[Pro] How do a allow customers to send files to me

How do a allow customers to send files to me directly for my website?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

What sorts of files are you talking about Tony.

Usually a customer/client would just email a zip of associated files or provide a dropbox link to a shared space.

If you are considering some sort of web upload to your site then you should think very carefully about this. Your site is likely to be hosted on shared server space and as such any files ‘uploaded’ to that space can put all the other sites on that server at risk if the files are not checked/sanitised correctly. You dont really want to be responsible for bringing down a whole server - potentially hundreds of sites - do you?

Give us more information about what you are trying to do and we can give better targeted advice.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Dave

I would like to place a file upload link on this page: http://goo.gl/DlCJPs

• with the ability (on my part) to download this at will

• or have it download to us autmatically

We need to receive large files at time from customers as we are graphic designers so I’m trying to make it easier and more convenient for the customer to do so.

A file upload link is quite common on a printers website.

Tony

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hello Tony,

There is a link to ‘Send a Large File’ on the page already is there not?
Which takes you to a page with a range of options for clients to upload large files.

The methods listed offer a variety of ways for clients to send files. What is it you wish to do thats different from any of these at all?

Just curious.

Anthony

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Anthony

Required: the ability to upload a file directly from a form on the website.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

A file upload link is quite common on a printers website.

Sure - but these uploads are generally well protected/sandboxed so that no malicious content can get through.

Without correct protection you are putting potentially hundreds of other sites at risk.

How would you feel if another site on your shared server received a malicious file that took the whole server (including your site) down?

It is doable but it is not a step you should take lightly.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Interestingly I found 607 domains hosted on the same web server as yours.

A lot of sites to risk unnecessarily.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I do something vaguely similar where members can upload a variety of file types (controlled by me) using a (slightly modified) file manager. Although the upload process is slightly different the end result is essentially the same.

Ideally your file uploads would be stored outside the site root where they could automatically be scanned and if necessary, quarantined. When I say “outside” it could be above the site root (same server) or even better, on a completely different server where there is no way infected files can cause problems. For example, Amazon “dumb” storage.

While not excessively difficult to setup it would require a fair bit of tech work.

If you decide to upload straight to your site root then at least make sure your host has some sort of (manual) virus scanner in place so you can run it daily. A2 Hosting has a decent scanner The Best Web Hosting Services at 20x Speeds | A2 Hosting but as far as I know it can’t be configured to run on a schedule. But I could be wrong.

Todd
Office (Chicago): 312.212.3955

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ok, thank you all for your help. I’ll contact my ISP and see what they can offer.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden