[Pro] Exporting Freeway site to upload

Hi all.
I have the site http://eltorosalou.com/

Built in Freeway pro 7 and I tried to upload it to my hosting provider a couple of years ago and uploading the normal way did not work. However with help on this forum I was told how to export the site and upload it to my hosting company over FTP and this worked apart from them having to add a .htaccess file which they did for me and the site works fine.
I have to make some changes to the site and I have the old folder which I exported which contains all the files necessary files to upload over FTP.
The problem is I cannot remember how to export the site with all its assets.
I think it was Waltd who helped me the last time on how to export the site last time but i’m not 100% sure.
Can anyone help me again on how to export the site with all it’s assets.
Thank you Victor
Freeway user since it came out many years ago.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

If you have ever used the Publish command in Freeway, then a folder was created somewhere on your Mac containing the entire “tree” of your site. All pages, all resource files, everything you put into it, in one place.

To locate the site folder, open the Site Preferences dialog. On the Output pane, in the center of the dialog, is a button marked Site Folder. Under that button is a path to the folder. You should be able to duplicate that path in the Finder (or your FTP application) and locate the folder.

By the way, if you’re still using (actual) FTP in this day and age, please stop and use SFTP. Regular FTP sends your login credentials as plain text, which is really risky behavior.

Walter

On May 11, 2021, at 9:23 AM, Victor email@hidden wrote:

Hi all.
I have the site http://eltorosalou.com/

Built in Freeway pro 7 and I tried to upload it to my hosting provider a couple of years ago and uploading the normal way did not work. However with help on this forum I was told how to export the site and upload it to my hosting company over FTP and this worked apart from them having to add a .htaccess file which they did for me and the site works fine.
I have to make some changes to the site and I have the old folder which I exported which contains all the files necessary files to upload over FTP.
The problem is I cannot remember how to export the site with all its assets.
I think it was Waltd who helped me the last time on how to export the site last time but i’m not 100% sure.
Can anyone help me again on how to export the site with all it’s assets.
Thank you Victor
Freeway user since it came out many years ago.

http://eltorosalou.com/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Victor,

What Walter suggests will work, but there are some files in the Site folder that don’t need to be uploaded. A better way of doing this is to select “File Copy” at the top of the Upload dialog. This will cause the files to be “uploaded” to a local folder of your choice. After that you can use a third-party application to upload (or synchronise) the contents of this folder. Freeway will also remember the location of this upload folder, so long as you save your document after uploading.

There are two secure methods of uploading your site (as opposed to insecure FTP):

1. SFTP (unrelated to FTP)
  2. FTPS (a secure version of FTP)

Which method you use will normally depend on your web provider (FTPS is more common).

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Waltd and Jeremy.
Thank you for the speedy reply I have located the site folder but as Jeremy says there seems to a ton more stuff in the site folder than in the folder I uploaded the last time.

When I did as Jeremy suggested and selected (file copy) it created a much smaller folder that looks as if it has the same amount of stuff as the folder I uploaded the last time and that worked the only problem I had was that my hosting provider had to add a .htaccess file for me for the site to work?
Also when I save the site as a file copy it prompts you to enter the URL of the website, is that important? I didn’t enter the URL and it still created the folder.

Can you both confirm that that is the best way to save the site and then upload it?
The last time I used FileZilla to upload the site does that support SFTP or FTPS? I also just checked the tutorial with my hosting provider (Hostinger) and they only mention using FileZilla and FTP.
Thanks again for your speedy replies and any other advice you have would be great.
Thanks Victor

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Victor,

The “Web Address” field is optional.

The “File Copy” Upload method ignores files that aren’t needed, so that’s the method that we (Softpress) recommend to people who use a third-party upload program.

All modern upload programs (including FileZilla) should support FTPS and SFTP, but I think you might need to talk to your web provider about whether they support these methods (a page on their website says that SFTP requires a “premium” package).

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy.
Sorry for the late reply.
Thank you both for your help and advice.

I have a business account with Hostinger which is better that Premium so I don’t see any problem with uploading the site and I will get on to their support as to the best way to upload the new version of the site using FTPS or SFTP.
I also think I can upload the site using the (File Manager) in my account as the folder I exported using the (File copy) in Freeway is only 8.6mb.
as it is not a very complicated site.
Do you think that would be an easier method than using FileZilla?

I’m not sure how to do with the (File Manager) it as in do I delete all the files of the old site first and then upload the new version or if I upload the new version of the site will that automatically overwrite the existing files?
Any advice on this would be great and I can also contact their support to find out the best way to do it.

Lastly how is Xway doing or are you still developing that and would there be anyway to import my old freeway site into Xway and would there be any advantage in doing this?
I use wordpress now for all my new sites but I have always been a fan of Freeway and have used it from when it was first developed (Version 3 I think) until it was no longer supported.
Again thank you for your help and advice.
Victor (Long time Freeway fan)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

When I have used an SFTP application to update an existing site in the past, I have used Panic Transmit, but I’m sure that Filezilla has the same feature. Look around in the menus for an option to “Synchronize” folders. Your app will have two panes: local and remote, and all you need to do is get each pane “into” the folder that represents each side of the equation. So on your Mac, you would navigate into the local folder where you published the site. On the server side, you would navigate into the public_html or whatever it’s called on your server – the folder which contains index.html as your home page.

Once you have those two windows showing what should be the same thing, you can invoke the Synchronize command. In Transmit, this can have two different flavors: either “update and add”, or “update, add, and delete”. (I forget how they label the options, but that’s the idea.) What this means is that in the latter mode, if a file exists on the server that is not present in the local folder, it will be deleted from the server. This is how Freeway’s Upload works, by the way. If you leave “orphaned” files on the server, that does no harm (except wasting space). If the file is gone in the new site, then it won’t be linked to any more, either, so unless someone has the old URL memorized, they can’t get there anyway.

Xway just released a new public beta version, if you want to check it out. I’ll leave the rest of your question for Jeremy, since he is the only person who can speak authoritatively about future plans.

Walter

On May 13, 2021, at 8:25 AM, Victor email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jeremy.
Sorry for the late reply.
Thank you both for your help and advice.

I have a business account with Hostinger which is better that Premium so I don’t see any problem with uploading the site and I will get on to their support as to the best way to upload the new version of the site using FTPS or SFTP.
I also think I can upload the site using the (File Manager) in my account as the folder I exported using the (File copy) in Freeway is only 8.6mb.
as it is not a very complicated site.
Do you think that would be an easier method than using FileZilla?

I’m not sure how to do with the (File Manager) it as in do I delete all the files of the old site first and then upload the new version or if I upload the new version of the site will that automatically overwrite the existing files?
Any advice on this would be great and I can also contact their support to find out the best way to do it.

Lastly how is Xway doing or are you still developing that and would there be anyway to import my old freeway site into Xway and would there be any advantage in doing this?
I use wordpress now for all my new sites but I have always been a fan of Freeway and have used it from when it was first developed (Version 3 I think) until it was no longer supported.
Again thank you for your help and advice.
Victor (Long time Freeway fan)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Victor,

I don’t have any experience using Hostinger’s “File Manager”. If you have SFTP on your plan, that is probably your best option. I’m pretty sure that FileZilla supports this: it’s a common transfer method.

We’ve been releasing new versions of Xway on a fairly regular basis, and (as Walter said) we just released the latest version (b4). This is a free beta. We’re still working on core functionality, but the code is release quality. In future we’re planning to add a way to import content from Freeway documents. Currently, you can do this by copying and pasting content (e.g. text and images) into Xway from Freeway or from a web browser. There’s a step-by-step tutorial on our website, along with some sample documents that were created with the tutorial. Xway also includes a detailed reference manual.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks again Jeremy and Waltd.
Good luck with the new version of Xway I will download it again and have a look and get back to you and let you know how I get on and maybe make a test site to test it.
As soon as you implement a way to import a Freeway site let me know.
I will also let you know how I get on with uploading the new version of the Freeway site.
Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Cheers Victor

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden