[Pro] CSS Menus Javascript error

Coming back to FW Pro 7.1.2 to update an old site for a client, but I am getting a javascript error on the CSS menus when trying to preview. This site had been created in an older version of FW and updated when opened.

I’ve cleared the error in the actions panel then previewed again, but the error returns:
el[“id”] has no properties

The coding below shows:
// Find the DIV that contains the item with this Action applied
var divid = el[“id”].toString().replace(/“/g. “”)://”

I’ve no idea what any of that means or why it’s occurred. Though it seems unique to this site as other sites with css menus appears to be fine.

Any ideas?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Are you using any other Actions on that page, or especially, on the object that creates the menu?

This error means that the Action is trying to read the ID of the object you drew, and coming up blank. Table cells have no ID, so did you un-check the Inspector checkbox labeled CSS? That will turn a layer (DIV, with an ID) into a table cell. You won’t see anything different visually, but the code will be dramatically different when the page is published.

Walter

On Jan 9, 2018, at 12:04 PM, neil.west1 email@hidden wrote:

Coming back to FW Pro 7.1.2 to update an old site for a client, but I am getting a javascript error on the CSS menus when trying to preview. This site had been created in an older version of FW and updated when opened.

I’ve cleared the error in the actions panel then previewed again, but the error returns:
el[“id”] has no properties

The coding below shows:
// Find the DIV that contains the item with this Action applied
var divid = el[“id”].toString().replace(/“/g. “”)://”

I’ve no idea what any of that means or why it’s occurred. Though it seems unique to this site as other sites with css menus appears to be fine.

Any ideas?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

On 9 Jan 2018, at 17:04, neil.west1 email@hidden wrote:

Coming back to FW Pro 7.1.2

I’d recommend updating to the latest version (7.1.4).

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for your reply Walter

CSS layout is turned on but the CSS checkbox in the pallet wasn’t. I assume it wasn’t turned on previously but I’ve turned it on and I’m still getting javascript errors.

There are other actions on the page (fading slideshow, text link style and favicon) but another page with the same css menus problem doesn’t share any of the same actions other than favicon. It instead has webyep.

I don’t know how or why webyep might be causing the problems (if it is at all), but that’s the only thing I know is different from the previous upload. Webyep has been updated since then, but I’ve dealt directly with Max previously with issues, to the extent that I’m using some actions that are more up to date than are available online.

I can’t upload this site but just so you can see what I’m playing with, the old site is Intelec UK infra-red lamps, bulbs, precision thermostats, control panels for incubation, power supplies, fan motors, alarm panels and power-failure alarms

I’ve spent a couple of hours trying to get my head back into this, when all I’m trying to do is remove a couple of the unused menu items!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 9 Jan 2018, at 17:31, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

On 9 Jan 2018, at 17:04, neil.west1 email@hidden wrote:

Coming back to FW Pro 7.1.2

I’d recommend updating to the latest version (7.1.4).

and also check that you’re using the latest version of the CSS Menus Action.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Jeremy

I was under the impression that FW was dead - where do I find updates for the app and css menus (which I thought was part of the app)?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I was under the impression that FW was dead

Softpress ran into financial problems in 2016, but we’re back in business.

We released an updated version of Freeway (7.1.4) in February last year.

If anyone is using an earlier version of Freeway 7, this fixes some important issues.

• where do I find updates for the app and css menus (which I thought was part of the app)?

You can get the latest update from our web site:

Click on where it says "Download Freeway 7 here”

This should contain the latest version of CSS Menus. My version reports 3.0.8 as its version number (bottom of Actions palette).

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Unless you can tell me different, I can’t really see how upgrading to the latest version of FW will fix the issue when I didn’t have the issue in the previous version which created the site.

My version of css menus also appears to be the most up to date 3.0.8.

Any further ideas?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 11 Jan 2018, at 16:59, neil.west1 email@hidden wrote:

Unless you can tell me different, I can’t really see how upgrading to the latest version of FW will fix the issue when I didn’t have the issue in the previous version which created the site.

I don’t know if it will fix the issue, but it’s free to update and I don’t see why you would want to avoid doing that.

You mentioned that your site stopped working after you updated from an earlier version of Freeway. You don’t say what version that was, but there were quite a few internal changes that affected Actions.

Once you have the latest version, if the problem persists, I’d suggest that you try publishing everything into a clean Site folder. Maybe Walter or someone else can help with other suggestions.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Jeremy, didn’t know the update was free. I’ll give it a go and see if it makes any difference.

No idea which version I’d updated from, but it won’t have been too much older than my current version.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The updated version doesn’t appear to have made any difference. I’ll upload the site (if it’ll let me) tomorrow and post a link to see if anyone can see what’s wrong.

Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Did you try publishing into a clean Site folder?

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Is this working?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I thought it must have been me when the lengthy reply I wrote on Friday had disappeared this morning, so I rewrote it all, posted it, and it’s gone again!!

I’m not going to rewrite it all for a third time, so in a nutshell:

I’ve tried all sorts of things including building a new css menu in a new page with a new site folder, and it still errors with just 2 items on the page.

I don’t know what’s happening. I’ve no doubt it will end up being something very simple, but I stopped using FW when it’s demise was announced how ever long ago it was, and I can now not remember most of what I knew then.

I’ve updated an existing site that was working fine in the older version of the software, and it broke. I’ve spent hours messing around trying different things to achieve what should have been a five minute job and, to be honest, I’m now sick of it.

Jeremy, seeing as you appear to be from Softpress, can I package the native files and send them to you, so you can tell me what’s happening please? I have multiple ‘older’ sites that use css menus, and whilst ever your software is ‘working’, I don’t want to have to tell the clients that we can no longer service their requirements.

Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Neil,

Jeremy, seeing as you appear to be from Softpress, can I package the native files and send them to you, so you can tell me what’s happening please? I have multiple ‘older’ sites that use css menus, and whilst ever your software is ‘working’, I don’t want to have to tell the clients that we can no longer service their requirements.

I am from Softpress, but I’m a programmer rather than a support person and I don’t have much experience with the CSS Menus Action - I didn’t write it, and I haven’t used it apart from casual testing.

What I suggest is that you package your files and post a Dropbox link here in Freeway Talk. If you can cut your document down to just a few pages that demonstrates the problem, that will make it easier - and it may also help you to track down where the problem is happening. Remove any upload information before you package your document.

Hopefully, there are other people who use CSS Menus who will be able to help with this.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Okay, I’ve uploaded the FW document to Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life

I’ve dropped all the un-needed pages and info but kept the home page which contains the css menus action and a fading slideshow.

I’d appreciate it if someone can download it and tell me how I need to edit the file to prevent the javascript error from occurring.

Thanks in advance.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve temporarily solved the problem by going back to FW 6.1.2, so that gets me out of the s**t with the client, but longer term that doesn’t help at all.

Why has the more up to date software broken the site that was working correctly?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Neil,

I’ve had a quick look at your document, and the problem seems to be what Walter originally suggested: the CSS Menus Action is applied to a non-CSS box (item3) so it doesn’t have an ID.

CSS boxes are normally distinguished from non-CSS boxes by having green rather than blue outlines in the Site panel and document view.

As to why this works in Freeway 6 - is it possible that the box appears to be a CSS box in Freeway 6 and has somehow been converted into a non-CSS box in Freeway 7? I have a vague recollection that the status of inflow boxes (CSS or non-CSS) was unclear in older versions of Freeway.

If you want to use your document with the latest version of Freeway, I think the best thing would be to look through the Site panel for non-CSS boxes and convert them to CSS boxes.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Actually, it seems from a quick test with Freeway 5.5 that earlier versions of the Action could be used with non-CSS boxes. Later versions of the CSS Menus Action contain additional functionality that presumably requires that the Action is applied to a CSS box - although you don’t get any warning if you apply it to a non-CSS box. (There should be a warning, really.)

It’s generally better for inflow boxes to be CSS rather than non-CSS. Non-CSS boxes are output as single-cell tables, while CSS boxes are (normally) output as simple divs.

Jeremy

On 17 Jan 2018, at 13:43, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

Hi Neil,

I’ve had a quick look at your document, and the problem seems to be what Walter originally suggested: the CSS Menus Action is applied to a non-CSS box (item3) so it doesn’t have an ID.

CSS boxes are normally distinguished from non-CSS boxes by having green rather than blue outlines in the Site panel and document view.

As to why this works in Freeway 6 - is it possible that the box appears to be a CSS box in Freeway 6 and has somehow been converted into a non-CSS box in Freeway 7? I have a vague recollection that the status of inflow boxes (CSS or non-CSS) was unclear in older versions of Freeway.

If you want to use your document with the latest version of Freeway, I think the best thing would be to look through the Site panel for non-CSS boxes and convert them to CSS boxes.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden