[Pro] Freeway 8

What he said !

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

From what you have said so far, my understanding is that the first complete version (not the beta, but the first complete FW8) may not read FW7 files because it depends on other priorities. I assume that all the beta versions will not read FW7 files and that is perfectly alright. So please clarify if the first FW8 that we would have to pay before downloading it, would read FW7 files or not.

You’re asking about financial and marketing decisions that haven’t been made, and which I’m not responsible for.

I don’t know what the next version will be called, or what its version number might be, or when you might have to pay for it.

Our development goal is to create a new version of Freeway that is a complete replacement for Freeway 7 (including the ability to read Freeway-7 files). It will take time for us to reach this goal, and there is likely to be a transitional period before we get there.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

On 11 Mar 2019, 7:36 pm, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

From what you have said so far, my understanding is that the first complete version (not the beta, but the first complete FW8) may not read FW7 files because it depends on other priorities. I assume that all the beta versions will not read FW7 files and that is perfectly alright. So please clarify if the first FW8 that we would have to pay before downloading it, would read FW7 files or not.

You’re asking about financial and marketing decisions that haven’t been made, and which I’m not responsible for.

I don’t know what the next version will be called, or what its version number might be, or when you might have to pay for it.

Our development goal is to create a new version of Freeway that is a complete replacement for Freeway 7 (including the ability to read Freeway-7 files). It will take time for us to reach this goal, and there is likely to be a transitional period before we get there.

Jeremy

Well, then I guess we are left with speculation: maybe yes, may be not. Our only choice is then to remain in limbo and to exercise patience.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

no matter what, i wait for it, and will use it when it’s there.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Personally, being at best in the mid-level range of tech expertise, I have no professional need to upgrade quickly to the next Mac OS. I just plan to stick contentedly with OS 10.14 until the much-anticipated Fwy8 is working and will open Fwy 7 files. Meanwhile, Fwy 7 Pro works great. Am I missing something and setting myself up to get caught in some technology trap?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve been using FW on-and-off for many years, and I just came back to this forum for the first time in a while. I am really glad to hear that they are developing FW 8!

Thanks very much to Jeremy and all for your efforts! If funding is an issue, and you guys were to set up a Indiegogo/Kickstarter style campaign, I would be willing to pitch in (since I’m no good at coding, I can’t offer to help there…) :slight_smile: Please keep up the good work!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi,
not really, no. MY main working machine is still on High Sierra. Apple are sending through security updates for it, so that’s all good. The only drawback would be if an app I rely on makes the jump to Mojave and requires that OS to run. Then I’d either have to consider carrying on with what I have already, or making plans to run Freeway in an environment that it’s happy running in.

So, yes, you have to consider the ever moving conveyor belt that is OS updates and software obsolescence. Eventually, they will catch up with you.

However, there is no rule that says you have to update you OS the day it drops.

On 17 Mar 2019, 6:41 am, Jim Feeney wrote:

Personally, being at best in the mid-level range of tech expertise, I have no professional need to upgrade quickly to the next Mac OS. I just plan to stick contentedly with OS 10.14 until the much-anticipated Fwy8 is working and will open Fwy 7 files. Meanwhile, Fwy 7 Pro works great. Am I missing something and setting myself up to get caught in some technology trap?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I see we’re of about the same vintage. I bought my first Mac in '89. :slight_smile:

I didn’t know that the Mac Pro 6,1 was an SSD card. Silly really but if it’s like the MacBook Pros with the same, they can be switched out, but it’s not a simple operation. You can also buy empty drive boxes to put the old one in, or just use a SATA cable and a rubber band.

If you decide to bite the bullet on the drive, I’d re-format and install a clean Mojave, then use Migration Assistant to move your User Account across from a TM backup. I would guess that the problem you had in the past was that newer versions of the OS puts things in different places to the original installs, so moving stuff across doesn’t always work. So I’d prefer in this situation, to not move applications and instead, to re-install them with the latest available installers. The danger is that some apps, that have survived OS transitions, may not have updated installers to handle the process correctly on recent OS’s. I actually use 3 generations of Macs, which cater to current, plus 2 generations of depleted software, which I still use. One for a 90’s imaging app, which runs like lightning on a G5Quad running 10.6 for Classic (MacOS 9) and another with 10.6 for a high-end digital back, which is still producing the goods 12 years on. So, similar to the discussion about FW8 and it’s compatibility for FW7 files … I see no great urgency. If it can do it down the road, it’ll be great, but I’d personally rather that precious resources be spent on features, stability and bug removal. However, I appreciate that people working in video, sound and imaging, tend to have a lot more computers hanging around, than the average pro user. :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Oops! Replied to the wrong thread … although ironically, the last bit was about this thread.

I shall post my reply in the appropriate thread too.

Apologies. :grimacing:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

wel what ever and how eer it all happens ( i know, topic is a little out of date) but i am eager to get that new fw8.
remember we had to change our way of thinking after the fw6 version got out :smiley:
personaly i salute new idea’s, new update, new start!
can’t wait!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

‘Are we almost there dad?’
Its a loooong journey.
Any looming time line for FW8?
All waiting patiently…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If you keep asking, I am going to turn this car around! (Every Dad, ever.)

Walter :sunglasses:

On Jul 31, 2019, at 5:29 AM, Steve Gunther email@hidden wrote:

‘Are we almost there dad?’
Its a loooong journey.
Any looming time line for FW8?
All waiting patiently…

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ha!!!~ Walter that cracked me up…
thx for all your hard work guys… I am patient because 7.1.4 FW is still fantastic and you all taught me how to use it right!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Also - feature request: the ability to register users. That would be gold. I got my secretary to build a wordpress site, using LMS Lifter. Awful. Clunky. Have to hire a coder every time we want to add a field. Arrrggghhh.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hey there Jeremy, Catalina is almost here. Do you have any updates on where things are at with the development of version 8? I’m planning to wait to upgrade for now, but at some point in the coming year I will be getting a new MacBook Pro, and am hoping to be able to run Catalina and switch my site over to version 8. LMK thanks.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

We’re hoping to release a public beta soon after Catalina is released. But (as I’ve said before) this is a complete rewrite and it’s going to take a while before it is a complete replacement for Freeway 7. So it would be a good idea to have a partition or VM with Mojave on it - so you can continue running Freeway 7 when you need to.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello everyone,

I followed Jeremy’s advice and created a new volume for FW 7 with Mojave a month ago. I’ve been using it to update several websites without a glitch. Just make sure that all your files that will be used on the website are in exactly the same files in the new volume. This means that you need to copy or transfer them and put them in the files replicating the same path. Of course you can keep them in the original volume, but you run the likely risk that FW won’t find all of them right away. So to save you time just copy them to the new volume if you have the space.

Great to know that the beta version of FW8 is coming soon. Catalina will be released this October.

Cheers!

Álvaro

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ll keep using Mojave for the time being. Will decide what to do if and when I get a new laptop, but Freeway is so crucial to my work that I’m OK to hold off for a while.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Jeremy

I’m working on a large website update and I am wondering if I should hold off until Freeway 8 comes out or not. If I continue with Freeway 7.1.4 will it be much work to transfer into 8?

Cheers

Anthony

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

If you need to do this now, you should use the tools available now. You should also plan to maintain an environment (see Jeremy’s message this morning with the instructions) so that you can continue to use the tools available now for the foreseeable future.

Predicting how it will go to upgrade from a known app to an unreleased app is a guess at best. I am certain that Softpress will try very hard to make this process as easy and fool-proof as possible, since it’s in their best commercial interest to do so, but nobody has seen the replacement app, or used it, or tried to open a previous-version document with it yet.

Be as conservative about this as your business needs require you to be. Take good care of your pre-Catalina Mac, and wait to upgrade it until you really can’t any more (for real business reasons). If you really have to get a newer version of the OS in order to be compatible with something else, consider getting a new Mac and keeping your old one on Mojave, or buying an older used Mac to run Mojave and any 32-bit apps that you can’t replace. I am seriously wondering what I am going to use instead of Aperture, which is similarly marooned, even though it is already 64-bit.

Walter

On Sep 30, 2019, at 5:16 AM, agallagher email@hidden wrote:

Hi Jeremy

I’m working on a large website update and I am wondering if I should hold off until Freeway 8 comes out or not. If I continue with Freeway 7.1.4 will it be much work to transfer into 8?

Cheers

Anthony

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden