[Pro] importing photo but pass through option greyed out

Hi,

I’m rebuilding and redesgining an existing website to become a responsive site.

when i try and reimport a n existing photo on the site the passthrough option on the import dialog is greyed out.

Any ideas on how to get it working.

thanks in advance.

Cheers

Peter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Describe a lil bit more.

What type of “root item”, what type of “image” … calling the dialogue by CMD-E or something else?

I tried every single thinkable way and haven’t had a chance to fail so far.

Perhaps even a screenshot could help.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Thomas,

I’m using cmd-e

I’ll email you a screenshot to you address.

thanks

Peter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hi Thomas,

I think I’ve sorted it. I wasn’t clicking on an actual image!!

as homer simpson would say doh!

I have another question

I’ve just uploaded a site to http://baygallerylondon.com/index.html

Some of the thumbnails to the right of the main photo are not clicking through to their respective pages even though all the images are linked in the freeway document.

any ideas why that might be happening?

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

In all honesty: I don’t know!

All those working have (on the code side) a #map applied, whatever a map is. Unfortunately, this entire layout is broken down to a table-construction and I can’t debug such a beast.

Another problem on this is, that I’m not aware how this page will be responsive one day, do you?

As a small tipp for the future:

AVOID - whenever you can (up to 100%) spaces in filenames and folder names to prevent you from things like:

mydomain.com/my%20subfolder/a%20file%20name.html

Use dashes (is it the correct word?) instead

mydomain.com/my-subfolder/a-file-name.html

or even

mydomain.com/mysubfolder/afilename.html

But on all the rest, I hope that some experts rushing in helping out what may cause some of those disfunction’s.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Having had a further look into your head markup and think that you have to adjust a couple of things there immediately:

####Keywords

Twice in head. Remove one or both cause they have no relevance anymore. But if you use, make sure just to use 6-8 of them AND all of those preferably are reflected in the page-text which doesn’t exist yet.

####Description

As well here, max 150 characters, the rest will be truncated anyway. The description reflects the first body paragraph - content in page if you want so. No body text, no real matches no good ranking.

Be careful with such things. It is more efficient to create stronger styles (Headings) to structure a page. Get used to those basic page structure as an inevitable component of successful and semantic web design.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

thanks Thomas,

I’m working on becoming responsive but big task ahead of me.

much appreciated as always.

Cheers

Peter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

can you use underscores for file names _ ?

thanks

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hm - I meant to read somewhere, that underscores are often preserved for script languages or may even confuse them. So I think hyphenating is still the better choice. But I may fail.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks Thomas, will use - for the file names from now.

have a great weekend.

Cheers

Peter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Hyphens in filenames are treated as separate words by search engines when parsing the filename for keywords. Underscores between words are treated like a single run-on word. In a script, the only thing that happens when you use a hyphen within a variable is that the part after the dash is subtracted from the part before it, leading mostly to logic errors. Always use underscores in place of spaces within variable names, for this reason.

Walter

On Sep 11, 2015, at 10:18 AM, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

Hm - I meant to read somewhere, that underscores are often preserved for script languages or may even confuse them. So I think hyphenating is still the better choice. But I may fail.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

A map is used to provide a link on a photo that does not wrap around the entire image area. This is how you can click on your neighborhood within a larger graphic of your county and have the little popup showing you the postal code, for example.

In Freeway, you make those by using the Map tool to draw blue rectangles (and other shapes) around the parts of an image that you want to become hot-spots, and then assigning a URL to the map areas. However, if you see them and you didn’t mean to have hot-spots, very likely the issue is that you applied a shadow or border with rounded corners to an image using the graphic style portion of the Inspector. When you do that, even though you didn’t mean to make an irregular shape, Freeway still gives you a map instead of a simple tag wrapped around the image. You can force the issue by exporting your image with its shadow or border, and then importing it again as a pass-through. Pass-through images will not get this treatment by default.

Walter

On Sep 11, 2015, at 8:54 AM, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

All those working have (on the code side) a #map applied, whatever a map is. Unfortunately, this entire layout is broken down to a table-construction and I can’t debug such a beast.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Walt,

thanks for the info.

sorry not sure if understood correctly. Are you saying its best to use underscores when using filenames and folders.

i notice the guardian use hyphens - on their web pages. is that better for keywords

thanks

Peter

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Peter, Walter referred to my comment regarding “scripts”, not on the theme of filenames.

I keep up “Hyphens for filenames” - WordPress does, TheGuardian does - so let us do, too :slight_smile:

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden