[Pro] Broken links on website

During re-developement of a web site I have broken the links between index page and the rest of the pages. As a result when I try uploading I get a message ‘Not Found’ How is this best done? Should I for instance export the Site Folder in my Freeway ap to the desktop then relink individual page resources, images/text graphics etc in the folder to all pages, before putting the Site Folder in my root folder in order to upload using my Fetch application by FTP. Please advise how best to pull it all together. Thanks sorry to be so amateurish!!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

As a result when I try uploading I get a message ‘Not Found’ How is this best done?

Do you mean when you click a link on the uploaded html page you get a 404 message?

If so then assuming your pages are based on a Master you should check the links on the Master page. Any changes you make on the Master should then be reflected on the child pages.

If a particular page menu doesn’t update then select the menu container - you are using a CSS menu aren’t you - and make sure that Use Master Content is checked.

Any particular reason why you are not using FW’s built in FTP?

Are you uploading the whole site every time or just selected pages - if the latter it is v difficult to keep track of all files/pages that have changed.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

On 12 Jan 2016, 7:03 pm, DAVID JUDD wrote:

During re-developement of a web site I have broken the links between index page and the rest of the pages. As a result when I try uploading I get a message ‘Not Found’ How is this best done? Should I for instance export the Site Folder in my Freeway ap to the desktop then relink individual page resources, images/text graphics etc in the folder to all pages, before putting the Site Folder in my root folder in order to upload using my Fetch application by FTP. Please advise how best to pull it all together. Thanks sorry to be so amateurish!!

On 12 Jan 2016, 8:18 pm, DeltaDave wrote:

As a result when I try uploading I get a message ‘Not Found’ How is this best done?

Do you mean when you click a link on the uploaded html page you get a 404 message?

If so then assuming your pages are based on a Master you should check the links on the Master page. Any changes you make on the Master should then be reflected on the child pages.

If a particular page menu doesn’t update then select the menu container - you are using a CSS menu aren’t you - and make sure that Use Master Content is checked.

Any particular reason why you are not using FW’s built in FTP?

Are you uploading the whole site every time or just selected pages - if the latter it is v difficult to keep track of all files/pages that have changed.

David

Hi David, many thanks for your reply to this it has I think helped to link the pages. In particular checking the Master Content box on my index meter page. On the point you asked about not using the built in FTP of FW, I would prefer. being a novice to use this method but have had some issues of duplication of files and the manager of my hosting server prefers me to use Fetch. I have also had the 404 message you refer to and now a 530 log incorrect message on the inbuilt ftp. I shall be sure to upload the complete Site folder using Fetch

Thanks for your advice

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I would prefer. being a novice to use this method but have had some issues of duplication of files and the manager of my hosting server prefers me to use Fetch.

FW will never upload duplicates (there may be similarly named files) and for the manager of your hosting service to decide what software you use to upload is plain crazy. Does your car dealership tell you where to buy your fuel?

The fact is that FW has an inbuilt file system that compares the contents of the server with that of your site folder and will only upload files that have changed. For you to do that with Fetch (if you haven’t set up File Syncing correctly) would be a laborious task which means that you are going to be more successful uploading the entire contents of the site folder each time with the caveat that Fetch will ask you if you want to keep the file on the server or not when it encounters a file that exists there already.

You will save so much time by doing it with FW and updating your site will no longer be a many step process.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have now uploaded the Dining Room website. There are still a few issues. On the index page the main heading is missing although it appears on the other pages. Designed using BACKDRAFT modules it is not the easiest of systems, and items can move around. However the site works as a responsive web which is quite amazing.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Your home page is missing the following 2 files

thediningroom.org/css/index.html.css

and

thediningroom.org/Resources/tripadvisorlogo3.gif

Manually upload them and you should be fine

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have a slight criticism - that is the choice of the blue text against the wallpaper type background.

For me there is not enough contrast and it is difficult to read - especially on my phone.

Another thing you should look at is your Page Titles

Your index page has the title of ‘index’ - why not make it something like ‘Welcome to the Dining Room, Northampton’

similarly for your other pages

‘Menus at the Dining Room, Northampton’ etc.

It will help your SEO

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden