[Pro] EASIEST and QUICKEST alternative

I’m not ignoring the rules. I questioning rules that have been written by people who may not know as much about communication as I do, and who think bling and clutter is a good thing.

Doubting! Whatsoever:

One possible way (quick and easy) recently came in:

Anyway - good luck and all the best.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hey guys,

Softpress closing up shop has left us all in a lurch and I suspect we will each find our own way to muddle through just fine. But in the transition it is rough. TomBliss, I don’t know you, but I see some of my own experience in yours. I started in web design by doing freebie websites for friends and family. I’m also dyslexic, btw. Through FW and the helpful people on this forum, I’ve managed to put some work together I’m proud of even though I’m learning more and more every day.

One piece of advice I have for you is to see if you can get your hands on a copy of FW 5.5. I’m not sure how to go about it, but it is a safer jump from 4 - 5.5, than 5 - 7.whatever. I’m running El Capitan and I have two versions of FW installed side by side, the latest and 5.5 for my old sites that do not warrant rebuilding or recreating to make responsive (that’s the fancy word for the “shrink to fit iPhone thing,” btw). FW 5.5 runs just fine w/ El Capitan.

I was always grateful for this backward compatibility, but I’ve also wondered if it contributed to the demise of FW. From what I understand, supporting legacy software is a real pain and tends to hold back development.

Good luck to you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Doty

Thanks for that. Does anyone know where I can get 5.5?

Might it work with my 4 serial number?

Cheers

Tom

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Might it work with my 4 serial number?

Only FW4 will work with a serial # for 4

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

http://download2.softpress.com/Freeway55Pro564.dmg

this will get you a 30 day trial before you would need a serial number

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks - but you can no longer purchase serial numbers from Freeway - I have tried.

Sad face

Tom

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

no you cant but it will work for 30 days and if you are trying to convert then 4 to5 and then 5 to 6 or 7 is better than going for the big jump

kind regards max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ah, ok. So you suggest I install 5.5, fire up the old 4 file, save as a 5.5 file, then install 7, and finally fire up the new 5.5 and save as a 7?

Would you suggest I should make a couple of changes and then upload while running 5.5?

What would happen if someone tried to open a 7 file in 5.5, by the way? a) would it work, and b) would there be any advantage in terms of stability?

Thanks for your help.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Why would you pay per month for web software when you have Coffee Cup and Blocs?

Chris

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Tom
You can’t go backwards only forwards
I am assuming you have version 7 so all I was suggesting if you have a version 4 document then open that up in 5.5
then that will update make a copy of the document to a version 5.5
then publish to a new directory

If it all looks fine, then I would save that document and then open it up in version 7 which will again make a duplicate and see if it still publishes and looks correct if yes then thats it you have converted a old FW4 file into a fw7

All the best Max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Do you pay per month for Freeway 5.5?

I’m told Coffee Cup are based in the States - I’m likely to needs fair bit of phone support when I eventually migrate and calls form the UK are costly.

I’ve not looked at Blocs, but if you look back up what is admittedly a very long and wordy (but I think worthy) thread I’m hoping to find something that I can export / import FW to, because I have large legacy sites for which I can’t justify a complete rebuild. I’m happy for them to stay as they are apart from the occasional update.

The more active parts of my web presence will probably need to be started again from scratch, but only Providence knows when I’ll have time for this.

Tom

PS for others who have been advising me I’ve failed to explain one other important factor - I spend a fair bit of time on a very small island with no broadband. Actually quite a lot of the world still has no broadband.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

OK - thanks Max, I’ll do that later.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Boy looking at the options can be frustrating . I live in the USA . It sure helps to make phone calls.

Chris

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Tom,

I have several old (pre-FW4) sites that are several hundred pages each. A re-design is not feasible for them either, but they need simple annual updates. My plan is to keep an old computer that is capable of running FW 5.5. I’ve updated these old sites to 5.5 and I will leave them there. For any new work, I will use FW 7 or whatever I will start using when I determine a FW replacement. If keeping an old computer is not feasible, a clone backup is an option. I did this recently when I made the jump from Snow Leopard to El Capitan. That is my “long range plan” as best I have it and I suspect it will get me several years down the road with these legacy sites.

I think someone might have mentioned it, but Pinegrow is an app that several on this thread are talking about. Nothing will open your .freeway sites but Freeway, but several apps can open your .html sites. From what I can tell, your “easiest and quickest” alternative is to get FW running. Something like Pinegrow might be great if you just want to make a couple of quick text changes, but I’m not sure I’d want to do a major overhaul with it. For me, it would make more sense to start over from scratch.

As far as FW 7 being more “stable” than 4 or 5, I’m not sure I would say that. I never felt like the earlier versions were particularly unstable. Sure, every app crashes now and again, but careful saving and disciplined use of backups always worked fine for me. The biggest advantage of the later versions of FW is what they did with responsive design. I don’t think that’s something you really care to tackle right now. Have you considered picking up a copy of FW 5 off of Amazon? You won’t be able to upgrade it, but it would probably get you out of the current bind you are in. Just a note, as I remember, there was a significant stability increase moving from FW 5.0-5.5 — just something to keep in mind as you look at versions.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Doty.

Yes I have two old Macbooks that run OS10, so I’ll try to keep them going as my back-up. The problem will be that the sites will evolves on OS11, if my plan works, so synchronising them will not be easy.

When I started there was no easy way to partition my server, so I have 10 urls all pointing at different sections of one very large website.

Ideally I’d keep that intact as its worked for 16 years, but I realise this may no longer be possible. Three or four of the sections do need to be responsive (had to look that up again :slight_smile:

I will look at Pinegro and the many others, but it’s a daunting task to be honest.

I have a demo version of 7 running live now, upgraded via 5.5 as suggested, and that’s looking ok at the moment. Just the permanent serial number to sort, and I’m on with that.

Thanks again everyone.

Tom

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

My offer still stands: you can have my key for FW7. I quit using Freeway.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Wimdg, can you email me please: email@hidden

Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Yes, will do that

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I am confused! I was too slow upgrading from 6 to 7and although it is still possible to download 7, it isn’t possible to pay for it or obtain a serial number. So what is the point in making it available?

On a legal point, I would have thought that as Softpress no longer exist, and no longer register users against a serial number, then we are free to exchange and reuse serial numbers as we wish?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I am confused! I was too slow upgrading from 6 to 7and although it is still possible to download 7, it isn’t possible to pay for it or obtain a serial number. So what is the point in making it available?

For people who need need the latest (the last) version AND who paid for it. Which is sadly, not you.

On a legal point, I would have thought that as Softpress no longer exist, and no longer register users against a serial number, then we are free to exchange and reuse serial numbers as we wish?

So, when you are dead we are free to pick your pockets and go through your stuff? Hells no! The same here as somebody-- whether investors or creditors or whomever-- somebody still claims legal rights to it.

Of course, you can buy someone’s existing license… mine’s for sale for only USD$1,000,000.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden