[Pro] Freeway Alternative part 2 (Muse).

Yes you can. You call also add a recaptcha too :slight_smile:

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

love
love

Thanks,

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

might as well ask while you are here…

Can I make a carousel of images (or graphic text) and be able to HYPERLINK those images like freeway?

This way if someone wants more info about something in the carousel it can take them to see more info about it?

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Neil,
Thanks for the MUSE Facebook group. Looks very valuable if I go that way.

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Trev,

Is the form that gives you the IP address of the form user a standard form in MUSE or is it from a specific widget?

Also do you have a link to a site you made with MUSE that has the contact form that would give you my IP? Would like to see the form.

Thanks,

Barry

On 18 Aug 2016, 7:16 am, Trevreav wrote:

Hi Barry, yes you do
Trev

On 17 Aug 2016, at 20:26, Hoffkids wrote:

Trev

In muse… When someone uses your contact form and you get the email with their info, do you also get their ip adress like with freeways forms.?

Thanks
Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

To begin, I would like to personally thank Barry Hoffman of hoffkids.com for firing off several emails to me today which contained helpful and informative tidbits that inspired me to write the following thoughts on Muse. Most links below were provided to me by Barry.

Three years ago, I wrote the following overview of Muse:

But after hearing from Barry today, I gave Muse another objective look. I must admit that the following video is quite impressive and illustrates how very smooth the transition to Muse can be for Freeway users:

The following text review appears to be negative toward Muse insofar as the reviewer’s brain appears to be locked exclusively into that world which says “simpler is always better”:

https://www.sitebuilderreport.com/website-builders/review/adobe-muse

But we Freeway users are not from that world of limited features. We have grown accustomed to control, and yes, even accustomed to a semi-cluttered UI. Some may argue Freeway offers so much control it is intimidating, and for responsive designs I must humbly agree. I have never been able to create a fully responsive website (to my satisfaction) in Freeway. But after you watch the above video on responsive design in Muse, you as a Freeway user feel mysteriously at home, with abundant control at your finger tips, and with a modern and lovely WYSIWYG UI that we visual designers have always longed for in Freeway. And if you use or have used Adobe apps before, you feel even more comfortable with Muse.

Extensions to Muse remind me of Freeway actions, or Stacks in the RapidWeaver world. Here are two examples:

http://www.widgetsformuse.com/pv-hdownfold.html

http://widgetsformuse.com/pv-fullscreenslider.html

Such add-ons are very helpful to assist the web designer in accomplishing what otherwise would be very hard for the Visual Designer to do on their own. The existence of extensibility, to me, illustrates the long term viability of the core web design app. I say this because extensions are created by the community, rather than the core app developer. That frees the developer to spend time improving the core app, and all the while third parties continue to offer important and useful content creation tools to users.

In light of the sheer size of Adobe, it comes as no surprise that documentation and training materials are top notch. Such is important for any app in this category which, like Freeway, offers incredible control over the design. Here is but one example:

So what is preventing all of us Freeway users from making the Muse plunge?

Obviously, coders among us have never really been attracted to apps geared toward visual designers. Perhaps they were at one time in the distant past, but then they learned to be a coder and as a result now think more independelty about how to proceed with a web design without too much reliance on any one particular web design app. But that isn’t me nor is it most people who fall into the Visual Designer camp.

And then there is the issue of not being able to publish or preview offline, as per this:

From 2013:

From late 2015:
https://muse.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205140925-CAN-I-USE-MUSE-OFFLINE-

Barry spoke with an Adobe rep and apparently you can publish and preview so long as you connect to the internet once per month, but I personally have not tested that.

But even if that is not a show-stopper for you, perhaps other issue this will be. What prevents “the rest of us” from jumping directly from Freeway to MUSE is the wicked subscription model. Some who happily pay that eternal monthly fee will no doubt take strong issue with my choice of adjectives here, but I know the future is not a subscription model, at least not for me. Subscriptions are “rentware.” You may not get evicted as if you were renting an apartment or house, but what about when you wish to stop paying rent? You evict yourself. The same with MUSE. Stop paying that monthly fee and your beloved app is transformed into little more than a content viewer. That remains true regardless of the thousands upon thousands of dollars you may have paid in rent for that software through the years. Thankful when it comes to a home, we have not only the option to rent but also the option to buy. Imagine if you could never own your own home.

When you buy an app like Freeway or Blocs or Sparkle, or the Affinity apps from Serif, you get to use that “version” for as long as you like, which could be forever if you hold off on upgrading your computer and OS. Here in Japan, companies prioritize finances above trends. As such, there are a surprising number of companies who still use Adobe CS2 apps. They stick with what works for them, and only upgrade when they know they absolutely must have a given set of features.

There is much more than can be said for and against the Adobe subscription model, but suffice it to say subscriptions are not for everyone. If you love subscriptions, as a Freeway user, you are obligated to take a very close look at MUSE. But for the rest of us who dislike subscriptions with such a passion we dream about it at night, it doesn’t matter how great MUSE is – we won’t embrace it. It’s kind of like reading a review of an amazing Android phone or Windows 10 notebook. We Apple product lovers drool over the hardware but in the end we don’t defect because of the OS. It’s the same with MUSE. We may drool over it being the right product for us, but we refuse to enter that world of the everlasting monthly payment.

Food for thought.

James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Barry, it’s from the built in form, although there are a lot of free widgets out there:

http://lunatix.co.uk/contact.html

Trev

On 20 Aug 2016, at 04:50, Hoffkids email@hidden wrote:

Trev,

Is the form that gives you the IP address of the form user a standard form in MUSE or is it from a specific widget?

Also do you have a link to a site you made with MUSE that has the contact form that would give you my IP? Would like to see the form.

Thanks,

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Trev. Coming over this week!!! (to Muse)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 25 Jul 2016, 2:31 pm, Neil wrote:

No need to run for cover, Softpress is gone and we’re all looking for a viable alternative!

Has something new happened? Since we were told that Softpress has risen from the ashes and that they are hard at work on ‘FW-Modern’?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Oops! Only just noticed that date of the above comment. Sorry.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Nothing “new” has happened insofar as we’ve read no new announcements from SoftPress. My guess is that SoftPress is hard at work rebuilding Freeway from the ground up in Apple’s Swift. I doubt they are spending any time on bug fixes for Freeway Pro 7. As such, in consideration of just how limited their engineer staff surely is, I would not be holding my breath to see that “great new thing” anytime soon. But if SoftPress can hold on until that new baby is brought into this world, I have little doubt it would be something great. At least, I am optimistically trying to tell myself so. :slight_smile:

I remain unamused by MUSE and its subscription model. Long live “pay once, use it as long as you like” (until YOU decide to upgrade) software!

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Muse is good.

The more I do with it, the more I like it. It has it’s limits - different ones to Freeway - but overall, thoroughly enjoying the experience of being able to have multiple undos and not having an out of place click send things crashing around my ears.

As for the subscription model, I’d rather it wasn’t in that direction, but as I’m a heavy Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign user, it’s all part of the pot, so may as well use it.

Trev

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Trev.

Can you simply share 2 or 3 limits of Muse that come to mind?

Appreciate it!

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The main one I can think of, which I thought was great in Freeway, is the ability to set sizes and padding as percentages. This is probably the most frustrating thing I’ve found in Muse. Others are pretty minor -Ii’m still finding where I can add code and how. Luckily I haven’t had to do that yet apart from one header bit.

Other little irritants crop up from time to time, but overall, the stability far outweighs the subscription downfalls!

BTW Barry - did you message me on the Muse Facebook page the other day? I saw what I thought was from you and when I went to reply it had disappeared!

Trev

On 5 Jul 2017, at 12:38, Hoffkids email@hidden wrote:

Thanks Trev.

Can you simply share 2 or 3 limits of Muse that come to mind?

Appreciate it!

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Trev,
Thanks for that info. Not sure if I did, but prob since I am getting set to start to change over. Was probably thinking of you and the other FW people that went to Muse.

Also, do you know why there was never a Freeway Pro Facebook group started like Muse. Surprising.

Talk to you,

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Intersting, I’m still using Muse and like it, several aspects that Freeway didn’t / doesn’t have, however, now that the subs are going up substantially less so.

One thing I’m interested to hear from others, on one website I created in Muse the hosting provider continually has a problem with the forms. They were working perfectly well, client was receiving registrations, then all of a sudden one afternoon the forms ceased working. I hadn’t done anything to the website, the client hadn’t used the (basic) CMS. The provider claims it all Adobe’s doing. Eventually they managed to work it out after many hours saying it’s the php that Muse uses. And btw that also happened when using Freeway for the same website. It hasn’t happened on any other website I’ve created.

Elizabeth

On 6 Jul 2017, at 1:23 AM, Hoffkids email@hidden wrote:

Hi Trev,
Thanks for that info. Not sure if I did, but prob since I am getting set to start to change over. Was probably thinking of you and the other FW people that went to Muse.

Also, do you know why there was never a Freeway Pro Facebook group started like Muse. Surprising.

Talk to you,

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Elizabeth, 2 things

1. what does this mean
    “several aspects that Freeway didn’t / doesn’t have, however, now that the subs are going up substantially less so.”

2. If it happened with Freeway too doesn’t that mean it is not really a Muse thing?
    "And btw that also happened when using Freeway for the same website. "

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

to clarify Barry,

there are features that Muse has that I find very helpful that Freeway doesn’t or didn’t have - I haven’t used Freeway for quite a while, however, now that the subs pricing is increasing so dramatically for CC I’m reconsidering my options.

The hosting provider for this one particular website keeps telling me its an Adobe problem, not their server, but yet I don’t have these problems with other hosting providers, they work without issues. Then I remembered that we had the same problem when I was using Freeway - something to do with the php script in the forms. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

E.

On 6 Jul 2017, at 8:55 AM, Hoffkids email@hidden wrote:

Elizabeth, 2 things

1. what does this mean
    “several aspects that Freeway didn’t / doesn’t have, however, now that the subs are going up substantially less so.”

2. If it happened with Freeway too doesn’t that mean it is not really a Muse thing?
    "And btw that also happened when using Freeway for the same website. "

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Barry,

Although this thread is centered on Muse (and its lovely rentware subscription model), I strongly suggest you follow what’s going on with Blocs too:

I’ve been helping out with Beta testing and contributing feature requests and posting in their forum. I don’t use Blocs now, but if a brand new version of Freeway never comes to be, I must be prepared.

I couldn’t care if Muse could read my mind and spit out a glorious web page automatically, there’s no way I’m going to rent software forever. That’s why I’ve been looking at alternatives. Blocs has a lot of promise, not just because it is a very simple and straightforward way to design for the web, but because it’s developer really listens to people who provide feedback AND the man is lightening fast when it comes to bug fixes and feature additions.

Because I have extensive experience with Freeway, both in using its tools and experiencing its limitations (responsive web design is too hard in Freeway), it’s easier for me to see how Blocs can be improved. That’s why I contribute to making it better even though I don’t yet use it for web design. That is also what I’ve done with Serif apps too. They’re still missing too many features for me to ditch existing apps now, but I bought Affinity Photo and Designer so I could test, offer feedback and support the company who will one day, I hope, unseat Adobe as king of bitmap and vector design.

With that said, I do hope a new version of Freeway sees the light of day. I won’t give up on Freeway until I see the very last nail enter the coffin.

Best wishes,

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

James, is there a CMS available for Blocs?

Elizabeth

On 6 Jul 2017, at 10:13 AM, JDW email@hidden wrote:

Barry,

Although this thread is centered on Muse (and its lovely rentware subscription model), I strongly suggest you follow what’s going on with Blocs too:

I’ve been helping out with Beta testing and contributing feature requests and posting in their forum. I don’t use Blocs now, but if a brand new version of Freeway never comes to be, I must be prepared.

I couldn’t care if Muse could read my mind and spit out a glorious web page automatically, there’s no way I’m going to rent software forever. That’s why I’ve been looking at alternatives. Blocs has a lot of promise, not just because it is a very simple and straightforward way to design for the web, but because it’s developer really listens to people who provide feedback AND the man is lightening fast when it comes to bug fixes and feature additions.

Because I have extensive experience with Freeway, both in using its tools and experiencing its limitations (responsive web design is too hard in Freeway), it’s easier for me to see how Blocs can be improved. That’s why I contribute to making it better even though I don’t yet use it for web design. That is also what I’ve done with Serif apps too. They’re still missing too many features for me to ditch existing apps now, but I bought Affinity Photo and Designer so I could test, offer feedback and support the company who will one day, I hope, unseat Adobe as king of bitmap and vector design.

With that said, I do hope a new version of Freeway sees the light of day. I won’t give up on Freeway until I see the very last nail enter the coffin.

Best wishes,

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden