[Pro] "Add to favorites"

Is there any way to easily add a “wish list” or “add to favorites” function to a Freeway site? I think I would prefer using profile data over session or having a client log into an account.

Thanks, David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

to easily add a “wish list” or “add to favorites” function to a Freeway site?

Not quite sure what you mean by adding it to a site.

Do you mean as part of a cart system - or just to Browser favourites?

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi and thanks for the reply.

We want for clients to be able to save items to a wish list, which I imagine would work very much like a shopping cart but with no checkout function. Mal’s is our shopping cart provider, and he says it a hosting server issue, not anything to do with him. I know it’s an aspx , server-side project, but I was hoping something like the E-buy Form action could be extended to include “save to favorites” language since the item number or SKU is already input into that form.

Tiffany calls it “save this item,” and you can see how they handle it here:

http://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/brooches/tiffany-co-schlumberger-five-leaves-clip-14299963?fromGrid=1&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+287461-s+5-r+-t+-ni+1-x+-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+0+2&search=0&origin=browse&searchkeyword=&trackpdp=bg&fromcid=287461

I figure our server (GoDaddy) would require some tweaking to handle the request, but at this point I’m just trying to figure out how to get started.

Thanks, David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It sounds as though Mals isn’t going to provide this service for you, and if you squint a little, you can see why – they only make money when people buy things. It’s disingenuous of them to say that it’s a server-side problem on your host, and although I usually have quite a few choice things to say about GoDaddy, the issue is that they (Mals) don’t offer that service as part of their product.

Mals is designed to work on a static site, and it uses JavaScript on your site to interface with their server. There are other systems that allow you to have a more full-featured cart, but they would require you to switch to PHP or another server-side language, and you would need to build your store around the database and a templating system, rather than having a pure HTML designed page for each product. For certain kinds of stores, this is actually a very good idea – if you have dozens or hundreds (or more) products, building a static page for each product is a wasteful endeavor.

If you do go down that road, there are many questions you will need to consider and answer. For example, if you have limited stock of an item, and many people put it on their wish list or in their cart, what do you do if there is no stock when they return or decide to check out? You’ll also want to evaluate how flexible the template system is, and how easy it is to make it match the rest of your site.

Walter

On Jan 27, 2016, at 9:26 PM, David email@hidden wrote:

Hi and thanks for the reply.

We want for clients to be able to save items to a wish list, which I imagine would work very much like a shopping cart but with no checkout function. Mal’s is our shopping cart provider, and he says it a hosting server issue, not anything to do with him. I know it’s an aspx , server-side project, but I was hoping something like the E-buy Form action could be extended to include “save to favorites” language since the item number or SKU is already input into that form.

Tiffany calls it “save this item,” and you can see how they handle it here:

http://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/brooches/tiffany-co-schlumberger-five-leaves-clip-14299963?fromGrid=1&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+287461-s+5-r+-t+-ni+1-x+-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+0+2&search=0&origin=browse&searchkeyword=&trackpdp=bg&fromcid=287461

I figure our server (GoDaddy) would require some tweaking to handle the request, but at this point I’m just trying to figure out how to get started.

Thanks, David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options