[Pro] can't open a new archive i created

I can’t open and publish an archive I created. I’ve made several new archives in the past, but this time when I go to the Freeway menu and click File:open, that takes me to my documents folder where my new archive is located and when I click on the name of my new archive only the “cancel” button is available, the “open” button is gray. The Freeway Pro version I’m using is 5.6.5. Please help! (I know only basics so I can’t handle technical language, unfortunately!)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

You dont open the Archive file itself - rather the FW document that is within the Archive folder.

The Archive Folder contains all the elements that make up your website including the FW doc and the Media used.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you so much! I don’t know how I made such a mistake. I knew I’d find help here!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I spoke too soon. Several pages are viewable, but the rest (which include many pictures) show blanks where the pictures and captions should be. When I hit preview I see the captions but no pictures. Is it a matter of time because there are so many pictures involved?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Once you have opened the archive file choose Edit>Resources to see the status of all the files/images etc. used in your document.

If any have the Status of Missing then hilight the file and choose Edit from the bottom RH corner.

That will bring up a further dialogue box where you can use the Locate button to search for the missing file on your HD - it should be in the Media Folder within the Archive folder if you have archived correctly.

With the missing file found/selected click on the Open button (bottom right) to complete the exercise.

Usually once you have found one missing file then FW will update all others in the same location.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I am curious to know why you are working on an archived version though. Was there a problem with the original FW doc?

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

No. These are the instructions I’ve followed in the past to create an archive:
"Sometimes it can get confusing as to where all your linked files are and which is the latest version of things - so every now and again I recommend you make an “archive” of your site project so you can gather everything together into the same place and to make sure you know which version you’re working on.

To do this, open your latest Freeway file and go to File>Save Archive. Choose a name and location for where to save the archive folder and save it to your hard disk. Now close the current Freeway file, open the archive folder and work on that folder from now on.

You can now move any older folders and files into a separate folder (perhaps called old files) and I strongly recommend you give the new archive folder a logical name such as adding the date of when it was created in the folder name.

This archive folder will contain everything you need for your site project, apart from any Showcase galleries - so make sure you copy across any .fwgallery and .spg files into your archive folder. Once you’ve done that you might want to consider making a backup of the project by burning the entire archive folder to CD/DVD or copying it onto an external hard disk.

To go forward, open the archive folder and carry on working. You might also want to clear the Open Recent by choosing “Clear Menu” at the bottom of the list. Upload the Freeway file and that will mean that everything is nice and tidy as well as being up to date."

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

“Sometimes it can get confusing as to where all your linked files are and which is the latest version of things - so every now and again I recommend you make an “archive” of your site project so you can gather everything together into the same place and to make sure you know which version you’re working on.

Not bad advice but actually it would make more sense if you

1 - Make sure that you copy all files/images that you use into your FW created Media folder and only import them from there.

2 - Do a Save As every so often and append a version# to the file name ie myFWdocV3 or a date stamp myFWdoc130715 (UK date stamp)

An Archive is a great idea if you want to create a backup or send a project to someone or even just make sure you have everything in the one place but surely it is better to have a sound working practice as well.

But all that beside - have you sorted out your non displaying image problem.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks. I’ll keep trying. In Edit:resources there are more "OK"s now than there were, but many missing. I just can’t update my ayresanimalshelter.com until I correct what I’ve done. I appreciate so much your advice. Thanks again.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I just can’t update my ayresanimalshelter.com until I correct what I’ve done.

Not sure why you don’t open the FW file that you used to create the Archive and use that instead.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options