[Pro] css menu - hamburger not working anymore

Also, and this is critical, publish once (you don’t need to also upload) to clear Freeway’s “what has been published” cache, too. Rarely, this cache will get out of step with the design document without notifying Freeway of the fact. This has led to some really difficult-to-diagnose bugs that only respond to nuke-from-orbit clearing (which is more or less what you are doing here).

Walter

On Jul 30, 2017, at 8:20 AM, Gordon Low email@hidden wrote:

Have you tried deleting every instance of the menu action in your Freeway file? This will make sure any cached versions are removed from your file. Then reapply the current action which you know works elsewhere and see if that makes any difference. I’ve been caught out before with the remnants of an older action stopping an updated one from running properly.

Gordon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Gordon, hi Walter,
thank you very much. My first thought was, this is it! I tried what you said ( delete all css menus actions, cmd p, rebuild a menu or copy an existing that worked) but I am afraid with no luck. :frowning:

I am not a native speaker, what is “nuke-from-orbit clearing”?

Thanks again, Hanna

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I know only too well what it is like to be given hope and for it not to work. Sorry. One last thing I should have included above. If you go to the ‘Edit’ menu and select ‘Actions…’ this should give you a list of all of your actions. Those that have been used in your document will be highlighted in bold. Any orphaned actions (where the code exists in your document but the action has since been removed) should be highlighted at the top in bold under the heading “Actions in document”. When removing all instances of an action as I described before your aim is to make sure that the “Actions in document” section is blank or not shown at all. Maybe you want to try again with this extra check. You may also find an action highlighted in the list you didn’t remember using which can be removed as well.

As a very final option I would delete the DIV holding the menu from all of the pages. Create just the menu on a new blank page and check it works. Then copy and paste this back into the pages on your document (or master page if you are working that way).

Gordon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hanna,

whenever I have a problem that I cannot diagnose easily, this is how I find out what is going wrong. This holds true for any software problem:

(Firstly, you could just try trashing everything in your Site Folder, then preview in your browser. This will completely rebuild the Site Folder). If this doesn’t work …

Make a copy of your file.
Delete half of the elements then preview in the browser.
If the problem still exists, delete half of the remaining elements, then preview … Repeat this process until you are left with only your css menu. If you are left only with the css menu and it is still not working then something may be wrong with the action itself.

However, it is unlikely that you will end up with only the menu, so …

After deleting some items and finding that the problem is resolved, close your document without saving. Re-open it and remembering what group of items you deleted that resolved the problem (screen-grabs can help here) delete half of those items.

Repeat this process until you have narrowed down the possibilities to the item that is causing the problem.

If none of the items are causing the problem, close/re-open without saving (so that you have your document remains in its up-to-date, finished state as usual) and try deleting all your markup, preview and see if the problem is resolved.

Basically, by working through by deleting large chunks of 50% of items or markup at a time, you can very quickly establish what is causing the problem.

I think it is highly unlikely that you will delete everything until the css menu item is the only thing on the page and it still doesn’t publish correctly.

Once you’ve resolved the problem, you can re-open your original document and make the necessary changes. I can’t imagine this process taking more than an hour at most.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It’s a reference to the James Cameron film “Aliens”, where the character Ripley tells her colleagues, “the only solution is to nuke this complex from orbit”. As they learn, too late, she was right.

To break down the idiom, nuke is short for “destroy with nuclear weapons”.

To put it into Freeway terms, it would be like either starting over with a new document, or using an FTP client to delete all files from your server, then deleting all files from the site folder on your Mac, and finally publishing again and uploading. Massive overkill, but sometimes the only way to go.

Walter

On Jul 31, 2017, at 5:22 AM, sonjanna email@hidden wrote:

I am not a native speaker, what is “nuke-from-orbit clearing”?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi, I never write on this blog as I consider myself naive compared to the rest of you but I had the same problem and just fixed it.

I was using the css menus with responsive (hamburger icon) set at 768 and maybe because of an update the hamburger menu stopped working .

All I did was add the action ‘responsive css menu’ to the same nav box so it had both actions on it, published it without bothering to upload, then deleted the responsive css menu from it so it was the same as before and uploaded and I guess it got rid of some gremlins?

I’d also changed the names of the containers but this hadn’t helped - maybe worth trying though if this doesn’t work? Either way I hope this helps, just thought i’d share as it worked for me - good luck all :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Sonjanna,

A quick thing to check is that you have updated the JavaScript file that Freeway puts into the Resources folder related to the responsive menu.

The file in question is normally called:

fwResponsiveMenus.js

However, in certain publish situations it will (like with image resources) append a number to the end of the file. In my case, after republishing my page several times and ONLY UPDATING that html page in my live site folder, I noticed that the hamburger wasn’t working.

So I checked the page code for clues and found that the .js file call looked like this:

Sure enough, when I checked the Resources folder on my Mac, fwResponsiveMenus2.js was in there, but crucially, I’d NOT added to the Resources folder on my live site!

When I did, my hamburger worked again.

This is really a simple error, but because Freeway shields you from a lot of code-related things, it is easy to miss.

If in doubt, just remember to copy the entire site with each update., or at least the resources folder!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Matt, hi Alan, I am sorry to come back to you so late, I was on a sailing trip with bad access to the internet. Thank you so much for your input. I dont have a fwResponsiveMenus2.js in my resources folder, just a fwResponsiveMenus.js… The error occurs already in the preview in FW by the way. I am sure something little went wrong with a huge impact.

I am still struggling and already had to rebuild a website. One other big site still has this problem and I am very grateful for every hint!!!

I really dont like to rebuild this site too ;).

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hanna,

Can you send me a link to the site with the problem?

Thanks,

MAtt :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Matt, thank you for your help. I only can send you the FW-file and one site folder where the menu works and one where it does not work.
(Only an earlier version of the site is online where the menu is still intact.) The strange is, that when I open former versions (in 7.1.3./ 7.1.2.) and see the preview in browser version the menu does not work also. Even in FW documents where the menu worked earlier! I cannot figure out what made the mess.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If you want to send me the FW file and the site folders I’ll take a look and see if there’s anything that might be going wrong.

Can you upload them to this shared folder? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Byy87ZgayXjNUnhmWnJjRUUtSWc?usp=sharing

M :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you so much! This is very kind of you. I have just uploaded the files.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Hanna,

Well, bad news I’m afraid. The file I thought might be being mis-referenced (fwResponsiveMenus.js) is there and doesn’t appear to be the cause of the problem.

My only suggestion is that you create a new site file with the same parameters and structure as your existing one. Create the menu first of all and make sure it works.

Then recreate each page , cutting and pasting from your old site as much as possible to speed things up. At each stage, publish and check that the menu is still working.

In the long run, this may well be easier than trying to debug the existing site.

FW 7.1.3 seems fine at creating the responsive menu in a fresh file. The moment I tried to add that new menu to your site, it stopped working, so something is interfering with it.

I’m sorry I cannot be more help.

Good luck!

MAtt :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve hated the CSS menus action. The way it works on mobile view is dreadful, and you’ll have to completely ignore the Action interface and just go CSS on the menu in order to control it completely. Also this action was a good idea, but people working on it got bored, fired or what else … it never got finished.

I just created CSS menu’s online and dropped the code into Freeway. Far better results that the action. Just $19 for a lifetime account …

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hallo Matt,
thank you so much indeed. And yes I already suspected that an I have do rebuild this site also like the other site. That’s annoying, but better as to search endlessly for the error not knowing if one can even solve it. I am glad that you helped me. Thanks again for your effort!

Hanna

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Sojonna,

I had the same problem with this site:
http://www.vitrea.no/index.html

What I did was to download everything from the www. on the ftp host server with Fetch.

Then I used those files to replace every detached or missing file and voila the page refreshed and I was able to upload the website with a working menu.

This issue started a little different than yours. I lost a lot of work when my internal iMac HD died with no chance to save any of the files. I had to install a new HD and reinstall OSX and Freeway.

I don’t believe your problem has nothing to do with the update from 7.1.2 to 7.1.4. The problem is the migration which happens when you update the OSX.

I like to say a little about carrousels in Freeway too. Many are looking for a solution. But Exhibo works fine in responsive environment. Click the blue map icon in the bottom of the page and you will see the Fotoalbum.

Well - good luck Sojonna - I hope you found a solution which was better than rebuild all of the webpages which lost the menu-icon.

I love Freeway with all its silly bugs and strange behaviors. But I hope Freeway 8 will be a better deal and that the owners don’t adapt the Coffeecup business model.

My second choice of wysiwyg web creators is Mobirise and Blocs. If I need that kind of pages I use one of these.

Probably a lot of bad english and I will not say that my fix is a fix for all - but it worked…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hallo Arne,
thank you very much for your suggestion. But what do you mean exactly by:

"What I did was to download everything from the www. on the ftp host server with Fetch. Then I used those files to replace every detached or missing file and voila the page refreshed and I was able to upload the website with a working menu.“

I already tried this in a very early stage, I did download the files via ftp, replaced these in the site folder. But when I tried to upload the site via FW the files will be overwritten. How did you prevent this?

Thank you, Hanna

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It was your post which alerted me in the first place. After changing HD on my mac I reinstalled the same OSX 10.8.5 and the same version of freeway 7.1.2. Usually I use another mac for websites, but this summer I was lazy and used my trusted workhorse.

4 new webpages made for customers were on the old HD. 2 of them are lost (still working on internet) and 2 sites were on a external backup.

After reading your post I feared that checked one of the latter, and found that the hamburger was missing when watching it with preview. When I uploaded the www.vitrea.no as a test the menu was missing online on all browsers. First panic then some strange dreams : )

I tried to update the page from Edit > Resources.

Using the files in the local folder did not changed anything, but after downloading the same ( the hamburger, pictures etc.) files from the server, I tried to update all detached and missing files from the downloaded folder.

Voila - the hamburger was back and I could upload the pages after making some adjustments to text and pictures that was lost in the saved copy on the external HD.

I did the same with the other webpage.

Now I hope there is a possibility to grab those lost pages from internet or restore a Freeway page from uploaded files and save those 2 websites lost on the broken HD.

I really don´t understand your question. I choose to overwrite the files on the server, because the menu was lost and found.

Freeway is strange. I have made another post about the Smootscroll action. It does not work. I get a JavaScript error.

Yesterday I installed 7.1.4 for the first time just to check if the hamburger problem occurred as you have experienced. No - the 7.1.4 works fine, but when I tested “SmootScroll” - IT WORKED TOO!!! I did the same on my Sierra mac - and the same happened.

This is weird….

Here you see… smotscroll action on 7.1.4

http://www.infopages.no/index.html

I hope my bad english is not too hard. I just want to help you if possible. If you have a saved copy of your original sites with the menu failure - start from the beginning and upload to a test domain.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The contents of the site folder do not mean anything at all in this context. They are an artifact of the publishing process, and are not your site. The Freeway document itself contains your site, and everything to do with it. Manually altering the contents of the site folder will actually do the opposite of what you want, because if the time-stamp on those files (in the site folder) change from what Freeway recorded as their “last-modified date” within the Freeway file, then those files will be considered damaged, and Freeway will take pains to re-create them.

Here’s a simple test you can do to help understand the relationship of the site folder to the site proper:

1. Make a new Freeway document, set up a new site folder away from your existing site’s folder.
  2. Add a couple of pages, and put some images on those pages.
  3. Preview in browser (this will create the site folder contents for this new site).
  4. Locate the site folder in Finder, and empty it entirely (and empty the trash).
  5. Making no other changes, Preview in browser again.

Note how after step 5, everything is back in the site folder. It’s just a cache, it’s not the site. Freeway never uses those files itself at all, and altering them outside of the Freeway interface makes no, zero, nada difference to your site (in Freeway’s mind).

Even if you set up a server and upload, those files in the site folder will be copied to the server via SFTP, but only under Freeway’s intelligent control, which means that if you change something on a page in Freeway, Freeway will delete that page from the server and then upload again.

What I suspect Per Arne may have been suggesting is that you download the images and other non-html files from your server, then use the Edit / Resources dialog to re-connect those external files to your existing Freeway layout, so that publishing can generate the HTML with links to the rescued files. If you have made changes to the HTML files, though, downloading those will not allow you to change the Freeway document itself (there is an HTML import feature, but it really does not work well at all), so you will have to make any changes from the version you lost again, in Freeway, before uploading again.

Walter

On Oct 16, 2017, at 1:24 AM, star-lights email@hidden wrote:

I already tried this in a very early stage, I did download the files via ftp, replaced these in the site folder. But when I tried to upload the site via FW the files will be overwritten. How did you prevent this?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter,

In my case I had the original Freeway document as a backup, but after reinstalling OSX and installing the backup on the new HD, the hamburger menu was not visible.

After uploading the page to and overwriting the webpages that was fully functional, the updated web lost the menu icon as well. I did NOT overwrote the files on www.vitrea.no but tested the upload to a test domain. I have plenty.

Then I tried the Edit / resources with the non html files in my backup but no luck. The hamburger was invisible even if I changed the file with another png.

After downloading the files from the server with the working website, I used Edit / resources and then the menu popped up.

When I first read Sonjannas post - I was sure she had this problem. If this fix lacks any rational explanations my experiences with Freeway is full of such strange behaviors.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden