[Pro] How to remove my account from this forum

Can anyone please tell me how to remove – Permanently Remove – my account AND my email address from this forum.

I understand how to stop receiving emails… just uncheck the check boxes. That works.

But how can I have that email address Permanently removed from this forum system? SPammers continue to pick up my email address from this forum.

Thank you.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated… I just want to be gone – Permanently.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Peter wrote:
…SPammers continue to pick up my email address from this forum.

Just curious, how do you know that these spammers are getting your email from this forum? I’ve been a member for many years, post prodigiously, subscribe to most all of the forums and yet have never gotten any spam at my email that I can point to as a result of being a member here.

Anyway, good luck with your removal.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Dear Big Erns,

I signed up for this forum several weeks ago. Within a week of signing up, I started receiving hundreds of spam items per day.

Yes, this could be a coincidence. The spam could have started from some other source, but I did nothing that I know of that might have led to this spam problem.

I do not intend to denigrate this forum.

But I must look back, consider potential origin, and try to reduce or even eliminate my spam problem.

The hundreds of spam items are broadly repetitious. That is, there are groups of 5 to 15 that have minor changes variously in the “From” and the “Subject” fields. This indicates that my email address was harvested and is being used by, or was sold to, a group of people who focus on spamming.

This methodical process makes putting filters on my server difficult & time consuming.

I appreciate the opportunity to have learned about Freeway from the many knowledgeable posters here.

Thank you,
Peter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for trying to explain it to me Peter… I’m no different than you as far as my aversion to spam. I really was just curious why one forum member would be a target over another.

I usually get several hundred spam mails a day… via the several accounts I use. Many are stopped at my server which uses sender verification and of course blacklisting to stop common spam. Most mail is forwarded to my gmail account which adds another layer of fairly sophisticated filtering. This method means that I almost never see a spam mail in my Inbox or a legitimate email in my spam folder.

I usually have seen upticks in the amount of spam I get after attacks on my blog… which I monitor and defend very aggressively. I think the hackers get mad when they fail to break into my server. Of course, that’s simply anecdotal-- but it makes me feel better to imagine them licking their wounds.

Again, best of luck to you.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Yes, this could be a coincidence.

I think that is the most likely case as your email address does not appear in FWT in a harvestable manner.

With many, many years of posting here (and thousands of posts) I can happily say that I have never received any Spam that could be attributable to FWT.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

My registered email address is unique to this forum. It’s never been used anywhere else and, like most forums where I do the same thing, I’ve never had any spam from any of them.

I think you need to look elsewhere Peter.

Unfortunately, I also think you’re wasting your time trying to find the source. The most likely (in my view) is that a computer which has your email address on it somewhere, has been hacked, or an account of some sort hacked.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I once created an email account thru my ISP and never used it, not once. Guess what … I got spam. It happens.

Paul

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It’s important to note that most spam is sent from botnets – thousands and thousands of zombified Windows PCs following central command and control. In many cases, they are just making up addresses with dictionary words and known domain names. I have a very low tolerance for spam, and I have been on the net with the same address since 1993. When I engineered the FreewayTalk Web application, I put all my years of hate for spammers into the system.

I used to get thousands of spam messages a week, until I signed up for http://mailroute.net last year. It is cheap at twice the price. All my mail goes through their servers, and is filtered to a fare-thee-well. Every day at 2pm, I get an email listing the two or three “uncertain” messages that they can’t decide on. I can do the thumbs up or down in seconds, and I don’t have to deal with the rest.

Walter

On Jul 28, 2015, at 7:12 PM, PaulM via freewaytalk email@hidden wrote:

I once created an email account thru my ISP and never used it, not once. Guess what … I got spam. It happens.

Paul

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden