[Pro] Freeway Alternative - Mobirise

Hi Everyone

Just like so many of you, the demise of Softpress has hit me hard. Freeway gave me a new start in life back in 2009 when I was made redundant. Since then I have built about 130 Freeway sites and without knowing a line of code! My thanks over the years to Joe and the team for such a wonderful piece of software and to so many of you guys for your assistance. And I would also like to remember Dan Jasker whose videos really put me on track in the early days.

I’ve looked at many of the alternatives already mentioned, but none seem to quite fit the bill for me, but today all that changed as I came across Mobirise (mobirise.com). I’ve spent most of the day watching YouTube videos by Brian Haferkamp, there are about 50 of them covering every aspect of this software, but in truth it’s very intuitive and most of you “experts” will find it incredibly easy to pick up.

The really good news is it’s free for Mac or PC, but in reality you will need the HTML editor add on which is $69. Out of the box it has many powerful features and with a little coding knowledge any of the HTML or CSS can be fully customized.

It certainly ticks all the boxes for me, so I would be interested to hear others views in due course.

David

http://mobirise.com

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hi David,
I’ve used Mobrise in the past and I agree that it is a very sold application for pulling together a site based on pre-made ‘blocks’. There are a number of these Bootstrap Builders available (Pinegrow, Pingendo, Mobirise) and even web-based versions like the Free HTML 5 generator;

The only issue I have with Mobirise is the cost of the code editor. If it were more in line with the cost of other add ons then I think it would be OK but $70 does seem excessive considering other systems (the Free HTML 5 generator) allow you to directly change the source code.
Regards,
Tim.

On 26 Jul 2016, at 19:31, David Smerdon email@hidden wrote:

Just like so many of you, the demise of Softpress has hit me hard. Freeway gave me a new start in life back in 2009 when I was made redundant. Since then I have built about 130 Freeway sites and without knowing a line of code! My thanks over the years to Joe and the team for such a wonderful piece of software and to so many of you guys for your assistance. And I would also like to remember Dan Jasker whose videos really put me on track in the early days.

I’ve looked at many of the alternatives already mentioned, but none seem to quite fit the bill for me, but today all that changed as I came across Mobirise (mobirise.com http://mobirise.com/). I’ve spent most of the day watching YouTube videos by Brian Haferkamp, there are about 50 of them covering every aspect of this software, but in truth it’s very intuitive and most of you “experts” will find it incredibly easy to pick up.

The really good news is it’s free for Mac or PC, but in reality you will need the HTML editor add on which is $69. Out of the box it has many powerful features and with a little coding knowledge any of the HTML or CSS can be fully customized.

It certainly ticks all the boxes for me, so I would be interested to hear others views in due course.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Tim,

If you’ve used Mobirise, surely you must know of Blocs 2:

To my eyes, Mobirise and Blocs look like chips from off the same, well, block. I even asked the developer of Blocs (in another FWtalk thread) to offer us some thoughts that differentiate Blocs from other web design apps, but I got the standard “I prefer not to” answer. Even so, it almost seems like the two apps are clones. But who’s the clone, and is the clone better than the original copy? :slight_smile:

Be sure to check out the following video on Blocs 2 that shows just how an entire web page is built from the ground up:

And here is the thread dedicated to Blocs, if you wish to converse directly with Norm (creator of Blocs).

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi James,
Yes I know about Blocs. There are a number of Bootstrap builders out there - some are web applications others are dedicated Mac, Windows or Linux apps that are simply thin wrappers for the original web code. Unlike the majority of these tools Norm has taken Bootstrap as a core and has, and continues to, build on it. The UI for Blocs is very nice and you can see from the product history just how it has grown over the various versions with new features.

Personally I like Norm’s attitude to comparing his product with the competition and his reluctance to, potentially, bad mouth the competition. He gets my vote for that alone.
Regards,
Tim.

On 29 Jul 2016, at 01:57, JDW email@hidden wrote:

If you’ve used Mobirise, surely you must know of Blocs 2:

http://blocsapp.com http://blocsapp.com/

To my eyes, Mobirise and Blocs look like chips from off the same, well, block. I even asked the developer of Blocs (in another FWtalk thread) to offer us some thoughts that differentiate Blocs from other web design apps, but I got the standard “I prefer not to” answer. Even so, it almost seems like the two apps are clones. But who’s the clone, and is the clone better than the original copy? :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Tim,

While I join you in appreciating Norm’s hesitation in speaking about competitive products (even for the sake of not giving them free advertising by the mere invoking of their name), the fact remains that the entire Freeway user base will be needing a Freeway replacement at some point and we therefore are doing the leg work now to compare a variety of apps on our own. But as we do that, some critically important differences among products may not be readily apparent to us, even after reviewing a trial app or briefly scanning documentation. Therein lies the basis for my query to Norm about what “sets Blocs apart.” The question is valid and can be answered without “badmouthing” anyone or other apps. Consider well what has long set Freeway apart from other apps, which is mere truth that exists regardless of those other apps.

I don’t seek badmouthing. I seek an objective set of facts that aid in the decision making process on what is the best Freeway alternative for me and for those like-minded, noting that not all are like me and therefore our final app selections will differ.

For example, we know that Joe Workman has not only embraced RapidWeaver but he has expanded it with Foundation. In contrast, we know Blocs is built upon Bootstrap, as you just mentioned. And although you did say “bootstrap is a core” framework, no specifics were given about the merits of Bootstrap versus Foundation.

While something entirely different, I know, Freeway was at its core an aging MacApp program. That underlying framework was great in its heyday but became outdated many years ago. Again, I know that Foundation and Boostrap are a very different category of things than MacApp, but looking at “the core” of an app tells us about the app. Bootstrap versus Foundation. And other valid and important comparisons can and should be made as well.

If I can get an insider to give me important clues as to why I should choose an app above others out there, I am going to try my best to glean that information, even if some consider it bordering on badmouthing other products. But for the record, I am not seeking a reply that says, “Our UI beats theirs, hands-down, and they will never catch up with us.” I agree that would be badmouthing (and interestingly sounds a bit like how Apple talks about itself), but that’s not what I seek. Just give me a tactful answer like, “I can’t speak for competitive products, but here are the lesser known aspects of our app that you may find interesting or important.”

That’s it in a nutshell.

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

There are numerous well-written articles that explain in detail the pros/cons, differences and similarities between front-end frameworks like Bootstrap, Foundation, Susy etc. than can be explained here.

A search for “Foundation vs Bootstrap” or “Foundation vs Bootstrap vs Susy” will turn up insightful and accurate explanations. It’s a good place to start.

Todd
Office (Chicago): 312.212.3955

no specifics were given about the merits of Bootstrap versus Foundation

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Todd, I actually read a comparison just last night which, in summary, said “there’s not much difference” and “it’s boils down to personal preference.” It was a very lengthy and detailed comparison, but in the end, that’s what it said.

But my previous post still stands. My previous post should not be interpreted as something limited to a Bootstrap versus Foundation comparison alone. When I ask a developer what sets their app apart from others, I am not asking for badmouthing of competitive apps. I am asking for “lesser known facts that differentiate the app.” If such info cannot be provided, regardless of reason, then of course my inquisitive mind wonders why. And then I proceed to ask the same question of a developer of another app; and if they answer me, I will naturally feel drawn toward their app a bit more for the sheer reason my query was at least in part satisfied.

I hold no animosity toward any developer, regardless of whether they answer my “what differentiates your app?” query. But those who do answer, without badmouthing of course, get a plus in my book because they are aiding me and others in making a very difficult decision on what app we should choose to replace Freeway.

Thanks,

James

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks James for all your effort. It is not going unnoticed!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

@JDW it’s hard for any developer to tell you what is completely unique to their product in the area of web design, in 2016. If they did they would be completely guessing unless they had used and analysed all of the competing apps (there are a lot). As I noted in my initial response, I have not, so I don’t want to lie to you just to get you to buy my app.

If I was a salesman I could bullshit you, but I’m not, I’m just a guy who would rather have a happy user than another $79.99 in the bank. IMO the only way to get close to achieving that is for you to try the apps yourself and figur out the best matches for you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Norm,

Thank you for your reply (although perhaps it would be more appropriate if we moved our dialog to the Blocs thread here on FWtalk). I fully agree with you that using the trial will answer many questions. So why then does James Wages ask so many questions prior to using the Blocs App trial? Because the trial is only 7 days. That’s it in a nutshell. So as to get the most out of those precious few days, I want to ensure I know exactly what I need to test before the trial goes “poof!” These are not my sentiments alone, but such are shared by others here in various threads. It’s not a knock against you. It is merely an observation of fact.

Best wishes,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I think a problem occurs when a software developer promotes its own
software. When he pushes its advantages in front of the others, he should
also tell us whats less good in comparison with other programs. If he’s
honest. But that’s not very common if the software is needed to hold his
pants up. If it were my program I certainly would not want to emphasize the
disadvantages, would you?

So we will, searching for a good alternative, still need an independent
person to compare or do it by ourself. 50% Of working with software is the
click you get with its look & feel, its structure and joy of use. The other
half are its features, compatibilty and speed of work. Based upon that
facts we will decide which one to choose.
Sometimes I just bought software/updates because I find the developers very
symphatetic and want to encourage them to go on with it, for perhaps latter
use. Like I did with Coffeecup RSD.

Download a trial, take your time for it on a lazy sunday. Do not just
fiddle around but try to (re)build a site for ‘the real world’.
After a hour or two you will discover which program will lead you by the
hand and which one drives you insane.

And read before those articles about software, who compared its main use
already for you. That will be your first shake up.

Succes!

Andries

2016-07-30 8:30 GMT+02:00 JDW email@hidden:

Norm,

Thank you for your reply (although perhaps it would be more appropriate if
we moved our dialog to the Blocs thread here on FWtalk). I fully agree
with you that using the trial will answer many questions. So why then does
James Wages ask so many questions prior to using the Blocs App trial?
Because the trial is only 7 days. That’s it in a nutshell. So as to get
the most out of those precious few days, I want to ensure I know exactly
what I need to test before the trial goes “poof!” These are not my
sentiments alone, but such are shared by others here in various threads.
It’s not a knock against you. It is merely an observation of fact.

Best wishes,

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I don’t think Norm could ever point out all the options positive, negatives etc of his app against others. If you’re working on commercial work that asking price is negligible over an extended period of time if only for a tool in your armoury.

If you weren’t happy with Freeway and that did more or less everything you needed in a round about way in places. You won’t like any of these new apps to rely solely upon. You’re going to have to go with the flow on this one.

David Owen

On 30 Jul 2016, at 07:30, JDW email@hidden wrote:

So as to get the most out of those precious few days, I want to ensure I know exactly what I need to test before the trial goes “poof!” These are not my sentiments alone, but such are shared by others here in various threads. It’s not a knock against you. It is merely an observation of fact.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 30 Jul 2016, at 12:22, email@hidden wrote:

honest.

…no he does not. I don’t think Norm could ever point out all the options positive, negatives etc of his app against all other apps. The positives and negative are the users perception.

If it were my program I certainly would not want to emphasize the

All apps are a compromise on features. What you find as a disadvantage others will deem irrelevant and vice versa.

David Owen

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You’re right David.

2016-07-30 16:40 GMT+02:00 David Owen email@hidden:

honest.

…no he does not. I don’t think Norm could ever point out all the options
positive, negatives etc of his app against all other apps. The positives
and negative are the users perception.

All apps are a compromise on features. What you find as a disadvantage
others will deem irrelevant and vice versa.

David Owen
http://www.printlineadvertising.co.uk
http://www.davidowendesign.com

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

At least one big difference between Blocs and Sparkle is its behaviour when
creating responsive design. Sparkle wants to do it by yourself, manually
like in Freeway. Create one site as a base and make adjustments for the
other devices so it will be adaptive, not fluid responsive. Its makes your
site faster online because all the frameworkcodes don’t have to be loaded.

Blocs on the other hand, based on Bootstrap, does it all for you what is a
main advantage concerning your workspeed. So if you have a big site it can
save you a lot of time when building.

2016-07-31 14:20 GMT+02:00 email@hidden:

You’re right David.

2016-07-30 16:40 GMT+02:00 David Owen email@hidden:

software. When he pushes its advantages in front of the others, he
should
honest.

…no he does not. I don’t think Norm could ever point out all the
options positive, negatives etc of his app against all other apps. The
positives and negative are the users perception.

All apps are a compromise on features. What you find as a disadvantage
others will deem irrelevant and vice versa.

David Owen
http://www.printlineadvertising.co.uk
http://www.davidowendesign.com

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Andries,

That’s pretty much my assessment, which is why I have been leaning toward Blocs of late.

HOWEVER, seeing this thread is about Mobirise, I am curious as to the specific differences, merits and demerits of Mobirise vs. Blocs. (No doubt everyone else is too.)

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Mobirise is just like Blocs Bootstrap based. Mobirise latest version is
Bootstrap 4. It seems that Foundation offers a bit more free design
functionality as framework, but both are build. You wil need an editor when
working more deeply with Mobirise, it’s not al free :wink:

2016-08-03 1:58 GMT+02:00 JDW email@hidden:

Andries,

That’s pretty much my assessment, which is why I have been leaning toward
Blocs of late.

HOWEVER, seeing this thread is about Mobirise, I am curious as to the
specific differences, merits and demerits of Mobirise vs. Blocs. (No doubt
everyone else is too.)

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Mobirise is just like Blocs Bootstrap based. Mobirise latest version is
Bootstrap 4.

It seems that Foundation offers a bit more free design functionality as a
framework, but both are very well built. You will need an editor though
when working more deeply with Mobirise, it’s not all free :wink:

2016-08-03 1:58 GMT+02:00 JDW email@hidden:

Andries,

That’s pretty much my assessment, which is why I have been leaning toward
Blocs of late.

HOWEVER, seeing this thread is about Mobirise, I am curious as to the
specific differences, merits and demerits of Mobirise vs. Blocs. (No doubt
everyone else is too.)

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden