[Pro] Freeway 7 file not opening

I have been putting together a new site and having done a bit of work on the structure and saving it, when I have returned to open it today it won’t open.
This is not the first time it has happened but with another couple of files.
has anyone else had this issue at all?

The backup copy is not the most recent version and even though I had saved the file prior to closing it down the backup is not up to date.
I’m not sure if this is a system issue or a software one. Its frustrating as I have a backlog of sites I want to rebuild in Freeway 7 as responsive sites but my confidence in Freeway 7 has taken a knock with this happening again.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Freeway only updates the backup when you open an original file, not when you save it after opening it. It’s like this:

Open .freeway file
|\
|  \
|   .fwbackup is created/saved
|
+-- save
|
+-- save
|
+-- save and close
|
+-- Re-open .freeway file
|\
|  \
|   .fwbackup is updated

The point of the .fwbackup file is to recover from a corrupted file, not to save your last changes. The problem comes around that you do something and your file is irretrievably corrupted, and you saved it that way. That’s what .fwbackup gets you out of.

Walter

On Apr 27, 2016, at 10:51 AM, tonzodehoo email@hidden wrote:

I have been putting together a new site and having done a bit of work on the structure and saving it, when I have returned to open it today it won’t open.

The backup copy is not the most recent version and even though I had saved the file prior to closing it down the backup is not up to date.
I’m not sure if this is a system issue or a software one. Its frustrating as I have a backlog of sites I want to rebuild in Freeway 7 as responsive sites but my confidence in Freeway 7 has taken a knock with this happening again.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hello again Walter,

Thanks for the above explanation.

This has happened now 4 times with different files since I began using Freeway 7. On two of the occasions I had contacted Keith at Softpress who asked me to send the file through to him which he managed to open and send back to me.

This way I managed to retain the days work which wasn’t of course saved in the backup copy.

Now that that support is no longer there I have tried another strategy. As the issue appears to be a corrupt font or file then I removed all the files from the site folder to see if the file would open up and alert me to the missing files and then maybe I could reconnect them. But the file still doesn’t open.

I am surprised that none else appears to have had this issue.

Yesterday I was in the middle of a lot of things with this particular file so I really would like to see if there was anyone who might be able to open this file and send it back to me at all? I could send it via any means which suited.

I know its a big favour to ask but I am hoping it will be a quicker possible solution then expending a whole day redoing what I’d already done.

Thanks for your time

Anthony

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Walter,

I’m going from memory here, but I wrote the backup code (a long time ago) and the way it actually works is that it creates a backup file the first time a document is saved after it has been opened. The way that most Mac applications work when saving a file is to save to a temporary file (so you don’t lose the original file if anything goes wrong during the save) and then swap the contents of the temporary file with the original file if the save operation was completed successfully. Swapping the contents of two files is a low-level file-system operation (under the hood) which is fast and simple to do. After the contents have been swapped, the temporary file (which now contains the old contents) is normally deleted. What Freeway does, when a document is saved for the first time after being opened, is to keep the temporary file (with the original contents) and mark it as a backup file.

The reason that this only happens on the first occasion that a document is saved after being opened is because Freeway knows that the backup file can be opened successfully - because it is the same as the original file that it has already opened. In Freeway’s early days, the file format was less robust than it is now (we implemented a new format in Freeway 4) and documents could more easily become corrupted. Keeping a readable backup was a precaution against this happening.

Updating your schematic, I think it should look like this:

Open .freeway file
|
+-- save
|\
|  \
|
+-- save
|
+-- save and close
|
|
+-- save
|\
|  \
|   .fwbackup is updated

You’re entirely correct in saying that it’s not the most recently saved version but the most recently opened (and re-saved) version.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

On 27 Apr 2016, at 22:12, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

Freeway only updates the backup when you open an original file, not when you save it after opening it. It’s like this:

Open .freeway file
|\
|  \
|
+-- save
|
+-- save
|
+-- save and close
|
|\
|  \
|   .fwbackup is updated

The point of the .fwbackup file is to recover from a corrupted file, not to save your last changes. The problem comes around that you do something and your file is irretrievably corrupted, and you saved it that way. That’s what .fwbackup gets you out of.

Walter

On Apr 27, 2016, at 10:51 AM, tonzodehoo email@hidden wrote:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for that further clarification Jeremy.

I have now checked in the actual website folder and there are a few odd discrepancies.

Firstly there is no index.html file!
I have checked back in safari history and there is a record of the index.html file from Tuesday but none from yesterday.
I repeatedly save and preview the work I’ve done in Safari rather than just the Freeway preview and yet there is no record.
I have recovered the last version of the index.html from Time Machine which was yesterday and have recovered this to the site folder.
There is no CSS folder or Resources folder either.
I have searched to see if they were placed somewhere outwith where they should be but there is no sign of them.

So I reckon the only way for me to recover what I’d done yesterday would be if some kind sole could open the file, save it and send it back to me. This worked before. Its not ideal but in these curious circumstances if anyone could assist then I’d be really appreciative.

Please let me know if you can assist at all.

many thanks.

Anthony

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Zip the file, post it online somewhere and post the link here.

If the Freeway file contains your site FTP data (in the document setup dialog) then don’t do this as anyone who can open that file can also FTP anything that they can create in Freeway into your web space. I’m sure that wouldn’t happen here but it is better to be safe than sorry.

If your file contains FTP information you can email me the file at;
tim (at) freewayactions (dot) com
Thanks,
Tim.

On 8 Sep 2016, at 13:48, tonzodehoo email@hidden wrote:

Please let me know if you can assist at all.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello Tim,

Thats great.

Thanks for the offer. Really appreciated.

I shall email you a download link.

Be in touch shortly.

All the best for now

Anthony

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

As the issue appears to be a corrupt font or file then I removed all the files from the site folder to see if the file would open up and alert me to the missing files and then maybe I could reconnect them. But the file still doesn’t open.

Once the files are output into the Site Folder then FW doesn’t have any more interest in them so doing stuff to its contents is not going to help.

The corruption is more likely to be with a Font or Graphic referenced from the FW (.freeway) file so either a Font on your System or an original graphic that you used in your FW doc.

I am not sure of your workflow but I NEVER copy/paste or drag/drop graphics into my FW doc - I ALWAYS import them or use them as Pass-throughs.

And if you want to send your archived and zipped FW file closer to home (figuratively speaking) you will get my email on my People page

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello David,

Thanks for this. I leaned early on regards the perils of copy/paste and drag/drop of graphics so I don’t do it. I always import them and now working with responsive layouts appreciate the benefits of better practise regards pass through graphics.
With Freeway 7 I feel like I have been a bit tentative in how I do things as I feel its a bit buggy and prone to oft unexpected changes to pages etc.

Thanks for the offer David. Really appreciate it.
However Tim Plumb had contacted me and he downloaded a copy of the file, opened it and I have it now opened and have found all the stuff I thought I was about to lose. I am so very grateful for this support. A huge thank you for that Tim.

I shall dig through the file and see if there are any obvious issues with missing or corrupted graphics or fonts.

I guess my workflow would now need to include saving all the work, closing the file and then reopening it so that I have the latest version backed up rather than the earlier version. It might be an additional step but maybe give me the security that I may be able to avoid this scenario happening again.

I also realise that I think I have Freeway 7 installed on my rarely used laptop and should maybe just try opening any future problematic files on that.

Everyday is a school day!

Thanks again for the support from freeway talk forum users. I am indebted to all who offer such support.

Anthony

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello David,

Thanks for this. I leaned early on regards the perils of copy/paste and drag/drop of graphics so I don’t do it. I always import them and now working with responsive layouts appreciate the benefits of better practise regards pass through graphics.
With Freeway 7 I feel like I have been a bit tentative in how I do things as I feel its a bit buggy and prone to oft unexpected changes to pages etc.

Thanks for the offer David. Really appreciate it.
However Tim Plumb had contacted me and he downloaded a copy of the file, opened it and I have it now opened and have found all the stuff I thought I was about to lose. I am so very grateful for this support. A huge thank you for that Tim.

I shall dig through the file and see if there are any obvious issues with missing or corrupted graphics or fonts.

I guess my workflow would now need to include saving all the work, closing the file and then reopening it so that I have the latest version backed up rather than the earlier version. It might be an additional step but maybe give me the security that I may be able to avoid this scenario happening again.

I also realise that I think I have Freeway 7 installed on my rarely used laptop and should maybe just try opening any future problematic files on that.

Everyday is a school day!

Thanks again for the support from freeway talk forum users. I am indebted to all who offer such support.

Anthony

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I guess my workflow would now need to include saving all the work, closing the file and then reopening it so that I have the latest version backed up rather than the earlier version.

Time Machine?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 8 Sep 2016, 7:09 pm, DeltaDave wrote:

I guess my workflow would now need to include saving all the work, closing the file and then reopening it so that I have the latest version backed up rather than the earlier version.

Time Machine?

Hello again David,

Not sure what your meaning here.
The version saved in Time Machine from yesterday is/was not the version with the changes I’d saved and is the one I couldn’t open.

The backup version which I could open either, from Time Machine or from the backup version in the folder beside the main file, did not have the changes I wanted to salvage.

Maybe I’m missing your point as to how Time Machine could have helped any more.

Let me know what your thinking is on this as maybe I am needing a light switched on!

many thanks for now

Anthony

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden