[Pro] html 5 Block Link

Anyone having a problem with the html Block Link action in the responsive templates? Seems to affect my floats and clears.

Billy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Technically, this action wraps a DIV into an “a-Tag” such as so:

<a href="#">
  <div id="adivisinfreewayagreenrectangle">
  </div>
</a>

Assumed the above would influence positioning, the only reason I can guess is accidentally (or wanted) extra attributes (such as ID and classes) applied to the “a-Tag” within the action.

But this is wild theory and can be verified (or falsified) most effectively (and as ever) with a live-example showing a problem.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You can see what I’m talking about here: http://www.smartytest.com
The block link action is applied on box-1 “Trees”

Billy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

OK - see!

It’s a construction thing and float weirdness, so nothing to do with the action.

Basically, a clear doesn’t allow floating items to the left and to the right. Remove it. Then add boxes in some kind of sorting order. 1,2,3 - currently it’s kind of 1,3,2

Then add floats - I’m used to float them all “left” - a matching width provided.
This is all very basic inflow-construction.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Well it’s a template from softpress and that’s how it came. I have issues with these templates all of the time. I used Backdraft for a long time and the behavior is different. Also I think the version of Freeway that I am using (7.0) has some bugs. I haven’t upgraded yet because I have been reading that the updates have other issues as well.

Billy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Billy,

after having another thought about (and a relaxing beer), I think you’re right:

The block link can influence floats on boxes - but in all honesty am not aware in what case and how.

My swiss army knife fix is considering some more DIVs, which will mean to put another box before adding content. This ensures that the parent (positioning) boxes will be kept untouched, while you would add the block link to this new inner “content-wrapper”.

I am the wrongest to discuss “templates” or “backdraft”. I’m not used to those but there is much reasonable stuff in both. Floats are a beast - sometimes. But float is the most important tool in inflow-constructions. You’re more advanced than other users - so it’s important to get used to this.

Doing floats, you should know that “right” is before “left”. So the first inserted box floated right, but the second floated left will result in the “second” box is visually number one (left), while the first inserted is visually right and herby the second in the visual result.

But now the trick:

Assumed the visual left one is a sidebar, that you want to have below the right one (main content) on a specific breakpoint - templates construction is obviously the exact construction.

The downside on a template:

If you’re not aware what you’re doing, you need to write your outline EXACTLY for a template. If your outline doesn’t fir, either chose a better template or rewrite your outline. WebDesign is about content and structure - not about design aka box-decoration.

Cheers (literally)

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks so much Thomas.

Billy

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Also I think the version of Freeway that I am using (7.0) has some bugs. I haven’t upgraded yet because I have been reading that the updates have other issues as well.

If you think there was a good reason that the 7.1 update was released then is that reason not good enough to make you upgrade?

I can remember System 7 but I wouldn’t want to be using it now.

D

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

…I am using (7.0) has some bugs. I haven’t upgraded yet because I have been reading that the updates have other issues as well.

Oh for Jebus sake, everyone upgrade already! At least we will all be talking about the same bugs.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options