[Pro] Inlay questions

I had a post regarding Inlay that will not accept any new posts for some reason? I posted this yesterday but it disappeared. Hopefully someone can help with this. I am wanting to make a page on my website editable by my salesmen and have decided to use Inlay. I signed up for Inlay, downloaded the .zip file and had already downloaded the Inlay action. I’m confused as to where I upload the 2 files (_htaccess.txt & _inlay.php) that the Setup Instructions say to upload to my Web Server. I logged onto my hosting service and went to the Access Site Admin Panel which shows all the folders for the website I assume. Under the Root Folder are these folders: [Parent Directory], [This Directory], Inetpub, LogFiles, mssql, reports, Users & webalizer. Under FTP Folder are: [Parent Directory], [This Directory], LocalUser, logfiles & wwwroot. In the Root Folder under Inetpub there is a ‘wwwroot’ folder that contains the index.html file along with the .html pages of my site. Those files are also in the FTP Folder ‘wwwroot’ folder. The path in the Root Folder is: InetpubWwwroot and the path in the FTP Folder is: InetpubFtprootWwwroot. So not sure which one the files get uploaded to or if they even get uploaded to those folders at all?
Thanks for any help!
Misty

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

First off, not sure why your message didn’t get accepted. Not a feature of this system – there is no such thing as a “locked thread” on the mailing list.

By the looks of this directory, you are using a Windows hosting server. I have no idea if this will work at all, because the features that Inlay uses are specific to Apache servers, and Windows almost always uses Internet Information Server (IIS) in its place. If you find that you cannot make it work, it is doubtful that anyone could!

The correct place to put these files is the wwwroot folder (if I am reading that correctly). As the instructions say, it should go in the same folder as the index.html file for your site.

Don’t miss the part where you rename the _htaccess.txt file to .htaccess. I do not know if IIS uses .htaccess files to configure itself, or if it includes the mod_rewrite module which Inlay requires in order to work at all. So this may be a very short trip.

If you can, move the site to a “normal” server: Apache running on Linux or Unix. IIS is a vanishingly small slice of the hosting world, used only by people who have a compelling business reason to do so (integration with proprietary business applications, mostly) and who can afford the constant maintenance and security patching that it requires. It is generally very costly compared with equal- or better-performing *nix equivalents.

If you can’t do that, then I will be happy to refund your account. I don’t have any plans to port this service to ASP (which would be native to IIS/Windows Server).

Walter

On Jul 25, 2017, at 10:53 AM, Misty Ann email@hidden wrote:

I had a post regarding Inlay that will not accept any new posts for some reason? I posted this yesterday but it disappeared. Hopefully someone can help with this. I am wanting to make a page on my website editable by my salesmen and have decided to use Inlay. I signed up for Inlay, downloaded the .zip file and had already downloaded the Inlay action. I’m confused as to where I upload the 2 files (_htaccess.txt & _inlay.php) that the Setup Instructions say to upload to my Web Server. I logged onto my hosting service and went to the Access Site Admin Panel which shows all the folders for the website I assume. Under the Root Folder are these folders: [Parent Directory], [This Directory], Inetpub, LogFiles, mssql, reports, Users & webalizer. Under FTP Folder are: [Parent Directory], [This Directory], LocalUser, logfiles & wwwroot. In the Root Folder under Inetpub there is a ‘wwwroot’ folder that contains the index.html file along with the .html pages of my site. Those files are also in the FTP Folder ‘wwwroot’ folder. The path in the Root Folder is: InetpubWwwroot and the path in the FTP Folder is: InetpubFtprootWwwroot. So not sure which one the files get uploaded to or if they even get uploaded to those folders at all?
Thanks for any help!
Misty

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Walter,
I got the server changed over to a Linux server for my site and I uploaded the 2 files and changed the name of the _htaccess.txt file to .htaccess. Now it says to test Inlay Client go back to browser and click appropriate link? Where would this link be? I haven’t uploaded my site yet with the Used Boat page that has the Inlay action used on it but I did use the ‘Preview in Browser’ option in Freeway and don’t see anything I’d love to see a “Yay! Your server can reach Inlay.io” but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place?
In my Freeway document I have an html box for the photo and an html box for the description of the boat. I made 3 styles for the description: Headline, Description, Price and applied those.
When I click on the html photo box the Action Window has: Data Source: item2 & Formatting: Markdown, for text description html box it has: Data Source: item 14b3 & Formatting: WYSIWYG.
Is it a simple matter of having to upload the entire site to see that it Inlay is working? How do I set-up log-in and password for my salesman?
Sorry for all the questions!!! Thank you so much for your help!
Misty

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

You need to upload at least one page with an inlay tag on it to your server in order to start configuring the site for data-driven content. But you can get the Yay part to work without anything else. The Yay comes from the _inlay.php file and the .htaccess.

To test, you need to sign into the Inlay control panel (at inlay.io) and then click the Sites option on the top menu bar, and then click Edit next to the name of your site. On the upper right side of that page, you will see a gray box with some blue text in it. Download should be checked in green. Install may also be checked. Now click on Test. You should see a link labeled Test Inlay Client. Click that, and you should see a brief animation, followed by “Success! Your server can reach Inlay.io” in green. Please let me know if you get that far.

Walter

On Jul 31, 2017, at 6:08 PM, Misty Ann email@hidden wrote:

Hi Walter,
I got the server changed over to a Linux server for my site and I uploaded the 2 files and changed the name of the _htaccess.txt file to .htaccess. Now it says to test Inlay Client go back to browser and click appropriate link? Where would this link be? I haven’t uploaded my site yet with the Used Boat page that has the Inlay action used on it but I did use the ‘Preview in Browser’ option in Freeway and don’t see anything I’d love to see a “Yay! Your server can reach Inlay.io” but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place?
In my Freeway document I have an html box for the photo and an html box for the description of the boat. I made 3 styles for the description: Headline, Description, Price and applied those.
When I click on the html photo box the Action Window has: Data Source: item2 & Formatting: Markdown, for text description html box it has: Data Source: item 14b3 & Formatting: WYSIWYG.
Is it a simple matter of having to upload the entire site to see that it Inlay is working? How do I set-up log-in and password for my salesman?
Sorry for all the questions!!! Thank you so much for your help!
Misty

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

OK I got that far - Success! Server can reach Inlay. I then uploaded my site with the html box tagged with Inlay action. Went back to Inlay control panel and clicked Scan for Templates. It just continues with the gray boxes flashing and now in my website the Used Boat page shows this message:
Error
The file you requested could not be located.
http://www.yorkroadmarine.com/usedboats.html What now? Thanks!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Okay, that’s actually positive. That error message was generated by Inlay.

The template file is present, and at the correct location for that page. I’m going to need to impersonate you in the system and watch the logs while I try the same thing you did, and see what the error is. It should have just worked, because as I said, you’ve done everything right so far.

Walter

On Aug 1, 2017, at 5:51 AM, Misty Ann email@hidden wrote:

OK I got that far - Success! Server can reach Inlay. I then uploaded my site with the html box tagged with Inlay action. Went back to Inlay control panel and clicked Scan for Templates. It just continues with the gray boxes flashing and now in my website the Used Boat page shows this message:
Error

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It’s all sorted. You had entered the full URL of the template in the Site configuration, rather than just the “base” URL of the server. I’ll have to add some checking around that, or at least a hint in the interface so it’s clearer what’s expected. When I removed that part of the URL, the system found your template and saved it without any issue. If you go to your test page now, you should see the entire page, with the default content from your template.

Walter

On Aug 1, 2017, at 10:23 AM, Walter Lee Davis email@hidden wrote:

Okay, that’s actually positive. That error message was generated by Inlay.

The template file is present, and at the correct location for that page. I’m going to need to impersonate you in the system and watch the logs while I try the same thing you did, and see what the error is. It should have just worked, because as I said, you’ve done everything right so far.

Walter

On Aug 1, 2017, at 5:51 AM, Misty Ann email@hidden wrote:

Error

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’ve invited an editor (salesman email), accepted invitation and both the box and the text on the Used Boat page in my document are tagged with the Inlay action. How does the salesman log-in from the Used Boat web page in the browser to edit and add photos? In my document what should be in the Data Source box? Under the Formatting drop down menu which option should I use for him to be able to edit and upload photos and edit the text underneath? Plain Text, Markdown, WYSIWYG or Raw Markup? They are both tagged separately, the image box and the text box. Both html. We will be uploading photos to DropBox and will get the link for the photo from there but I just don’t know how to get from point A to point B. I’m sure I’m missing something in the documentation or just not understanding it. But getting closer!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

The editor signs in to https://inlay.io just as you do, but instead of seeing all the controls (and sites) that you can, only sees the one that s/he is assigned to, and can only change content, not any of the admin settings for the site itself.

Walter

On Aug 1, 2017, at 11:35 AM, Misty Ann email@hidden wrote:

I’ve invited an editor (salesman email), accepted invitation and both the box and the text on the Used Boat page in my document are tagged with the Inlay action. How does the salesman log-in from the Used Boat web page in the browser to edit and add photos? In my document what should be in the Data Source box? Under the Formatting drop down menu which option should I use for him to be able to edit and upload photos and edit the text underneath? Plain Text, Markdown, WYSIWYG or Raw Markup? They are both tagged separately, the image box and the text box. Both html. We will be uploading photos to DropBox and will get the link for the photo from there but I just don’t know how to get from point A to point B. I’m sure I’m missing something in the documentation or just not understanding it. But getting closer!

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I can now edit the Used Boat page in Inlay but when I paste the DropBox image link into the item2 section (Data source: item2, Formatting: Markdown in my Freeway document) and click Update Page nothing changes on the web page. This is the image link from DropBox: Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life And editing the test text (description of boat) in item14b3 (Data source: item14b3, Formatting: WYSIWYG in my Freeway document) and updating doesn’t change that either. I’m not that familiar with website code which is why I use Freeway. Please help! I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Misty

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Misty
I suspect that problem is that the pic resides in drop box. I would pull it out of drop box and put in a folder on your computer. Just my 2 cents.
John

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Misty I suspect that problem is that the pic resides in drop box. I would pull it out of drop box and put in a folder on your computer.

Rather than on your Computer - make sure that the picture is available as a publicly available link whether in Dropbbox or elsewhere.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Part of the issue is that the Dropbox URL you are using is the kind of URL where it constructs an entire page around the image. You definitely cannot use this URL to the image. I was able (with the Safari Web Inspector) to get a link that will work:

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AABi1cGPFHxOmOVpeboVsi1xPMzbWuNGzJ1VVMNKcaTPgQ/12/494322278/jpeg/32x32/3/1501812000/0/2/DSCN1408.jpg/EIHR0YEEGAogBygH/8Z0K_Ln2A0JP3gXhf65LisYcoLmJa6xO7-6847YiS0w?dl=0&size=32x32&size_mode=5

But this is probably not a good solution (since it takes quite a bit of work to figure out what the URL should be) so I recommend you look into another option for image sharing. Dropbox doesn’t actively discourage using its service as an image host, but it is definitely not what they set out to do or sell as a service. I don’t have an alternative to offer here, but maybe another member will have an idea.

In both the WYSIWYG and the Markdown editors, there are image buttons in the toolbar that will let you paste in a URL to the image (but as noted, it must be a link directly to the image itself). To use either of these, place the flashing text cursor in the HTML box where you want the image to appear, then press the button, paste in the URL, and then Okay the dialog. The correct code will be inserted in place (in Markdown, this will be ![alt text](url to the image)). Images can only be inserted inline like this, there is no control to replace a placeholder image (inserted in Freeway or another editor) with a different image.

Walter

On Aug 3, 2017, at 11:04 AM, Misty Ann email@hidden wrote:

I can now edit the Used Boat page in Inlay but when I paste the DropBox image link into the item2 section (Data source: item2, Formatting: Markdown in my Freeway document) and click Update Page nothing changes on the web page. This is the image link from DropBox: Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life And editing the test text (description of boat) in item14b3 (Data source: item14b3, Formatting: WYSIWYG in my Freeway document) and updating doesn’t change that either. I’m not that familiar with website code which is why I use Freeway. Please help! I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Misty

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Sorry to ressurect this old thread but I was just wondering if the Inlay service has been rested as the inlay.io website is now showing as being for sale?

Gordon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Yes. Inlay is no longer running. One by one all the subscribers did not renew.

Walter

On Jun 2, 2019, at 11:19 AM, Gordon Low email@hidden wrote:

Sorry to ressurect this old thread but I was just wondering if the Inlay service has been rested as the inlay.io website is now showing as being for sale?

Gordon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden