[Pro] Building a responsive site from scratch

I have been a Freeway user for a number of years now and am in the process of constructing a new responsive site for the first time.

I have been using the templates that came with the software to get a better understanding of how the responsive sites are put together, but I seem to have a hit a brick wall before I’ve even started.

The HTML items in the templates have a different Inspector interface to the ones I am creating.

For example, in the template the HTML item Inspector options in the top section are: Use Master Content, Use Master Settings, CSS, Colour, Overflow, Clear.

However when I create a HTML item, with the CSS button switched on, the Inspector options are: Layer, Lock, Show, Publish, Colour, Overflow, Wrap.

I think I must be creating the HTML items incorrectly, but I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

The templates are all built using “inline” techniques.

Start a new Document. Double click on the page. You’ll see a caret appear on the page, and you should be able to type something. If that’s all good, delete the text and go to Insert>HTML Item.

A box should appear, and the options in the inspector palette should reflect those you see in the templates.

Get used to working with inline items before taking on anything big or major.

There are a few gotchas that exist - most of which seem to revolve around Freeway seeing clicks as commands to move elements around! This seem to happen to me a lot, and it seems to be caused by involuntary twitches of the wrist or fingers at around the time the click was done. It’s annoying, and the Undo feature in Freeway should put it back to where it was. However, you only have ONE undo. When I work on responsive sites using inline techniques, I also save quite a lot more than usual. If something this this happens, and the undo borks the layout completely, I can revert to a last known good save.

Also, in the Debug menu in Safari, you’ll see an Enter Responsive Design Mode menu item, which lets you see your layout in various widths. The browser does scale the display to fit the window, so you may see some artefacts from that scaling (antialiased text can suffer), it’s a good guide, but do test on real hardware as well.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Paul

Thank you so much for your help.

I have been messing around with this for hours and getting nowhere!

Thanks for the additional tips too, much appreciated. I’ll be careful to save regularly and not click too randomly.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Jenny
there is a great guide I used years ago with step by step instruct for responsive design
https://download2.softpress.com/docs/Extended_Reference_For_FW7.pdf
good luck

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Many thanks, Carla.

That’s very kind of you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You might also find Backdraft by Caleb Grove useful for making responsive sites.

Backdraft 2.0: The responsive framework to super-charge Freeway 7 - Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

As a side note – Between the PDF that Carla mentioned above and Backdraft, it’s puzzling why more Freeway user sites are not responsive. I suspect its due to the added work and needed thought process required. Hopefully the next version of the Freeway will be as such to allow people to feel more comfortable building responsive sites.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Actually I second that advice from FreewayPro _User as it was Caleb Groves Backdraft which gave me the important knowledge of responsive layouts before FW7 was available years ago

good luck!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden