[Pro] Bing says: "Viewport not configured correctly"

Bing’s new mobile test tool says, “Viewport not configured correctly.” I have it on all my pages like this:

The Google mobile tool passes it as Mobile Friendly, but Bing does not. Here’s what Bing recommends: Consider using the following viewport settings to ensure that your page works well on mobile devices:

I can’t recall how/why I initially set it up scaled from 0.25 to 1.60. My question: Is Bing’s content=“width=device-width, initial-scale=1” the best practice? Thanks for any advice.

http://www.jimfeeney.org/cowards-in-pulpit.html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I can’t recall how/why I initially set it up scaled from 0.25 to 1.60.

That is the standard setting in FW - has been since before FW7

The major point about using 7 and building responsive sites is that your pages should flow to fill the viewport no matter the device and that is why you should only need the scaling set to 1

So if your pages are built correctly then that is the scaling you should use.

By the way I see that you are using 7.0.4 - you should update to the latest version.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks, Dave. Helpful.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I haven’t been able to find a way to change the viewport settings in the page’s Inspector Palette (Page button > Mobile) to satisfy Bing. Google’s mobile test tool is fine with the viewport just as I have it in the sample page above. But Bing doesn’t like it.

I try various changes in the Inspector Palette mobile section and upload them, then test them on Bing’s new mobile test tool. Bing still rejects them as not mobile-friendly, saying that they want to see precisely this: <meta name=”viewport” content=”width=device-width, initial-scale=1”>

I haven’t been able to figure out a way to make Freeway do that. Is there a simple fix I’m missing?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Is there a simple fix I’m missing?

Just set Initial Scale, Min Scale and Max Scale all to 100%

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Having had a closer look at this and manually changing a page of mine to the exact requirements they specify.

I have to conclude, after my page failed, that you can safely ignore this part of their test as inaccurate.

Stick to Google!

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ha! Way to go, Bing! Thanks, Dave.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 15 Nov 2015, 10:24 am, DeltaDave wrote:

Is there a simple fix I’m missing?

Just set Initial Scale, Min Scale and Max Scale all to 100%

D

On 15 Nov 2015, 10:45 am, DeltaDave wrote:

Having had a closer look at this and manually changing a page of mine to the exact requirements they specify.

I have to conclude, after my page failed, that you can safely ignore this part of their test as inaccurate.

Stick to Google!

D

Dave, as you suggested, I’m sticking with Google. But just as an experiment I stuck in the Initial Scale, Min Scale and Max Scale all at 100% as you recommended. Still a fail on Bing! I’ve posted Bing’s curious “fails” on this on a couple of forums, hoping that someone with connections to Bing can get through to them to correct their error in the viewport section of their Mobile Friendly tool.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Still a fail on Bing!

And as I said in my post - I submitted a page with the EXACT viewport criteria that they recommended and it still failed. Go figure!

<meta name=”viewport” content=”width=device-width, initial-scale=1”>

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

HA!!! Isn’t the internet wonderful. As I mentioned above, I posted on a couple of forums about Bing’s tool failing my perfectly good, mobilized pages due to viewport “problems.”

Well, lo and behold, all of a sudden my already Google-friendly mobilized pages are now PASSING Bing’s mobile tool. And I haven’t changed a thing from what was already fine per Google’s mobile tool.

Who says internet forums have no power! Actually, Dave, I suspect that Bing somehow got wind of this very thread and saw their error. And BTW, thanks for your tons of help over the years.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jim,

one last thing to mention:

On the home page (and others), the top image(s) are set to fixed widths (e.g. 552px on home). This is NOT perfectly mobile friendly, because it doesn’t fit into a mobile screen, isn’t it? Make sure switching them all to fixed percent values. Even this lil thing may or may not pass “testing tools”.

For all the rest:

Congrats. Good efforts.

Positioning left/right in percentage. I’m honest: haven’t expected it :slight_smile:

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks, Thomas. Yes, I’ve considered making the image(s) at the top mobile-friendly (not fixed-width). But if I shrink both the image and the html box within the image that contains my “brand,” the text in that html item would become quite small if shrunk proportionately with the image. And very small text on the 480 and 320 breakpoints might trigger a “fail” on the mobile-friendly tools.

So as a willing compromise, I have unchecked “display” on the image at the 480 and 320 breakpoints. The image displays only at the non-mobile Default and Tablet breakpoints. So far so good this way on Google and, as of today, on Bing’s mobile test tool.

P.S. Just to be clear, my “brand” is the H1 on the home page, but in almost all my other ~340 pages it is contained within the image at the top.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Why not consider making the top image (hero like) as wide as your max-width go the page. This could look like so, giving you plenty of room for the h1 heading:

For lower breakpoints, take advantage of the ability of adjusting font-sizes for each breakpoint?

Just a proposal and the enormous flexibility of presenting content on every device the best we can (which is my definition of responsive design) - cause it’s a matter of design.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Interesting thoughts, Thomas. Thanks.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden