[Pro] File freezing when breakpoint changed

Having spent some time tweaking things and making good progress I have found that my work on this site has come to a halt as the file freezes at various points.

In Page view it freezes In Tablet 920 and in Preview mode it freezes at Mobile 570.

I have uploaded the site to test it and it appears to function ok however I can’t do any work on it due to this crashing.

Has anyone else experienced such a strange occurrence? Its very frustrating and holding up progress.

Any helpful insights would be much appreciated. I am hoping I haven’t lost anything of what I have put together.

Many thanks.

http://www.adevlinvisual.com/shop

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

1. By Preview mode do you mean switching to the Preview tab? What happens if you preview in browser instead?

2. Some of the calculations that Freeway has to make to avoid text overflows at media breakpoints are complicated, and occasionally they can take a very long time. I would try leaving it for five or ten minutes. If the calculation completes successfully, it should be quick next time. However, if things have genuinely frozen, one way that you can get out of this situation (or prevent it next time) is to delete breakpoint information for that page. For each box that is on the page, and the page itself, look at “Changed Media Types” in the Inspector panel. You can then delete the breakpoint information for that element. It’s a long time since I had to do this, but I think I would start by deleting the breakpoint information for the page. Save your work periodically, in case you hit a freeze.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello Jeremy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. Yes its in the Preview mode that it freezes at Mobile 570

2. When I next have a tea break I shall leave it and see if the freeze is just due to the complex calculation delay. I have a similar issue at times doing calculations so I am sympathetic!
    Ok I shall have a look through the items as you describe and see if this helps. Where would I be deleting the breakpoint information? In the Changed media box?
    I can see in the Changed Media Types for the header wrapper there is a note of the Mobile 570 breakpoint. Would this be a possible candidate for deletion? What happens when I delete this? Is anything else deleted? Excuse my ignorance!

Hope to hear from you when you can.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

1. I’m surprised if it freezes in the Preview tab at Mobile 570, but not in the Page tab. Does Preview In Browser work OK?

2. Yes, in Changed Media Types. All that is deleted is the breakpoint information for that particular element (e.g. box, or page).

You can also delete breakpoint style properties in Current Media Changes, which is on a finer scale (it just deletes breakpoint information for that property for the element), but that’s no good if you can’t switch to the breakpoint.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello Jeremy,

Thanks for getting back to me again.

Patience is a virtue!

Left it spinning over lunch and came back to see that it had settled. The delay is still apparent in Page mode as I go between breakpoints however I am using the time to work on other related bits for the website.

It will be interesting to see if the delay gets shorter but it is a bit of a frustration.

All the best for now and thanks for your support.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

How long is the delay when you switch between breakpoints, and does it occur with all breakpoints?

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello again Jeremy,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I was observing the behaviour.

It can take anything between 5-10 minutes. It generally happens between with the switch to 720 and 570.
So far I haven’t noticed it getting any quicker. I am living with it for now anyway though it can interrupt the flow of work and progress.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think that what I would do in this situation would be to make a copy of the document and try to find out what is causing the slowdown by deleting things in the copied document (keep your original document somewhere safe) - until the slowdown stops happening.

It might be that Freeway is struggling to break text into lines when a box (or the content area within a box) becomes too narrow.

If you get stuck, you could send a copy of your document to support at softpress dot com and we’ll take a look at it.

Jeremy

On 14 Jun 2020, at 21:19, tonzodehoo email@hidden wrote:

Hello again Jeremy,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I was observing the behaviour.

It can take anything between 5-10 minutes. It generally happens between with the switch to 720 and 570.
So far I haven’t noticed it getting any quicker. I am living with it for now anyway though it can interrupt the flow of work and progress.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hello Jeremy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It its possible I think I might send you a copy of the file.

After a slow process then I found the following.
Going from 720 to 570 takes 15minutes 12.5 s
From 480- 570 takes 15 minutes 12.5s
from 570-720 takes 6 minutes 35s.

There is no change in these timings when making the switch between each of these sizes during repeat of the switch. i.e. no diminishing of the duration of delay is apparent.
It could be that the common denominator in this is the 570px media size. Eeven trying to do any investigation of this is such a slow process!
Cumulatively thats hours of time waiting on things to resolve which is becoming infeasible as I try to move at speed with changes through the media sizes.

All the resources are showing as ok in the resources list. There are no content changes between any of the media sizes.

Would I just need to send you the actual freeway file?

Hope to hear from you soon

I should add that the test link for this has changed to:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello again Jeremy,

Just an update on this.

I saved the file with another name. Closed it all down. Opened up the new named file and so far the lag appears to have disappeared! Not sure of the logic of this but guess it could just have been a bit of something blocking a pipe!

So far so good. I shall be working on this again tomorrow and shall confirm if thats ok.

Thanks for your patience and support.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden