hang styling references, rather than classnames, and that means that when you are building a template using Freeway, you need to take some extra steps to ensure that the elements can be repeated “legally”. I wrote a few Actions years ago that deal with this – Anonymous is one of them – but if you use these, you may need to alter how you style elements in your page. Following Freeway’s WYSIWYG interface and standard output will only work if you are not looping to generate additional copies of existing page elements.

Finally (and I think this gets to what Thomas asks later in this thread) it appears to me that Unify uses the HTML itself as its data store, and rewrites the Freeway-generated HTML as you edit the page. This means that your templates are not really templates, they are more like a sketchbook that will be altered over time, rendering redesign impossible in the Freeway paradigm. Could you make a test page, and alter it using the Unify editor, and then upload again? I would love to know if this removes the changes and resets the page back to what you designed in Freeway.

it is using IDs, which coupled with repeating elements creates numerous errors of ID duplication (and more). I would expect that it would soon render Unify dysfunctional. Unify is compatible only with valid markup and is not meant to be used with any sort of dynamic platforms.

Take care and best of luck! Once you get your markup back to valid, if you have any further problems I’ll be happy to help.

Way beyond me!

Trev

Walter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Aha - thanks Walter.

Regarding the ID to class, I once did a screencast cause nearby all CMS do have “loops” so it’s important to remove the ID anyway. I’m used to use the ID to class Action cause it even grabs the ID styles, turning them into class styles and rewrite them into the head part.

If it is of interest:

http://www.kimmich-digitalmedia.com/videos/007_wpc-ids-to-class-more-valid-html

The action is on forge.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for your input guys.

Pretty intense stuff!

On a practical note - should I be applying ID to Class Action to all Unify elements on my FW page. I do need the functionality of repeating or looping the original item.

My end use is a page where client can add text for jobs available and a simple news page with a heading - image and news text.

So - what about correct placement of the class element for the loop - where should I placing that in FW.

See here:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

should I be applying ID to Class Action to all Unify elements on my FW page

Dont think it is really necessary. Just add the Unify class to each element you wish to be editable. Being careful not to have nested Unify areas.

However - as Thomas has pointed out - Unify rewrites the page html code so any subsequent publish in FW will obliterate any User added content.

Bearing that in mind I would create a standalone FW document for the Unify page(s) so that it can only change when user adds/edits content not every time that you republish. Unless you particularly want to have to add all the User added content every time.

As to the Loop thing - haven’t looked at that.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The other thing that I have concerns about is whether Unify is actively being supported/updated. There is nothing I see on their site that is particularly recent.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Dave

I have used Web Yep successfully for years and would prefer to use it again in this case. I have in the past been able to use Tinymce and CK editor but the setup details from the YebYep manual don’t match up to the files supplied in the editor downloads.

That would sort my problem right away. I have emailed Max directly to see if he can help. The editor wouls place all the elements in one go - Heading, Picture and text and not have to use the individual elements in YebYep.

Unify is indeed very like the web yep system but as you say it has drawbacks.

Trev

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have found some more bits and pieces on the editors and Web yep so am going to try again - I have so many different files for this - it has got confusing. So gonna start again from scratch and see how it goes.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

So

I have managed to get the editor to work in Web Yep great and easy BUT to add images it needs a 3rd party add on at £64 (for either editor) .

It is easier to use but the site licence of a Unify site is £15! that will edit and upload images from the desktop! Arragh!!! If I only had a proper 123 reference to using it in FW.

What a nightmare - why the * * * * can Softpress not offer a built in CMS system that is easy to use and a wow type slider and a site search that is not “simple” but easy and so many more BASIC website requirements.

Going round in circles here.

If I could just get my head round some system that will work out of the box and get my life back that would be just dandy.

Really SOFTPRESS, as I look at my FW Version 3 Jewel Case have you really come on that far?

Another day wasted. Yes very angry - very tired.

T

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have not been following this thread but am I correct in thinking you want to use WebYep with TinyMCE (or CKEditor) to upload images?

If so, there are a few 3rd Party file managers (at least 3 I know of) that are designed to integrate with the more popular Rich Text Editors like Tiny and CK. One of them even uses Adobe’s Aviary editor which allows for a ridiculous amount of basic image tweaking right from the editor. And it’s all free.

The one I use for production work is:
Responsive
Enormously customizable
Works with Tiny, CKE, and CLEditor
Can be used as a standalone file manager
Image editor
Runs on jQuery.

The one I use for client work has been (very) heavily customized and the CMS I use it with is not WebYep so I can’t speak for that aspect, but if you are able to run TinyMCE 4 with WebYep then it should work since the filemanager is dependent on the RTE, not the CMS.

I find it a tremendous tool for securely managing media on a membership site.

Of course if this is not what you want then disregard.

Todd
https://creativ.space
https://xiiro.com

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hiya Todd

Thanks for your reply. I will certainly take a look at this - but perhaps tomorrow - I am knackered - been fighting with this all day!

And yes - I just need a simple method of adding a photo to the run of WebYep Rich Text.

Kind Regard s

Trev

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

What a nightmare - why the * * * * can Softpress not offer a built in CMS system that is easy to use and a wow type slider and a site search that is not “simple” but easy and so many more BASIC website requirements.

Because SP write software that creates web pages not CMS.

Do you really want their staff spread thinly, supporting yet another product and taking time and effort away from developing their Core product? Could it generate any income?

And what % of FW users would use a CMS anyway?

I understand your frustration but don’t blame FW for any shortcomings you find in your Editors or Unify’s documentation.

The decision making process before choosing any CMS system is a long one - what doesn’t meet your needs exceeds many others. One of the reasons why there are so many to choose from! You have only scratched the surface if you have looked at 3 or 4.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Todd

I see there is some code to use this with the editors and web yep - as you have used this before:

can I ask you please how to integrate it with TinyMCE (or CKEditor) through FW.

Sorry haven’t replied sooner - have a sister very ill.

Regards

Trev

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

hi trev contact me directly and i expand on the new webyep 2 features which include an integrated richtext editor and yes a file and image upload with a library
On a side note the commercial license for something like redactor is 1400 dollars so seeing a cost of 64 pounds has to be weighed with: you are getting a richtext editor for free plus how much time it saves you and how much you value your own time.

anyway contact me directly and lest see what we can do

max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Trev,

It sounds like Max has his own solution for upload management with WY.

If you still want to try integrating RFM contact me off-list and I will try to help as best I can.

Todd
https://creativ.space
https://xiiro.com

On Nov 25, 2015, at 9:03 AM, t50ufo email@hidden wrote:

Todd

I see there is some code to use this with the editors and web yep - as you have used this before:

http://www.responsivefilemanager.com

can I ask you please how to integrate it with TinyMCE (or CKEditor) through FW.

Sorry haven’t replied sooner - have a sister very ill.

Regards

Trev

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden