[Pro] Jeremy, ready for some inspiration?

I know you’re pretty busy, but …

Notice the CSSEdit approach (great app which no longer is available or supported).

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Hi Richard, I remember this when you first suggested it… I thought at the time…

NOW that is what a modern interface should look like!!!

and like you I used and still do use cssEdit

its a shame its now wrapped up in Espresso which isn’t my cup of tea

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

That’s right, I seem to have trashed my psd file some time after Softpress called it a day, but this png still was online. CSSEDit is a life-saver and I can’t believe no one has build a stand-alone CSS editing app yet. Like you I find it an amazing app I hold close (or rather I stored a copy including prefs online).

But … now Softpress is trying to get back in this business I think besides a good look & feel an intuitive workflow and even stand-alone apps which seamlessly work together is a no-brainer. Coffeecup got this.

I just hope for an awesome application which accommodates good CSS editing features, not just the surface, but everything. Same for additional coding. The interface as shown above could be a step in that direction.

Whatever is released, for as long as it doesn’t blow us away, and turns out to be just ‘one of those apps’, than it has a very short life expectancy I’m afraid.

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

It’s been awfully quiet from SoftPress since the confirmation of coming back from the dead. There has been at least 10x more SPAM posts here at the forum - v s- any actual news of any kind on progress or things to look forward to regarding Freeway Pro. :wink: They say “no news is good news”, but from a company trying to make a comeback / massive update, I am not so sure being this quiet is the way to go.

As a side note:

The upcoming release of Pinegrow 3.0 (next month?), will have a “Visual CSS Editor”, among its many new features. See the PineGrow 3 Countdown Video(s) in the following link. Countdown to Pinegrow 3.0 - Visual CSS Editor - YouTube

Perhaps some CSSEdit / Freeway / Other users will be intrigued by it.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Ive looked at Pinegrow and its great program and for some it will definitely be the way to go. But I can also say the same about the latest Dreamweaver which uses Brackets which is very good and oddly enough creating complicated nested tables in dreamweaver is very very good compared to other editors. Richard I know you are really enthusiastic about Coffeecup, which I can totally understand. its got a clever way of adding extra functionality via the software add ons.

What I am looking for is probably a little different from most. In fact a modern version of freeway would be fairly close if that freeway allowed me to manipulate the published code a little easier. Richard your idea for the Style editor and site pane is quite similar to how I create/layout my work flow, except for the fact that mines is not built in to freeway as standard and clunky in comparison to what a fully fledged integrated system should be. I am hoping the FW8 if thats what its called is going to be something special rather than a dumbed down version… but I am quietly optomistic that it will be good. As for announcements then I would expect something for some time to come… lets face it…its taken me over two years to reconstruct WebYep. So something as complicated as freeway wont be done quickly.

All the best Max

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

On 25 May 2017, 10:03 pm, max wrote:

Richard your idea for the Style editor and site pane is quite similar to how I create/layout my work flow, except for the fact that mines is not built in to freeway as standard and clunky in comparison to what a fully fledged integrated system should be.

I indeed realised that. That’s exactly why I do find your template so amazing. It covers about everything one could ask for within the possibilities Freeway offers. Now if Softpress could realise such a workflow within the new ‘Freeway’ (or whatever it’s going to be named), that would be great. For me your template is completely new and I’ll have to get my head around it first before I can work with it, but it’s completely clear that this is (one of) the best approach I’ve seen ever.

It will have to provide current (and experimental) CSS features as well. As for the current release and its predecessors Freeway only offers a selection of the CSS options in it’s UI. When you look at W3schools you can so much more options for CSS3 that already was available when Freeway7 was released, but still you’d have to go ‘Extended’ or rely on third party actions in order to use CSS3. And this also goes for other ‘basic’ functionality that just wasn’t available within Freeway. You have to be a novice in order to use today’s features, just because they were completely missing in Freeway.

– Richard

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Max,

basically I swore not coming back to FWT - but you guys are more than worth breaking with my attitude. I’d like to tell you a lil story.

Recently I wrote my own grid. It’s nothing groundbreaking at all. Just a bunch of classes for flex-grid, padding, margin and colors. The one you’d need for a very basic structure. It could be used for any app on this planet - theoretically. At least for those being able to display remote classes. This is looking as the follows:

https://clients.updog.co/Reginald-theMagicGrid/index.html

The downside of it is, that I’d need to document every single class-names and how to use it. And although it’s been authored by myself, I did hard to remember them (bad BEM I guess).

So I started to review my situation and found out the magic rule: Creating a Pinegrow PlugIn. The problem I have is: I’m so incapable writing JavaScript! So I grabbed a shared solution which had some of the basics in. And then I started slightly adjusting this. And I failed and tried again, fiddled, trial and error and all the like. Sometimes I cried a lil bit (which is sometimes of help too). But finally I got a working PlugIn which does where I was after. I established predefined DIVs ready to use which has some pre-settings in it and the ability just to manipulate those. And even more, I established all properties available for any Library element (Padding, Margin, Color, Text-Color).

During creating this, I often thought on you, Max. I thought about a Web-Yep Plugin. Similar to your action-suite, I can think of creating the same as above described. All elements can have the required code-snippet (such as the Magic Module in the shared screenshot).

All it needs is a MAMP surrounding cause Pinegrow (certainly) can’t display PHP natively.

Pinegrow is great. But only for those being aware of what they’re doing. As a web-designer I expect the awareness of the existing rules in web (HTML, CSS and JS). The point is, that there is the missing „quick-start“.

Think about it and let me know your thoughts. You certainly can hope on FW8 and great movements. I simply don’t believe in all those major steps anymore.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Can I tell you a secret? There isn’t a person alive writing JavaScript today why didn’t follow this very path, exactly.

Walter

On May 26, 2017, at 5:05 AM, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

The problem I have is: I’m so incapable writing JavaScript! So I grabbed a shared solution which had some of the basics in. And then I started slightly adjusting this. And I failed and tried again, fiddled, trial and error and all the like. Sometimes I cried a lil bit (which is sometimes of help too). But finally I got a working PlugIn which does where I was after.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Am not exactly sure what you’re trying to tell me. In fact, the situation is better described with: "Assumed I’d like to accomplish something, I’m neither able to find the correct dingus for it nor where to find the adequate answer. The first time starting to cry was trying to understand the intro ( http://docs.pinegrow.com/misc/plugins-development/short-intro-to-plugin-api )and I’m afraid I’ll never get the gist. Perhaps there’s a natural limitation on this - who knows?

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

I’m telling you that you’ve done something great, and made one step up a learning curve that goes as high as you are willing to take it. Programming is a great skill to have, even if you don’t use it every day. I’m proud of you for trying, and even prouder that you succeeded.

Walter

On May 26, 2017, at 4:40 PM, Thomas Kimmich email@hidden wrote:

Am not exactly sure what you’re trying to tell me. In fact, the situation is better described with: "Assumed I’d like to accomplish something, I’m neither able to find the correct dingus for it nor where to find the adequate answer. The first time starting to cry was trying to understand the intro ( http://docs.pinegrow.com/misc/plugins-development/short-intro-to-plugin-api )and I’m afraid I’ll never get the gist. Perhaps there’s a natural limitation on this - who knows?

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Information for existing FreewayTalk / Groups.io users - Site Feedback - Softpress Talk

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thanks for your nice and generous words, Walter - appreciated (I never would have asked twice - but here I was a victim of my outermost mediocre english language skills somehow).

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden