[Pro] EASIEST and QUICKEST alternative

It sounds like you’ve saved the document as stationery.

You should be able to fix this by locating it in the Finder, pressing Command-I (Get Info), and turning off the “Stationery Pad” checkbox.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Thanks Jeremy - that’s a new one on me.

But I have only ever done a normal save, and both the files have the ‘Stationery pad’ box unchecked. I think there must be another reason.

When I open the doc, I’m now getting “Not Found/ Requested URL / splash/70/en/full.html was not found on server. / Apache/2,4,7 (Ubuntu) Server at download.softpress.com Port 80.”

Do I need to set a port in the upload, perhaps? There didn’t used to be a box, but I see one now.

Tom

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

That error message you are seeing is from the way that MacApp constructs the About Freeway box. The content of that window is filled by a file on a server that does not exist any more. It’s harmless.

Is it possible that you are opening the fwbackup file rather than the freeway file? Make sure that you have “Always show filename extensions” checked in the Finder preferences, then look carefully at the file in Finder. See what the file-type extension is of the Freeway document you are working from.

Walter

On Aug 10, 2016, at 4:30 PM, TomBliss email@hidden wrote:

Thanks Jeremy - that’s a new one on me.

But I have only ever done a normal save, and both the files have the ‘Stationery pad’ box unchecked. I think there must be another reason.

When I open the doc, I’m now getting “Not Found/ Requested URL / splash/70/en/full.html was not found on server. / Apache/2,4,7 (Ubuntu) Server at download.softpress.com Port 80.”

Do I need to set a port in the upload, perhaps? There didn’t used to be a box, but I see one now.

Tom

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thanks Walter - yes I checked this before, and the original file, the back-up file, and the random ‘untiled #’ file all presented identical problems.

However, to my delight, when I fired up the mac this morning, yesterday’s main file has remembered everything, so I am hoping this was just some glitch and that it will behave normally now. The bug might have been in the ‘Make backups’ preference, which I disabled last night.

Many thanks everyone for your help - you have saved my operation. The Wisdom of Crowds rules, and here’s hoping that the Freeway team manage to get through this difficult time, and on to better things.

Tom

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

OK how about this alternative…

Wordpress

Anyone cringing? Wait, I know of many on http://ineedwebhosting.co.uk who are creating good looking and responsive sites using the myriad of templates available. And you don’t have to code.

David Owen { Freeway Friendly Web hosting and Domains }

http://www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk | http://www.PrintlineAdvertising.co.uk

On 7 Aug 2016, at 16:23, TomBliss email@hidden wrote:

Which is the easiest alternative for dummies like me? Thanks, Tom

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Wordpress has its uses, but the inability to tweak Themes in .com is a real pain. Most of the themes are far to blog-centric for my purposes - far too much white and no way to resize the basic frames. I do embed wordpress.com blogs into my Freeway site, so that other people can edit those pages, but it often calls for some extreme bodging. I do manage one worpress.org site, but it needs too much coding (a colleague has to do this for me) for me to use that to replace my humungous FW file. As I said up top, I need something that will start by opening my existing FW file, and then let me make small alterations relatively easily, until I can isolate enough time to learn how to use the new program properly, and then rebuild the whole thing. T

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You could host the Wordpress script on your hosting and tweak or build your own themes.

David Owen
Printline Advertising

On 11 Aug 2016, at 11:10, TomBliss email@hidden wrote:

but the inability to tweak Themes in .com is a real pain.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The EASIEST and QUICKEST alternative to FreewayPro is retiring!

Despite the fact, that NOTHING except FreewayPro will open Freeway files, it would be damn fair towards your client and her project.

People declaring FreewayPro as its most important tool, but keeping its years!!! (8 or so) old version were part of the demission of manufacturers and their community.

The wisdom of this crowd is based on years of experience which is coming from passion - towards a craft and profession and its evolving tools and requirements. But it is not stupid! Some here even fought for ideas of an ongoing FreewayPro.

Inform your client, tell him about your situation, giving her the chance to decide what’s next. Todays requirements for websites are entirely different these days. Different from them back in 2009.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

To David - see my comments above about coding. Not an option, sadly.

To Thomas - I plead guilty to deferring the FW upgrade, but that was as much about keeping my OS, upon which my many programs were all working perfectly until very recently, as about saving money.

That said, when you deliberately take the pay cut I did, and work as many day a week pro bono (none of my clients pay me as cent, and all the active sectors of my site are nothing to do with my part time paid employment) you do need to watch the pennies.

As far as I can see 7 has few improvements over 4, and I was never interested in all the bells and whistles.

Freeways is very important because it hosts the public face of my activities, but as a program it’s way down the list against photo shop, office, FCP and others.

I just don’t have time to rebuild all the legacy sections of my site - but I don’t want them to be taken down. I may go back to production and/or music any day.

I went to FW to buy the upgrade, but I can’t.

Tom

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Tom,
I have a serial available for you. I will stop using freeway now that Softpress is terminating the software.

@ Thomas; I think you are not very kind in your response here…
You sound bitter, it does not suit you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

He’s only saying what I’m thinking… if Softpress had a nickel for every idiot whiner that’s been through this forum they would never go out of business and could fund every upgrade Freeway ever needed.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Then Softpress is to blame, not the customers! Softpress should have been creative, commercially wise.

This forum is for asking and discussion (to my opinion). If people feel they gave too much to others without getting paid for it, these people do this themselves. Don’t blame the asking party…
Well, I tend to read this bitterness in some peoples answers…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Haha, The Big Elms. Haha.

You got me bang to rights, Sir.

Whining idiot. Gosh, you must have been hanging out at my local pub and eavesdropping at my gaff. I am indeed an idiot, and I whine, loudly and often.

It is also true that if all us idiots had bought the upgrades offered by softpress the company might have survived - and I really wish they had. I got to know some of them well over the years and they were really good at customer service. I mean really really good.

But.

But. In the world of commerce you can only sell what people want. And I - and history may report many like me - were happy with 4.

Cars need four wheels, five wheel versions have never caught on. Hammers need a heavy bit with a flat face abd a balenced handle. The curved ones made of jelly were fun, but less effective at hamming than the ckassic design. And as for the square wheel…

So, yes, I an guilty as charged. But I do a lot of other things as well as play with internet authoring packages. I teach landscape architecture abd urban design at one university and work at a second with senior climate scientists. I run a small TV production company. I work in sustainable food and community agroecology. And soon I will have a festival headline folk band again. I won’t trouble you with the other six things that take up my time.

But I am indeed a whining idiot when it comes to Freeway. I made a bad mistake investing, some 15 years ago, in a really nice Banbury company that for reasons beyond my direct control ran out of steam 15 years later.

Should have seen that coming and whined a lot less

:slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Wimdv. Thanks. I think I have made a temporary lash-up. I will get back to you if it fails :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

This forum is for asking and discussion (to my opinion).

… but not for panhandling. I bid five bucks for your serial.

… You sound bitter, it does not suit you.

Really? So I’m pretty happy not writing my real thoughts. It was about arrogance, ignorance and stupidness. But I wasn’t sure which of those attributes matching dyslexia the best.

… bitterness

Not at all! I’m looking forward to the future. With Sparkle, the legit successor is already there. So all I can say is that I’m very happy. It might be that we germans can’t express ourselves a bit more moderate. Or it is, that I’m simply an asshole - who knows?

Wearing insignias with proud!

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hm that sounds a bit like the chicken or egg story…

Would SoftPress have built a better and more modern Freeway Pro if more
users have committed [paid] updates? Or would there be more users of
Freeway [so more sales and profits] if SoftPress had built a better and
more contemporary Freeway first?

2016-08-11 21:37 GMT+02:00 The Big Erns email@hidden:

He’s only saying what I’m thinking… if Softpress had a nickel for every
idiot whiner that’s been through this forum they would never go out of
business and could fund every upgrade Freeway ever needed.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thomas - it may be a language thing, but I get the impression you have very little idea about dyslexia. I happen to be one of the first human beings to be diagnosed with this subtle but powerful (in the right hands) syndrome - back in 1973. We have trouble putting words on a page (and managing sums, reading music, coding, typing email, web addresses and twitter garble which are not ‘proper’ words, but we are usually gifted storymongers, wordsmiths, poets, artists, designers, architects, composers and lots of other trades that you might things a waste of time and space.

Freeway is based on a pre-Mac OS X print publishing application called Uniqorn, also developed by Softpress, but discontinued when Apple stopped supporting QuickDraw GX in Mac OS 8.

The guys did a great job of developing a pretty handy WYSIWYG authoring package that was ideal for dyslexics. But maybe that’s all it could be - I honestly don’t know.

It was perfect for me, and it’s loss will be a major blow, and maybe I should have delved into my pockets sooner - but the emails that came from Joe about new features meant nothing to me. They were like horse brasses on a racing bike. I just did not need them.

Maybe you and the other posting crossly on here are from the reduntant team. If so, my sumpathies - I’ve been there more than once myself, but it’s not my fault.

I knew I needed to upgrade, and I was putting it off until I really needed to do it. At which point the option vanished.

I’m not, actually whining, I was asking for help. And I got it in spades.

I great community of (mainly) really nice people. Thanks in no small part to Softpress, their great product and and their friendly, mature service.

Let’s try to behave just a bit like them. No?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

OK Tom, I wish you good luck with it. My offer still stands.
To all the idiots :smiley:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Well Tom, I agree.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 11 Aug 2016, 9:05 pm, TomBliss wrote:

Thomas - it may be a language thing, … you have very little idea about dyslexia

This might be, yes - indeed! But I have a pretty realistic idea of how a website - wether “paid” or not - has to be created ideally. The most important thing is “taking the inventory” and “authoring”. If you’re talented in this (and obviously you are) - excellent. This is the base.

But you are not a coder! Perhaps you can’t write it down. That doesn’t matter at all.

SoftPress only made one mistake:

“Declaring Webdesign as a Code-Free no-brainer!” This caught a good amount of clients. And it worked for many years, but back in 2011 it was crystal clear where this journey finally ends. All I have to say is, that I (and not only me) warned you back in 2012 the very first time!

So back to your project, Tom. I simply doubt that you do yourself, your mission and your client a favor keeping up this project on your own. My concerns are neither about you and your client, they are about the project behind and the visitors of your page!

End of transmission and out!

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden