[Pro] Long Page Load With a Gliding Site?

I like the idea of a site with gliding pages coming into view. I suppose there are different ways of doing this.

For this experiment I’ve just used anchors and the smooth scroll action. My main concern about this is the loading time as I’m more or less making 8 - 10 pages into one.

So, if I keep the images in the lowest possible resolution and there are not any other heavy content will this be an easy option for a gliding web site, or are there better ways?

In the example “Far II Kind”, “Gallery” and “Contact” are active.

Regards,
Jon

http://sail-chartering.com/test/

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at:

Good question.

I have a theory with no intention of truth though.

The idea of a OnePage design is to cover the “most important” informations on a (pretty short or even longer )single-page. In fact, lots of multiple-page projects can be easily wrapped into one page (because they share on many pages not any valuable information.

The problem is, that you won’t share “details” to a specific theme or task if you do a one pager. It scratches just the surface. More isn’t required for the moment. The Who, What, Where, Whom aspects. But even this can convince a visitor to just pick the phone doing an order or having the wish of detailed infos (brochures and stuff).

I don’t understand your theme and outline, but assumed your client has three different boats, I’d introduce them on the index page, sure - but would never ever show them as a gallery on exactly the same page, never!

Why?

Because shared infos on the index might be enough, but not necessarily have the claim to be enough. Each boat section can have a “call to action” button with read more. And each boat needs to have more information (price, availability, features, images).

To me, everything depends on the theme and the outline you create for it (first).

So it’s a question of authoring first rater than discussing file-sizes or trying things in Freeway.

Another point is, that web design is content. Content is text, images are just its decoration. You’re highly sticking to “visual” things (as most of this audience here).

Modern pages are dealing with short, nice readable text, fancy fresh colors and icons - and a handful of images.

So if I would have to judge, in your case, the outline can’t be a OnePage design - it will be a MultiplePage project.

But as said - it’s me without any claim of truth and wisdom.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Thank you for your thoughts, Thomas.

As I said my main concern was the practical business of page load.

The whole setup at the moment is just trying and failing with different technical approaches.

FYI, it is just one boat that is presented involving, I would guess, 8 pages.

Jon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

As I said my main concern was the practical business of page load.

I know. So let me be of help here:

Ask yourself (not me) the following questions:

####Who is my audience?

Mid-agers. Somewhere between 48-65 years old. Mostly managing directors or CEOs. Don’t be concerned. They’re well connected cause they have the latest quadruple steam whopper with 10 streams per giga-square.

####But

This audience is well situated. They know everything about taste cause they long stopped eating salmon cause lobster is much tastier. They even know if the board champagne is ranged upper class.

####What is teasing them?

Facts! They can afford and they don’t need much time to think.

Full Background-Slideshows overlay by several other image-slider? A designer may say “yes” - others may doubt. Unfortunately, I’m not a designer!

A OnePager delivers facts! This project for sure doesn’t require more than two or three pages.

But as said:

You’re the designer - me not.

Cheers

Thomas

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options

Hi Jon,

Practically, what you are talking about is Lazy Loading Images. It’s a scripted scheme for feeding the browser transparent placeholder images then afterwards loading the actual image only when it comes into the browser view. Walter had a Scripty version that may still be on the Actions Forge, though I don’t know how well it works with newer versions of Freeway.

The problem side of lazy images was adequate detection by the script if the image in question was visible in the browser, the difference between CSS images and actual img elements, fallbacks for non-js users and iOS difficulties.

For Freeway users, there may also be the issue of adding custom code to image tags or other structures. Not impossible, just not as automated as many users seem to hope for.

Also, practically, sticking everything on one page can be a semantic disaster, diluting the SEO mojo for your whole site. It can be tricky.

Potentially, every page is a landing page now, so what content can we use on “home” pages that can be seen as valuable? The “hi and welcome to our website, we are company XYZ, blahdy blah” just doesn’t tell anyone anything useful anymore. But also putting the whole site there can obfuscate important details.

A site should tell a story, and each page be a chapter in the telling of it. This means breaking content down not only into digestible bits, but meaningful bits. Most designers have a gimmick for applying lipstick to the pig and selling it, which is how advertising has worked my whole life. Now the focus is shifting to the meaning of things we never thought about before. The audience knows it’s a pig, so our artful cosmetic applications aren’t going to solve that problem anymore.

So I question the one-page, because I think each product deserves its own “brochure” no matter how little information there is about it. If I made one brochure for all the products, it would feature a side-by-side feature comparison chart, and a way for users to categorize which product they are a best fit for. But still, a separate brochure for each product. From a web point of view, I think this also keeps the content streamlined for search engines.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

Many good and valid observations here. Thank you very much for elaborating.

So, gliding pages are super cool (me speaking), but not really a serious option.

Jon

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden

So, gliding pages are super cool …

I think that they are quite ‘of the moment’ but how valuable are they in the big scheme of things.

Interesting piece on the subject at That One Page Site is Cool. Too Bad No One Will See It. - Interactually

Of course there are opposing views.

David

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
https://freewaytalk.softpress.com/person/options