[Pro] fat footer

Is there a best way to create a fat footer? My goal is a footer like that on apple.com and many other sites. I’ve been using Freeway 7 Pro, Backdraft, and also trying to learn more about how it all works through Thomas Kimmich’s screencasts and FreewayTalk.

I have set up a fat footer using a Backdraft fiveWrapper but have wondered if it would be better to use a table, though I have not tried using a table before. Would css be necessary or important and, if so, would it be better applied to the fiveWrapper or a table? Or, is there a better way to do this?

Also, I have had difficulty knowing the best style settings for line and paragraph spacing like that on the apple.com footer. When I try trial-and-error, things just don’t refresh so that I can perceive differences in the settings. (I’ve noticed this before when trying to make changes on another Freeway-made website – that it often take a number of attempts to have the change actually publish.)

I appreciate any thoughts/advise. Thanks.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hmm - I’m mentioned in this list so I think I should spend some words here:

but have wondered if it would be better to use a table

Only one answer: Never!

http://shouldiusetablesforlayout.com

learn more about how it all works through Thomas Kimmich’s screencasts

If you really did (which I doubt), you should be able to easily reconstruct this (in minutes) by creating theGrid as learned. But the “five thing” of Backdraft will work as well.

Also, I have had difficulty knowing the best style settings for line and paragraph spacing

Typography in web is a special world (we haven’t covered in our courses yet). This is just because it’s more a question of design and naturally “discipline” literally. Spacing is called line-height and available in the styles dialogue e.g.

Some very basic infos about this is shared somehow here:

http://www.kimmich-digitalmedia.com/videos/013_thecodingepisodes_part6_the-paragraph

Apples footer is just the basic grid and a bunch of menus in. So nothing sophisticated at all.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Thank you, Thomas! Very good to know not to go in the direction of tables and clearly I need to continue learning from your videos. (They are amazing and I did say I’m “trying” to learn from you – not yet proficient…) I hope it will be okay to ask more as I go.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Marie,

As far as the page not refreshing properly, I have had trouble with this as well. It seems to me, at least in the past, Safari was bad about holding onto cashed copies and not updating properly. I’ve started using Chrome private browsing. I don’t have my computer in front of me, but I think they call it “incognito.” It will have a dark blue bar across the top, will not hold old pages in memory, and should give you more immediate feedback as far as seeing the changes you are making in Freeway. Also, the Preview pane in Freeway is nice, but for the most honest feedback, I’ve come to rely on Chrome Incognito window. You can use this whether you’ve published your page or are just looking at a local copy. Hope this helps.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Doty,

This is exactly what I need. Thanks so much!

Marie

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Great, Marie. I’m at my computer now, so I can tell you: In Chrome go to

File Menu > New Incognito Window

As long as you have the Incognito window as the front-most window in Chrome, when you are in FreeWay and hit “Preview in Browser,” it will Preview in your Incognito window. Pretty nifty, and it’s caused me to reach for the aspirin less often!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden