[Pro] freeway pro 7 works in catalina?

Somebody install catalina beta and check the freeway pro 7 works?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

You don’t need to do this to know the answer. Freeway 7 is a 32-bit Carbon application based on the MacApp framework from the 80s and early 90s. It will not start, and it will not run on Catalina or later.

The very last version of Mac OS that will support Freeway 7 is Mojave.

Happily, Softpress are currently working on a new version of Freeway that is written in Swift, using the 64-bit Cocoa AppKit framework. There is no delivery date promised (and don’t ask, it takes time away from them finishing it!), but you will be able to run Freeway on Mojave in a virtual machine, even on newer hardware or base OS until then. Or just do as I do, and hang on to your older hardware when you upgrade.

Walter

On Jun 10, 2019, at 6:26 PM, jgalicia via freewaytalk email@hidden wrote:

Somebody install catalina beta and check the freeway pro 7 works?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Also worth noting that there is no imperative to upgrade your OS the day Apple pushes it out of the door.

Note that Catalina will kill other apps that you may be clinging on to - my copy of Photoshop (CS3) will die. As will Aperture. I care less for Photoshop than I do for Aperture - I use Affinity Photo & Designer now instead of the Adobe products. Losing Aperture is a pain, as a lot of my edits will not transition to Photos, nor will they be supported by other similar apps.

I may well virtualise this Mac if other applications I use pressure the need to move to Catalina. However, I won’t be upgrading on day 1. I expect to be rocking Mojave well into the 2020.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Further to what Paul said, it’s worth mentioning that Apple’s typical
policy is to support the two latest versions of the OS, so Mojave will
likely continue to receive security updates for at least a year after
Catalina is released. Historically they have very occasionally provided
extended support to versions before major (problematic for a significant
number of people) changes, which may turn out to be the case for Mojave but
that’s wild speculation.

That said, what I would do is create a Mojave virtual machine (fresh
install) before upgrading to Catalina, not give it any network/Internet
access and use the VM’s shared folder feature to let the guest (Mojave)
access a folder on the host (Mojave now, Catalina later) where I would keep
my Freeway documents, Site folders and anything else I might need 32bit for.

Simon

P.S. I’m just chiming in with my personal thoughts for 32bit removal in
general, so it doesn’t necessarily reflect anything related to Softpress
policy or Freeway 8 roadmap.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:13 PM Paul email@hidden wrote:

Also worth noting that there is no imperative to upgrade your OS the day
Apple pushes it out of the door.

Note that Catalina will kill other apps that you may be clinging on to -
my copy of Photoshop (CS3) will die. As will Aperture. I care less for
Photoshop than I do for Aperture - I use Affinity Photo & Designer now
instead of the Adobe products. Losing Aperture is a pain, as a lot of my
edits will not transition to Photos, nor will they be supported by other
similar apps.

I may well virtualise this Mac if other applications I use pressure the
need to move to Catalina. However, I won’t be upgrading on day 1. I expect
to be rocking Mojave well into the 2020.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 11 Jun 2019, 11:13 am, Paul wrote:

Losing Aperture is a pain, as a lot of my edits will not transition to Photos, nor will they be supported by other similar apps.

I may well virtualise this Mac if other applications I use pressure the need to move to Catalina. However, I won’t be upgrading on day 1. I expect to be rocking Mojave well into the 2020.

Paul, you may have heard of RAW Power, which is produced by the former lead of Aperture, Nik Bhatt. It’s very similar in style and with Apple having announced that Aperture will not run in 10.15, he’s thinking about introducing DAM features into RAW Power, due to continued and numerous demand from stubborn Aperture users (for me, it remains easily the best DAM). Maybe worth adding your voice?

https://twitter.com/gentcoders?lang=en
https://gentlemencoders.com

As for your libraries … I’m keeping mine in Aperture format, but of course, for viewing on 10.15, we can always duplicate, then convert them to Photos. It’s a useful half-way house.

(Still can barely believe Apple screwed pro photographers so ruthlessly, by dumping Aperture. I find it amusing that they’re back trying to promote the ‘pro’ stuff again, for video. No way I’d ever, ever trust them again for ‘pro’ software. Thousands of hours down the drain.)

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Frustrating that Catalina will kill apps. Do you remember (long, long ago) when Apple introduced OS X? I was apprehensive about switching but finally bit the bullet and was happy to discover that Apple had built backward compatibility in so everything–everything-- worked. I wish they still had that philosophy now. We have multiple copies of Adobe CS5, Filemaker 13, MS Office 2011 and I fear all of these will grind to a halt with Catalina, forcing me to either not upgrade or go to the ongoing subscription payment model which I despise.

Sorry about the rant, I had to do it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 07/07/2019 01:16, Richard Cacciato wrote:

Frustrating that Catalina will kill apps. Do you remember (long, long ago) when Apple introduced OS X? I was apprehensive about switching but finally bit the bullet and was happy to discover that Apple had built backward compatibility in so everything–everything-- worked. I wish they still had that philosophy now. We have multiple copies of Adobe CS5, Filemaker 13, MS Office 2011 and I fear all of these will grind to a halt with Catalina, forcing me to either not upgrade or go to the ongoing subscription payment model which I despise.

True that Apple continued to provide a software layer that supported
Classic for a while, and then provided Rosetta to cover the switchover
to Intel, but they’ve been doing the same to support 32bit apps on 64bit
processors for some time now. This hasn’t hit the headlines like the
previous hardware switches did so many will not be aware. Now is the
time they’ve decided to drop that transition support just like they did
with the others. Not all CPU chips need extra software to support 32bit
operation on a 64bit chip, but the Intel PC chip series do.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Now would be a good time to investigate the Affinity products - which for me have been able to replace Photoshop and Illustrator.

On 7 Jul 2019, 12:16 am, Richard Cacciato wrote:

Sorry about the rant, I had to do it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I ended up getting Affinity Publisher to complete the (current?) Affinity suite. It’s very good for a first version. It means when you create a document in Publisher and all the tools of Designer and Photo are in the Publisher document to edit seamlessly. Document types you can create range from web images, tablets to print.

I reckon Affinity Publisher is more than ready now to replace our current print tools (QuarkXpress).

Seeing Serif had a Legacy Serif WebPlus I wonder where Affinity is heading next???

David Owen

On 9 Jul 2019, at 09:49, Paul email@hidden wrote:

Now would be a good time to investigate the Affinity products - which for me have been able to replace Photoshop and Illustrator.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I just came across this article on Macworld.com. I haven’t tried it, but it looks like it might a cool way to have both Catalina and Mojave available on the same Mac. I had no idea about this volume and container thing in APFS (Apple’s “new” file system that replaced HFS+).

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The container (as opposed to volume) works in the same fundamental way as
HFS+, it requires a physical partition on the device and the filesystem
fills that partition. What APFS does though is let you have as many logical
volumes as you want* within that filesystem, essentially the same as
creating multiple HFS+ partitions, with the crucial difference that they
share the capacity of the container so you don’t need to make decisions
about how big they should be or waste unused space.

• There probably is a limit, possibly dependent on drive capacity, but it’s
    likely way beyond any reasonable use case.

Since they’re just a partition with the APFS filesystem in it, you can also
have multiple APFS containers or an APFS container and something else on a
single drive. You might have APFS alongside HFS+ to run a pre-Mojave system
for example, or APFS alongside NTFS for Windows.

Simon

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 2:20 PM Joe Muscara email@hidden wrote:

I just came across this article on Macworld.com. I haven’t tried it, but
it looks like it might a cool way to have both Catalina and Mojave
available on the same Mac. I had no idea about this volume and container
thing in APFS (Apple’s “new” file system that replaced HFS+).

How to install the macOS Catalina beta in its own APFS container | Macworld

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

This APFS Container/Volume thing is really impressive tech to me. I had Catalina (and Mojave beta before that) in a separate partition, meaning that space was lost to me except when I was running from that partition. (Though I admit when Apple added the ability to live partition or unpartition a drive that was pretty cool and I used it in this case.) I removed that partition, got my space back, and then created a volume on my main container instead. Now my Catalina volume is as big as it needs to be, but no more.

It seems likely that I’ll migrate my main working drive to that volume when Catalina is final, and keep the Mojave volume around for those 32-bit apps that need it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

any updates as to when Freeway Pro will be updated for compatability with Catalina?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 30 Oct 2019, 8:52 pm, madcomposter wrote:

any updates as to when Freeway Pro will be updated for compatability with Catalina?

See this thread, especially Jeremy Hughes’ posts.

https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/thread/view/176836

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Reviving this old thread. I’m still running Mojave OSX 10.14, In part because of Freeway. But when I go to System Report and look at Legacy Software, Freeway doesn’t show up. Other applications like Office Mac 2011 show up. Why is this? Does Freeway really not even start in Catalina?

I don’t know what mechanisms Apple use for detecting legacy software, or even what specific things are intended to be listed there, so I can’t say why you aren’t seeing Freeway there. I can say that Freeway definitely will not run on Catalina or anything more recent without using a Mojave virtual machine.

There’s some more information about that here:

I thought so. Thanks, Simon. Looks like I have to upgrade from Mojave but will run Freeway in VMWare until Xway is completely ready to go.

Just remember virtual machines for running Freeway only works on Intel Macs and not the newer Apple Silicon Macs.