[Pro] Border-Box or Hyphenate

Hi guys,

kind of a difficult one somehow.

I’m currently building a kind of template where I want to use and do http://materializecss.com in Freeway. It’s to me more a matter of re-usable patterns rather than design approaches. Whatsoever - it’s work but fun (and very, very raw right now):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8231701/cdn-digitalmedia-themes/theGridMaterialz/index.html

The point I’m referring to is (and it happened to me more often):

Breakpoints doesn’t mean page-width. So I set a breakpoint at 1200px but set my page-width to 768px (the narrowest browser-window width on tablet).

####Why this?

This is just because I want to see wether my design (still) works or not. It’s about design not technical constraints. If it breaks, I introduce another breakpoint - but if it works Tablet portrait/landscape showing the exact design (majority).

But having “long words or terms”, Freeway forces me to do something although the browser has still enough space.

####Hummm?

Well - it’s about box-sizing but you already know, do you? Border-box vs content-box, the browser the first, Freeway the latter. So I’m either in need of reducing text-size or have to live with the “broken WYSIWYG construction” in Freeway and adjust DIV-widths by hand.

####So what?

I have no idea at all how to bring two things under one roof. I tend to prefer having Freeway workspace border-box although browser’s standard is still content-box. Another thinkable way would be hyphenate in Freeway. It would ensure box-widths (under some circumstances).

So towers and WYSIWYG experts:

What do you think?

Cheers

Thomas

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8231701/cdn-digitalmedia-themes/theGridMaterialz/index.html

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I have no idea about your main question re border-box but I do like the materializecss stuff - very interesting.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi David,

thanks (we’ll see :-).

Perhaps I should clarify what I mean by less jada jada and more illustrations:

####Freeway

As seen, the content forces the box to 50+%:

This is just because Freeway calculates boxes by its content.

####The Browser

Adjusting the value (from 54,63%) back to 50% in Browser shows, that the content has enough space available:

This is just because the browser calculates boxes by its dimension.

I know how to adjust in Freeway - but it simply sucks to live with the constraints of two different sizing-models.

So I once again call for a workspace “border-box” or an alternative such as forced Hyphenate or even much, much better:

Truncate with Ellipsis

as kind of alternative behavior in Freeway’s workspace - and I’m talking exclusively about FREWAYs behavior.

Hope it does make sense.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

So I once again call for a workspace “border-box”

So really what you are saying is that you want the FW page to behave as if every item had the Box Sizing (FW7) action applied by default?

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Well - David. I think it’s me who’s wrong. Not entirely, but mostly. Leave it with me for a while, I have to review this issue. I think it’ll be finally a question of page-width (which matters in Freeway but not in my world).

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

So really what you are saying is that you want the FW page to behave as if every item had the Box Sizing (FW7) action applied by default?

Speaking for myself, YES. Mostly.

Resetting the Box Model to me seems as much a good idea as a CSS reset. I consider it a “best practice” for the work that I do (whether it is or not I’m sure is very debatable). Building such abilities into Freeway (that is, to reflect best practices) is a brilliant idea. Freeway suddenly becomes a stronger tool for more involved users while the codeaphobics will never know the difference, nor have to.

I’m also of the opinion that for Freeway Inflow construction, universal box-model:border-box; is essential. Making Freeway calculate the Workspace based on that model would be the most helpful update in years.

How such a thing would be implemented, I also think is important. Right now, Freeway does too much “dumb” code and not enough brilliant code. It’s insistence on ID over Class styles makes for tons of redundant and clownish looking code. Attaching box-model:border-box; to every single item would not be very helpful…

Thomas, I like what you are up to, I always look forward to whatever you are doing. And I think you are right to call for Freeway to operate border-box universally and reflect that calculation in the workspace.

Cheers,

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Regarding the workspace: border-box I have a theory. I think it’s crazy, dumb or even wrong but I think we’re in a pretty safe space so I share it anyway:

####The Black Rectangle

… called page-size. We all know: It doesn’t matter, at least in a dynamic construction.

Adding padding/border reduces the available space. So we need to get space back. By a “dynamic page-size” (without changing its size value) we would get the lost space back.

So the black rectangle gets wider just by the amount of padding/border. It’ll get visually and literally larger without changing the output (if required). By this, a width of an inner box could stay as is (Size equal Dimension equal Required space) which is to me box-sizing:border-box.

I have no idea about the consequences for “static” construction. But I fear that this might be the sticking-point of the operation.

But as a feature which can be enabled somewhere in some (pre) settings, disabled by default?

####The output

Yeah - Ernie. We talked several times about this and we both even tried to figure out a way to “clean” code. Currently it’s simply a time and brain sucking thing. But the time will come we shout for the:

“SuperDIV”

as loud as we can. Rather using action/extended, it’ll ensure a safe and quicker way to throw out crazy things. Oh yeah - a golden future awaits us. Hopefully we still can take part on it.

Looking forward to this (and your opinions naturally as well)

Cheers

Dr. James Moriarty

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden