[Pro] Changing page names

I’m changing some of the page names on my site. For instance the page was initially called “Resume”, I’ve changed that to “About”. The page links in the file work correctly.

The problem comes when I upload the file. I google myself. The browser displays my home page and the other pages. When I click on the home page link, it takes my to the site and everything is good. But when I click on the google link to the “About” page, it say file not found, and in the browser address displayed at the top, google is trying to link to the previous name, (resume.html).

Is this just a matter of waiting and letting google learn the new page names, or do I need to change something in Freeway?

Thanks,
JT

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

JT,

You should add 301 (permanent) redirects to your .htaccess file: http://calebgrove.com/articles/understanding-htaccess-for-humans#permanent-redirects. This will redirect visitors to the correct URL, and notify search engines to update their link.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Caleb Grove,

Thank you for your quick reply. This sounds like exacgtly what I"m looking for, but I’m completely overwhelmed and confused by the link you provided. QUoting from the link:

"Navigate to the chosen directory using your favorite FTP client (I like Forklift; if you are a student, ask about their discount). Set your FTP client to show invisible files.

If the .htaccess file already exists, open it using your favorite text editor (TextWrangler will do the job nicely), and copy-paste the configuration code you want into it, then save.

On the other hand, if there is no .htaccess file, you will need to create one. The easiest way to do this is to create a new file using your favorite text editor on your local machine, name it htaccess.txt, upload it to your server, then rename it to .htaccess. (If you were to name it .htaccess on your hard drive, the computer would recognize it as a system file and make it invisible.)"

What does this all mean?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hmm…well, I wrote that article “for humans”, so if you are confused, I probably need to rewrite parts of it.

Did you read the “What it is” section? That answers most questions people have about the .htaccess file.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Tes, I read the “What is it” and “How to use it”… but basically I don’t know what a FTP Client is or where it is.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ah, okay. I guess I assumed some knowledge that you may not have. Sorry about that!

FTP stands for “File Transfer Protocol”. It’s basically a technology that allows you to manage files on a remote computer (like your web host/server).

When you upload a website from Freeway, you are using FTP. However, to create or edit the .htaccess file, you’ll need a “real” FTP client/application. There are a bunch of these. On the free end, you have FileZilla and Cyberduck. If you want something nicer, I can highly recommend both Forklift and Transmit (don’t buy these from the Mac App Store, they often have to be crippled for Apple to allow them).

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have Cyberduck.

As far as finding this .htaccess file on my computer somewhere? I use Hostmonster to host my site, is the file there?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

As far as finding this .htaccess file on my computer somewhere?

Not on your Computer - on the server.

An htaccess file is an industry standard file but it does depend on the flavour of your hosting package. I hope you are on an apache/linux/unix server and not on a windows server - are you?

If you visit your site in Cyberduck look in the root of your folder for the .htaccess file - you will need to enable (under the View menu) Show Hidden Files as files beginning with a full stop are hidden by default.

If you find the file you will then be able to edit it in Cyberduck to add what you need.

If you dont find the .htaccess file then you will need to create it in a text editor on your Mac first (make sure that you are using Plain Text mode).

Save the file on your mac as htaccess then upload it to your server and only then rename it to include the leading full stop ‘.htaccess’

If you save it on your mac as .htaccess it will become invisible.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Caleb Grove & Delta Dave,

Thank you both for your patience and willingness to help. The page redirects are now working and I’m as happy as a clam.

JT

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden