[Pro] Adding a single item to a master

So I screwed up… as I sometimes do. An old site I built a while back does not have the address at the bottom of the page included in the master page. Today that client asked me to change the address and now I have to do it manually on about 30 pages. Doable but what a drag. My question is, am I missing something about master pages and adding items to them? ie if I add the address to the master page now, nothing happens on the all the other pages. I can’t select “reapply master” because it blows away everything on the page that was intentionally added manually. Is there a way to add a single item to a master page and have it appear on all pages with that master applied? Or is there a w ay to “reapply master” without destroying the rest of the page?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hi Brian,

Are you using Freeway 7?

If so, there are some Use Master checkboxes which you can use to reapply master content.

For example, you could add the address in a separate box on the master page. Then if it doesn’t show up on other pages, find the parent item where you would expect it to be and select “Use Master Children”. This won’t delete any non-master children or content, but if it adds other child elements that you don’t want you can just delete them.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for your reply. yes using Freeway 7. But the only place I see the option for “Use Master Children” is when you select the whole page. I can’t select an HTML item on a page and get that option. It’s also greyed out. I can only access it when I select “use master content” and that’s the step tat blows everything else away.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. yes using Freeway 7. But the only place I see the option for “Use Master Children” is when you select the whole page. I can’t select an HTML item on a page and get that option. It’s also greyed out. I can only access it when I select “use master content” and that’s the step tat blows everything else away.

If “Use Master Children” is greyed out, it should also be selected - meaning that all the master children of this item are present. The reason it’s greyed out in this situation is because it makes sense to add missing children (by turning the option on), but it’s not clear what should happen if you turn this option off (should Freeway remove one of the master children?)

I think the issue that you’re facing is that “Use Master Children” will bring back layer boxes, but it doesn’t bring back inflow boxes - because these are considered to be part of the parent box’s content.

In general, this might be an argument for using wrapper items. If you have a master page with three sections (header, main, and footer - say), you can add stuff on the actual pages within those items but as long as you don’t add any other content in the parent of the three sections (the pagediv) you can always go back and add extra sections to the master page. Ditto for the content within sections: if you add subsections (child items) on the master page rather than on the actual page, you can then add more subsections to the master page at a later date. Essentially, you try to isolate the situations in which Use Master Content gets turned off.

The important thing to realise about Use Master Content is that it only applies to the immediate content of a page or item. If you turn on Use Master Content for a page, it will bring back the master content that is in the pagediv, but it won’t change the master content of items that are within the pagediv. So, going back to the example of three sections (inflow items) within the pagediv: you could turn on Use Master Content for the footer section, and it would bring back the master content for that section - but it wouldn’t change the content in other sections, or in subsections of the footer section.

If it’s impossible to turn on Use Master Content without losing data on the actual page - one way that you could work around this would be to make a temporary duplicate of the actual page and copy data back from the duplicate after you’ve turned Use Master Content on.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks very much for that informative reply. To be honest, this site in question is the first responsive one I ever made, and it’s a bit of a mess. Nowadays I do what you describe. But I wasn’t aware that you could manage master elements this way. Thanks very much!!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden