[Pro] Freeway 8

Hi Bob,

We are working on a 64-bit version of Freeway. Unfortunately, Apple have abandoned many of the (32-bit) APIs that Freeway uses (rather than providing 64-bit versions) so we’re rewriting Freeway from scratch. This is a major undertaking, but we’re making good progress.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hi Jeremy, You’ve been stating this for a long, long time!

Can you tell us if by the time the next OS 10.15 is released this coming September you will have, at the very least, a beta to be tested, or, better yet, a new FWP8?

I am sure that this will help a lot people to plan ahead, because FWP7 will no longer be useful with the next OS, as you well know. Thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Apple will presumably release a new version of macOS this fall, and our plan is to have a public beta available before then.

But you should definitely plan ahead.

We’ve said that we are rewriting Freeway from scratch, and that this is a major undertaking in comparison with all previous versions.

We’re making good progress, and development speed is much faster than it was for the previous version of Freeway (which was held back by legacy code) - but it may take a while before the new version is a complete replacement for the current version.

So, if you’re using the current version of Freeway, it would make sense to keep a partition or virtual machine that runs macOS 10.14 or earlier - as others have suggested.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for the update Jeremy.

One big question, that would be useful to have an answer to, is whether or not there will be any conversion process, from FW7 to FW8 files? I can imagine that incorporating such a process, could be a gigantic resources black hole … but it would be good to know all the same. :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Reading Freeway-7 files is part of the plan - but there are other features that have higher priority right now, so it might not be there from the start.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for confirming my assumption Jeremy. That’s exactly what I plan, to have a partition for FW8.

One last question: when you say that “it make take a while before the new version is a complete replacement for the current version”, do you foresee the first complete new version as capable of reading FW7 files, or, since you mentioned that it is not a priority, will it take some updates to accomplish that?

Álvaro

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

One last question: when you say that “it make take a while before the new version is a complete replacement for the current version”, do you foresee the first complete new version as capable of reading FW7 files, or, since you mentioned that it is not a priority, will it take some updates to accomplish that?

I wouldn’t say that reading Freeway-7 files is not a priority, but it is dependent upon other functionality being implemented first. So the point where the new version of Freeway contains everything (or most of what) currently exists in Freeway 7 is the point where we can usefully read Freeway-7 files.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Well, indeed. But it sounds like the first complete version (FWP 8.0) may not be able to read all FW7 files. Am I right? I hope I’m wrong.

Álvaro

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I don’t know if they would release such a thing, except maybe as a technology preview. If all you could do was build new sites with it, and not read in existing ones, it would have limited viability for upgrading customers, which would probably be the bulk of the market to begin with.

Walter

On Mar 8, 2019, at 1:50 PM, Alvaro de Regil email@hidden wrote:

Well, indeed. But it sounds like the first complete version (FWP 8.0) may not be able to read all FW7 files. Am I right? I hope I’m wrong.

Álvaro

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 8 Mar 2019, 11:34 pm, waltd wrote:

I don’t know if they would release such a thing, except maybe as a technology preview. If all you could do was build new sites with it, and not read in existing ones, it would have limited viability for upgrading customers, which would probably be the bulk of the market to begin with.

Walter

For sure. I would have to stick with Fwy 7 Pro (and OS 10.14) if the upcoming Fwy 8 could not seamlessly open our Fwy 7 files directly into Fwy 8. Since beginning with Fwy 3.5 in 2004 I’ve slowly built a ~450-page website, each page personally written and unique. I could not possibly start over if I had to rebuild my website.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

good to know,

i’ve some new projects with need a website, i will build some small ones so i can build new ones when FW8 is available. I’m waiting in patience.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Our goal is to create a new version of Freeway that is a complete replacement for Freeway 7. But some features (such as the ability to read Freeway-7 files) will take time to implement.

We are planning to release a public beta later this year (before the next version of macOS is released), followed by regular updates from then on.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

HUZZAH!

(not the first time I’ve read this, just felt it was time to cheer)
Frank Harsh

On Mar 9, 2019, at 2:56 AM, Jeremy Hughes email@hidden wrote:

Our goal is to create a new version of Freeway that is a complete replacement for Freeway 7. But some features (such as the ability to read Freeway-7 files) will take time to implement.

We are planning to release a public beta later this year (before the next version of macOS is released), followed by regular updates from then on.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 9 Mar 2019, 10:56 am, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

Jeremy

Thanks for further clarifying Jeremy. Yet I’m sorry to say that you are not direct enough. If I’m inferring correctly, it would be suffice it to say, for the purpose of planning ahead: “No. the first complete version of FW8 (FWP 8.0) will not be able to read FW7 files”.

Consequently, FW8 will be great for new sites but useless for the thousands of sites using FW7. I just hope that the next top priority would be to make FW8.1 fully capable of reading all FW7 files, which based on the length of your development timeline so far, I envision to be ready some time in 2020.

Álvaro

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I have only been a Mac user for 25 years, but I don’t remember a program update that would not open files from the preceding version. To my mind, having to rewrite sites from scratch is a powerful disincentive to continuing with Freeway. Given that my other (already 64-bit) web program imports site folders at the click of a button, and has the longed-for advantage of providing a code window editing option, I know where to go. As I like Freeway, I may well pay for the FW8 update, but doubt I will use it as my main program.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for further clarifying Jeremy. Yet I’m sorry to say that you are not direct enough. If I’m inferring correctly, it would be suffice it to say, for the purpose of planning ahead: “No. the first complete version of FW8 (FWP 8.0) will not be able to read FW7 files”.

I think you’re using “complete" in a different sense to how I’ve been using it. Reading Freeway-7 files is part of what I mean by “complete replacement for Freeway 7”.

Jeremy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Jeremy for all the hard work. Im really looking forward to the new FWP.

so to be clear: all our FW7 websites will open using FW8 so we dont have to go back and forth?

or will we have to wait on that?
Thx

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think what Jeremy has said, all along, is that the final release version of Freeway 8 will open Freeway 7 documents (and convert them to version 8 documents). That’s what Freeway has always done. What some people have latched on to here is the notion that a pre-release public beta version may not have that final detail in place, and they are worried that omission may be permanent. Softpress would never be so short-sighted, in my opinion.

Walter

On Mar 11, 2019, at 9:59 AM, Carla email@hidden wrote:

Thanks Jeremy for all the hard work. Im really looking forward to the new FWP.

so to be clear: all our FW7 websites will open using FW8 so we dont have to go back and forth?

or will we have to wait on that?
Thx

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thx Walter
I thought I was clear on that until the last few threads! ha

Thx for chiming in
C

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 11 Mar 2019, 12:56 pm, Jeremy Hughes wrote:

I think you’re using “complete” in a different sense to how I’ve been using it. Reading Freeway-7 files is part of what I mean by “complete replacement for Freeway 7”.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, I think that to be completely clear we need to be more explicit. From what you have said so far, my understanding is that the first complete version (not the beta, but the first complete FW8) may not read FW7 files because it depends on other priorities. I assume that all the beta versions will not read FW7 files and that is perfectly alright. So please clarify if the first FW8 that we would have to pay before downloading it, would read FW7 files or not.

Having said that, I want to let you know that my impression is that most of us hold in very high esteem all the hard work that you and your team are doing to bring back FW to life after having closed your business. It is really a great software that I have personally been using since 2003, and it would be hard to imagine finding something else with such a great interface for people who do not write code. So, in my case, even if the first complete FW8 does not read FW7 files, for whatever reason, I would still buy it just to contribute to the further development of the project until it is fully capable of reading FW7 and much more, I assume.

Thank you so much for the great effort!

Álvaro

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden