[Pro] Freeway Alternative part 2 (Muse).

Thanks Trev.

Can you simply share 2 or 3 limits of Muse that come to mind?

Appreciate it!

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

The main one I can think of, which I thought was great in Freeway, is the ability to set sizes and padding as percentages. This is probably the most frustrating thing I’ve found in Muse. Others are pretty minor -Ii’m still finding where I can add code and how. Luckily I haven’t had to do that yet apart from one header bit.

Other little irritants crop up from time to time, but overall, the stability far outweighs the subscription downfalls!

BTW Barry - did you message me on the Muse Facebook page the other day? I saw what I thought was from you and when I went to reply it had disappeared!

Trev

On 5 Jul 2017, at 12:38, Hoffkids email@hidden wrote:

Thanks Trev.

Can you simply share 2 or 3 limits of Muse that come to mind?

Appreciate it!

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Trev,
Thanks for that info. Not sure if I did, but prob since I am getting set to start to change over. Was probably thinking of you and the other FW people that went to Muse.

Also, do you know why there was never a Freeway Pro Facebook group started like Muse. Surprising.

Talk to you,

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Intersting, I’m still using Muse and like it, several aspects that Freeway didn’t / doesn’t have, however, now that the subs are going up substantially less so.

One thing I’m interested to hear from others, on one website I created in Muse the hosting provider continually has a problem with the forms. They were working perfectly well, client was receiving registrations, then all of a sudden one afternoon the forms ceased working. I hadn’t done anything to the website, the client hadn’t used the (basic) CMS. The provider claims it all Adobe’s doing. Eventually they managed to work it out after many hours saying it’s the php that Muse uses. And btw that also happened when using Freeway for the same website. It hasn’t happened on any other website I’ve created.

Elizabeth

On 6 Jul 2017, at 1:23 AM, Hoffkids email@hidden wrote:

Hi Trev,
Thanks for that info. Not sure if I did, but prob since I am getting set to start to change over. Was probably thinking of you and the other FW people that went to Muse.

Also, do you know why there was never a Freeway Pro Facebook group started like Muse. Surprising.

Talk to you,

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Elizabeth, 2 things

1. what does this mean
    “several aspects that Freeway didn’t / doesn’t have, however, now that the subs are going up substantially less so.”

2. If it happened with Freeway too doesn’t that mean it is not really a Muse thing?
    "And btw that also happened when using Freeway for the same website. "

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

to clarify Barry,

there are features that Muse has that I find very helpful that Freeway doesn’t or didn’t have - I haven’t used Freeway for quite a while, however, now that the subs pricing is increasing so dramatically for CC I’m reconsidering my options.

The hosting provider for this one particular website keeps telling me its an Adobe problem, not their server, but yet I don’t have these problems with other hosting providers, they work without issues. Then I remembered that we had the same problem when I was using Freeway - something to do with the php script in the forms. I wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

E.

On 6 Jul 2017, at 8:55 AM, Hoffkids email@hidden wrote:

Elizabeth, 2 things

1. what does this mean
    “several aspects that Freeway didn’t / doesn’t have, however, now that the subs are going up substantially less so.”

2. If it happened with Freeway too doesn’t that mean it is not really a Muse thing?
    "And btw that also happened when using Freeway for the same website. "

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Barry,

Although this thread is centered on Muse (and its lovely rentware subscription model), I strongly suggest you follow what’s going on with Blocs too:

I’ve been helping out with Beta testing and contributing feature requests and posting in their forum. I don’t use Blocs now, but if a brand new version of Freeway never comes to be, I must be prepared.

I couldn’t care if Muse could read my mind and spit out a glorious web page automatically, there’s no way I’m going to rent software forever. That’s why I’ve been looking at alternatives. Blocs has a lot of promise, not just because it is a very simple and straightforward way to design for the web, but because it’s developer really listens to people who provide feedback AND the man is lightening fast when it comes to bug fixes and feature additions.

Because I have extensive experience with Freeway, both in using its tools and experiencing its limitations (responsive web design is too hard in Freeway), it’s easier for me to see how Blocs can be improved. That’s why I contribute to making it better even though I don’t yet use it for web design. That is also what I’ve done with Serif apps too. They’re still missing too many features for me to ditch existing apps now, but I bought Affinity Photo and Designer so I could test, offer feedback and support the company who will one day, I hope, unseat Adobe as king of bitmap and vector design.

With that said, I do hope a new version of Freeway sees the light of day. I won’t give up on Freeway until I see the very last nail enter the coffin.

Best wishes,

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

James, is there a CMS available for Blocs?

Elizabeth

On 6 Jul 2017, at 10:13 AM, JDW email@hidden wrote:

Barry,

Although this thread is centered on Muse (and its lovely rentware subscription model), I strongly suggest you follow what’s going on with Blocs too:

I’ve been helping out with Beta testing and contributing feature requests and posting in their forum. I don’t use Blocs now, but if a brand new version of Freeway never comes to be, I must be prepared.

I couldn’t care if Muse could read my mind and spit out a glorious web page automatically, there’s no way I’m going to rent software forever. That’s why I’ve been looking at alternatives. Blocs has a lot of promise, not just because it is a very simple and straightforward way to design for the web, but because it’s developer really listens to people who provide feedback AND the man is lightening fast when it comes to bug fixes and feature additions.

Because I have extensive experience with Freeway, both in using its tools and experiencing its limitations (responsive web design is too hard in Freeway), it’s easier for me to see how Blocs can be improved. That’s why I contribute to making it better even though I don’t yet use it for web design. That is also what I’ve done with Serif apps too. They’re still missing too many features for me to ditch existing apps now, but I bought Affinity Photo and Designer so I could test, offer feedback and support the company who will one day, I hope, unseat Adobe as king of bitmap and vector design.

With that said, I do hope a new version of Freeway sees the light of day. I won’t give up on Freeway until I see the very last nail enter the coffin.

Best wishes,

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

James,
still love your enthusiasm.
Is there any place to see regular people’s actual web pages made with Blocs that you are aware of?

Barry

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve never used a CMS and am a real dummy when it comes to knowing details about them. But a simple search of the Blocs forum revealed this thread, which may be of interest:

Site built with Blocs are accessed from this page in their forum:

Here’s the root of the Blocs forum:

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

very helpful James.

Thanks.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks James, looks simple enough. It looks like you can’t upload a site from the software, only export and then use an FTP client. I’m not crazy about them, always had trouble with them.
E.

On 6 Jul 2017, at 11:31 AM, JDW email@hidden wrote:

I’ve never used a CMS and am a real dummy when it comes to knowing details about them. But a simple search of the Blocs forum revealed this thread, which may be of interest:

Site built with Blocs are accessed from this page in their forum:

Here’s the root of the Blocs forum:

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Yes, I dislike the lack of built-in FTP. But keep in mind there are other things Blocs currently lacks too, which is why I prefer to contribute to making Blocs better. If I contributed but was ignored, I would not have pursued Blocs so religiously. But because the developer has been very personal and quick to respond to most all that I have written, my interest in his app has been retained and I am very optimistic about its future.

For what it’s worth, I love Transmit from Panic. Freeway only lets you upload using FTP or SFTP or FTPS, but Transmit also lets me use WebDAV HTTPS, which I find faster in some cases than other protocols while still giving me a high amount of security.

–James Wages

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden