[Pro] can't upload after moving server - [could not initialise CURL]

Hi,

After my hosting provider upgraded me to a new dedicated server, I can no longer upload my Freeway Pro sites.

The upgrade was to a new server with a new ubuntu (I don’t really know what that is)

The thing is, I can still connect to the site using Fetch, just not when I try and upload through Freeway Pro

The error say [Cannot complete upload because could not initialise CURL]

From what I’ve read, I’m wondering if it’s something to do with old stored server keys, or if there is some mystery file I need to delete to get rid of old stored cache files?

Any help would be awesome, I’ve spent 8 hours on this today already, but with no success :frowning:

Thanks!!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Jeremy can say more specific things about this, but from my untutored view, it seems as though your Mac OS installation is missing the CURL library. What version of Mac OS are you using on this machine? How did you install it? Have you used any “cleaner” applications that might have deleted system libraries?

Walter

On Jun 3, 2021, at 6:58 PM, wjordan email@hidden wrote:

Hi,

After my hosting provider upgraded me to a new dedicated server, I can no longer upload my Freeway Pro sites.

The upgrade was to a new server with a new ubuntu (I don’t really know what that is)

The thing is, I can still connect to the site using Fetch, just not when I try and upload through Freeway Pro

The error say [Cannot complete upload because could not initialise CURL]

From what I’ve read, I’m wondering if it’s something to do with old stored server keys, or if there is some mystery file I need to delete to get rid of old stored cache files?

Any help would be awesome, I’ve spent 8 hours on this today already, but with no success :frowning:

Thanks!!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

So, this is the reply I got from my hosting provider, and it doesn’t sound good, tbh:

Hello,

We went really deep on this, getting a few experts involved. Bottom line
you are probably going to have to upgrade your software with the vendor.
This may mean switching to Xway beta per this:

But, I don’t know if they have another solution.

We found ways to add the i386 libraries to the server but that is not the
issue for you, so I’m not including that here.

Here is what revealed the real problem:

Jun 3 16:21:24 ds13274 sshd[7686]: Connection from 143.159.105.205 port
50187 on 208.97.138.108 port 22
Jun 3 16:21:24 ds13274 sshd[7686]: Unable to negotiate with
143.159.105.205 port 50187: no matching key exchange method found. Their
offer:
diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
[preauth]
Jun 3 16:21:24 ds13274 sshd[7686]: Unable to negotiate with
143.159.105.205 port 50187: no matching key exchange method found. Their
offer:
diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
[preauth]

From that we draw the following conclusion:

Your freeway client is too old. It doesn’t have any encryption standards
in common with bionic (the version of Ubuntu) We aren’t allowing your
connection for good security reasons

If you want to edit sshd to support old insecure protocols it would put
your server at risk in ways that are quite technical. If a server
becomes self-managed because the admin (root) user is allowed to change
certain stuff, it may break things and the only way we may have to fix it
is to re-image the server, undoing all customizations.

Feel free to share this with your vendor, as this may lead them to give
you the kind of specific advice you need around their product line.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

So does this mean that Freeway Pro is no longer usable at all, with modern hosting servers?

Or is there a fix?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m using Mojave 10.14.6

I installed it using the system preferences ‘software update’

I’ve tried a MacBook Air 2015 and also, the last MacBook Pro they made, that would install Mojave - neither worked

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi,

Freeway uses libcurl (a third-party library) to connect with servers, and it looks as if the (now old) version that it uses is unable to connect with your server.

However, you can still upload if you use a third-party upload program (Cyberduck, Transmit, Fetch etc.) The way to do this is to select “File Copy” in Freeway’s Upload dialog and “upload” your site to a local upload folder. When you’ve done that, you can use a third-party upload application to synchronise this folder with your online site folder.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks, that is good to know - saves me keep trying to upload via Freeway, at least.

Thanks for the workaround suggestion. It sure is going to be a lot more work, because my site is so complex, it’s become massive and is split across lots of freeway folders/documents now.

If I use Fetch, for example, will it leave all the other files on the server alone, for example js files I have uploaded etc., or would those likely get erased during the process? And would I have to upload each folder separately?

Another thought - do you think that anyone at Softpress would be able to produce a patch to fix this one thing - I’d be willing to pay for that, because it’s so important to my business.

I’m guessing it’s going to be crucial for other people, too?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Unfortunately, it would be a lot of work to patch Freeway. We’d have to use an old version of macOS and an old version of Xcode, and we’d also have to upgrade to the latest version of libcurl and deal with any issues that might arise from doing that.

Uploading as a two stage process shouldn’t involve a lot of extra work. Most upload applications have a synchronise function which will compare local and online folders and only upload changed files.

If you have each of your Freeway documents publishing into a separate folder, then I think you could create a local upload folder that mirrors the online structure. E.g. a parent upload folder with subfolders that have the same names and structure as the online folder. Then you would use your upload application to synchronise the parent folder whenever you have performed a File Copy upload from Freeway - or when you have finished File Copy uploads from multiple Freeway documents.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Expanding on the last paragraph:

Supposing you have an online folder that contains a root directory (uploaded from one Freeway document) and two subdirectories (uploaded from two other Freeway documents), then you would create a local folder (“Upload Folder”) and do a File Copy upload into that from your first Freeway document. Within “Upload Folder” you would then create two subfolders that have the same names as the online folders that you previously uploaded to from your other Freeway documents and do a File Copy upload into these subfolders from your other Freeway documents. After you have done this once, you would continue to use the same File Copy folders for future uploads. The only extra step would be using a third-party application to synchronise the local “Upload Folder” with your online folder.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Jeremy, that is tremendously useful and sounds like a good workaround to keep me going.

I’ll practice on a domain that is not so important, first, then hopefully that will run really smoothly. There could even be some advantages to this way of doing things, in some ways.

I really appreciate the time and effort you’ve taken, in helping me out :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I know Transmit very well, I am sure Fetch has a similar feature: look around for a “synchronize directories” command/menu item. What this will do (in Transmit) is either make the two folders exactly alike in every way (including removing files from the server that are not also present on the local folder), or ensure that anything that is newer on the local side is also updated or created on the remote (server) side.

Depending on how your server is set up, you may want to be conservative about the choice between these options. If your server’s web root includes “hidden” files or folders that it depends on, like .htaccess or .htpasswd or similar, you may want to avoid the option that exactly mirrors the two sides, and stick to the update/add option. You may end up with what looks like wasted space on your server, but the unlinked files will not harm anything, and you may avoid deleting something your server was relying upon.

Walter

On Jun 4, 2021, at 6:59 AM, wjordan email@hidden wrote:

Thanks Jeremy, that is tremendously useful and sounds like a good workaround to keep me going.

I’ll practice on a domain that is not so important, first, then hopefully that will run really smoothly. There could even be some advantages to this way of doing things, in some ways.

I really appreciate the time and effort you’ve taken, in helping me out :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks Walter, that is useful to know too - I have quite a few ‘hidden’ files etc., so will make sure keep the settings so they don’t get deleted.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

By the way, for anyone else having these problems, now or int he future - my dedicated servers running on Debian 9 seem to be uploading just fine, even though that is a pretty new version. But it’s the servers running on Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (Bionic Beaver) that I cannot upload on.

Would be interesting to know if others are able to upload to a server running Bionic Beaver, which would mean it is something else to do with that server’s settings that is problematic.

One advantage, I am finding, with uploading to a ‘File’ and then using Fetch to get it over to the server, is that I can keep working on my Freeway site whilst it is uploading in the background, instead of having to wait for it to finish.

Can always find a silver lining :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden