[Pro] Freeway Pro Job Opportunity (Chicago and beyond)

When it rains …

I received another inquiry about a Freeway Pro project for a smallish company in Chicago. Their Web person jumped ship unexpectedly and left them hanging. I’m not interested but someone here might be.

The client would like to buy/use FWP to build a ~100 page B2B product site with CMS functionality. They prefer to hire a FWP designer so they can manage the layout on their end when completed. If they can’t find a qualified FWP designer, or if the design/layout is too much for them to suss out they will pay the FW designer to maintain it for them or look into non-Freeway options.

Several people will be responsible for content editing so the CMS needs to offer decent user-management tools (no WebYep or Pulse). They contacted me because they found my Freeway Pro/MODX tutorial and asked about using that system, but at this point they aren’t married to any CMS.

Ideally the person be in the Chicago area so they can meet in person but they will consider any qualified person in the U.S. or Europe (Skype meeting required). They hope to get started sometime in August.

You know the drill:
If you’re interested and qualified send me your contact info, portfolio link etc. off-list (or via the CREATiv form below) and I will forward all inquiries to the client by close-of-business on July 31. They will contact you directly if interested.

Todd

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

I think we are in a safe space here to add a few notes.

Many things start with a lil story. It’s a story of truth and about Mr. Ogilvy, founder and former CEO from ogilvy & mather - a high roller design agency, used to present one design, more is not in their plan. “If this design doesn’t fit into your needs - we can’t do anything for you”.

Once he had a presentation (as often - I suppose). He walked into the room with 25! people sitting there waiting. He put his laptop on the desk and asked the following question:

“Who in this room is a decision maker?”

All of the 25 people gave hand signals.

Mr. Ogilvy took his laptop back in his rucksack, left the room without any further word.

You might think how arrogant gesture. But I think it was indeed the only reasonable decision in this situation.

Transferring this into this job, I wish you good luck doing it - and perhaps a good contract, too.

Why?

They prefer to hire a FWP designer so they can manage the layout on their end when completed

Wrong. I’m the designer! Once both agreed to it, it’s a manifest and no further need to fiddle in there. If fiddling required, I’m doing a bad job.

Several people will be responsible for content editing so the CMS needs to offer decent user-management tools

Is naturally possible from a technical standpoint. The question is:

Do all those really want to deal with the technical stuff coming alongside with a CMS? If so, why wasting loads of resources into this? What if one of those leaves the company?

As above mentioned, the outline is the key. It avoids an entire mess from the very start.

So here would be my estimate of costs:

Research/taking inventory: 1250$
Design: 1250$
Freeway-file: 495$
Making it responsive: Free of Charge
Finding out the responsible Admin-c and his 2-3 team mates
22500$

Apologize - I couldn’t resist.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden