[Pro] backdraft and mals e-commerce problems

hi,
i have been building a new site using backdraft. the site is an update of a previous site i made using freeway pro which included mals e-commerce buy now buttons - which all worked fine. with the new site i have copied over the setting from the original site, but now the buy now buttons come up with the config error:

Sorry, it was not possible to load your new configuration: It was not possible to connect to your webserver at:

the upload settings are the same as before, and the web address is all correct, but i just can’t get it to work!

i have kept the old version of the website on the server, and if i route through to it the buy now buttons still work.

http://www.tgpublishingltd.com/old_site2015/artbooks.html

so i’m not sure if there is some problem with backdraft or i’m just doing something totally wrong…

http://www.tgpublishingltd.com/Books/Contemporary%20Art/nordiccontempora.html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

In a previous version of Backdraft, Caleb told me it wouldn’t work with my Mal’s e-commerce. I have contacted him regarding the new version to see if that is fixed. No answer yet, but it was just a couple of days ago.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello,

I can’t see any further updates on this subject in these forums. That in itself can be interpreted in several ways of course!

Just wondered of there had been any further information about combining Backdraft and Mals Ecommerce.

I wasn’t sure where issues could emerge. Before launching into a new setup based on these two componentsI was looking to see if there were existing issues still if at all.

Many thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The author of Backdraft stopped posting here years ago, and while he was a great help to all who bought his templates, I think he saw the writing on the wall when Freeway 7 brought platform-level support for responsive layouts. His work was amazing, and really stretched the limits of what Freeway 6 could do, but it was a stop-gap measure.

Walter

On May 28, 2020, at 10:38 AM, tonzodehoo email@hidden wrote:

Hello,

I can’t see any further updates on this subject in these forums. That in itself can be interpreted in several ways of course!

Just wondered of there had been any further information about combining Backdraft and Mals Ecommerce.

I wasn’t sure where issues could emerge. Before launching into a new setup based on these two componentsI was looking to see if there were existing issues still if at all.

Many thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hullo Walter,

Thanks for your response as ever.

I suppose I was curious about this reported issue as I couldn’t see how the Backdraft structure would not work with Mals from a technical point of view as one is just a responsive structure to customise and design on top of and Mals is a series of actions for ecommerce.

Backdraft was a start point for a few projects but as you say Freeway 7 can do all it can anyway.

I guess Caleb Grove has moved on to other things. His work and support were much appreciated over the years.

I shall carry on with what I was hoping to achieve anyway.

All the very best for now

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I must be a bit old fashioned - I still use backdraft! I find it an incredibly easy way to create responsive websites (not that I do many, which is why I use it!).
No messing with breakpoints either.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello Noel,

It is a useful start point but I guess many of the things I want to achieve require something more than what it offers initially. Its a good way to get something up and running fairly quickly and easily for those of us who are evolving into responsive website builders and designers.

As with anything there is a bit of effort needed to push things that bit further but it is however rewarding to see the end product, when it works!

Thanks for your comment.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

http://uttoxeterandcheadlevoice.co.uk

For me, Backdraft was the perfect solution to create a simple website like this that is updated almost on a daily basis without any hassle. It does exactly what I wanted it to do - I’m not sure how it could work better by using other, more newer, methods.
I will have to have a look at these newer methods!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hullo Noel,

Thats a busy up to date site. It certainly delivers the information. Good stuff.

Its not so much the newer methods, though in the area of web design such methods are many and are ever evolving, but its more about designing itself and achieving the design you may have in mind within the context of the responsive setup. Using Backdraft is a good structure to start from in achieving as complex or simple a design as one hopes to achieve.

Keep up the good work.

Many thanks again.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello all!

It makes me smile to see the nice comments on this thread.

It has certainly been awhile since I posted on this forum. Like Walter said, I have moved on from using Freeway and now primarily hand-code most of my websites. I found that from a business perspective, I wanted to pursue the more “premium” end of the website design market, and switching over meant that I could tackle more technologies, work with more CMS’s, and so forth. And, honestly, I really enjoy coding and get a greater satisfaction from my work. Fewer “dirty” hacks and workarounds. :slight_smile:

tonzodehoo, it’s been years since I last looked at using mals e-commerce, so my memory of the problem is very fuzzy. I can tell you that nothing has changed in Backdraft that would make it a better fit now than then, but perhaps Mals has updated it’s methods for injecting the necessary UI into the page? You are correct in that Backdraft is nothing more than some prebuilt layouts for Freeway – so if it works in a vanilla Freeway document, it should work in Backdraft.

Regarding Backdraft as a project – I would say that it has likely reached EOL. It was really useful under Freeway 6, as it introduced functionality that wasn’t natively in the program. It was still very popular after Freeway 7 was released, but now as a framework – a fast way to get an inflow responsive website running. Since Softpress hit the reset button, I’ve seen steadily dropping rates of downloads. Now, I scarcely get any visits at getbackdraft.com, let alone any downloads.

It was an awesome project. I learned a lot, from both a technical and business perspective. And I got to meet and work with a lot of great folks.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello Caleb,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate you taking the time.
Glad to hear you are still busy.

I guess with most things then there can be a shelf life. However there are always folk who operate behind the curve of the rapid progress in web development who benefit from the old stuff left on the shelf!

I have been running a couple of test on rough sites using backdraft based structures with Mals and have not come across any issues with any functions so theres life in it all yet!.

Backdraft did give me a start to build confidence to engage with more complex responsive designs so I am grateful for what you created.

All the very best for now

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden