[Pro] Advice sought on upload issues

Hello,

I have a site which I have not had to do any work on for some time.
It is hosted, not through my choice, on 1and1.co.uk servers.

I had to make a change recently and now the site won’t upload as before from Freeway 5.5 in which it was built.
The site has not been rebuilt yet in freeway 7 as the client hasn’t requested it to be responsive yet.

When I go to upload then I get the warning that it failed to upload as it failed to connect. Every attempt fails but at different times during the upload process.
The ftp details are correct and are the same details used in Transmit which I use to upload other items to the server and to check files.
I have tried uploading the files from the site folder on the mac direct to the server via transmit but there appears to be some inconsistency when viewed in the browser.

I am just wondering if there is any advice from anyone who may have experienced a similar issue at all or from anyone who may have insight into what the issue may be. Its very frustrating.

Really appreciate any thoughts on this.

many thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I have tried uploading the files from the site folder on the mac direct to the server via transmit but there appears to be some inconsistency when viewed in the browser.

If you want to ensure that you get on the server what is on your Mac using an FTP app like Transmit then the easiest way is to upload the entire contents of your Mac based Site Folder into a new folder on the server.

Once in the new folder on the server thoroughly test and see that they work/look as you expect before deleting the current site files and replacing with the contents of the newly created folder.

If you want to try an interim upload fix from within FW and its upload facility then just try toggling the FTP mode through the 3 options Passive, Non-Passive and Auto (File > Document Setup > Upload FTP mode is near the bottom) and see if one of those gives better results.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hello David,

Many thanks for your response.

Thinking of this afresh this morning then there appears to be a bit of an issue with the server though the support at 1and1.co.uk (over an hour waiting on the phone for response!) say that there is nothing wrong at their end.

I have done as you mentioned and transferred the files via Transmit. This is buggy and I can only do one file at a time or else I get a warning to say that it could not connect. Fortunately its not a big number of files for this site.
This is possibly the same issue as Freeway is having. I have tried a multitude of combinations of FTP, SFTP, FTPS both passively, non passively and on automatic, also with variations in the server name from the one I had been using before to the one suggested in the 1and1 control panel. The most successful combination is in fact the way I had it set up to start with though this fails to upload after 1 to about 7 or 8 files. Its very inconsistent.

There must be some disparity between my ip address and the server that 1and1 are not yet picking up on. I guess I may have to phone them again!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have done as you mentioned and transferred the files via Transmit. This is buggy and I can only do one file at a time or else I get a warning to say that it could not connect. Fortunately its not a big number of files for this site.

Our experience in debugging this problem is that some web hosts definitely limit the number of concurrent connections, but in some cases it’s the internet service provider itself that does so.

When the web host limits concurrent connections you will find that you are unable to connect to their FTP server for a few minutes, but connecting to a different FTP server works fine.

When the ISP limits concurrent connections, presumably as a technique to mitigate botnet attacks, you will find that not just the web host FTP server can’t be reached, rather no FTP connection to any web host will work, again usually for a few minutes.

I don’t recall 1and1 limiting concurrent connections but I might be wrong on this, we have many customers with different web hosts.

Transmit has a preference setting in the transfer section where you can set the number of concurrent connections, “Transfer up to XX files simultaneously”. Try setting that to 1.

Hope this helps.

Duncan
http://sparkle.cx http://sparkle.cx/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options