[Pro] Long Page Load With a Gliding Site?

Hi Jon,

Practically, what you are talking about is Lazy Loading Images. It’s a scripted scheme for feeding the browser transparent placeholder images then afterwards loading the actual image only when it comes into the browser view. Walter had a Scripty version that may still be on the Actions Forge, though I don’t know how well it works with newer versions of Freeway.

The problem side of lazy images was adequate detection by the script if the image in question was visible in the browser, the difference between CSS images and actual img elements, fallbacks for non-js users and iOS difficulties.

For Freeway users, there may also be the issue of adding custom code to image tags or other structures. Not impossible, just not as automated as many users seem to hope for.

Also, practically, sticking everything on one page can be a semantic disaster, diluting the SEO mojo for your whole site. It can be tricky.

Potentially, every page is a landing page now, so what content can we use on “home” pages that can be seen as valuable? The “hi and welcome to our website, we are company XYZ, blahdy blah” just doesn’t tell anyone anything useful anymore. But also putting the whole site there can obfuscate important details.

A site should tell a story, and each page be a chapter in the telling of it. This means breaking content down not only into digestible bits, but meaningful bits. Most designers have a gimmick for applying lipstick to the pig and selling it, which is how advertising has worked my whole life. Now the focus is shifting to the meaning of things we never thought about before. The audience knows it’s a pig, so our artful cosmetic applications aren’t going to solve that problem anymore.

So I question the one-page, because I think each product deserves its own “brochure” no matter how little information there is about it. If I made one brochure for all the products, it would feature a side-by-side feature comparison chart, and a way for users to categorize which product they are a best fit for. But still, a separate brochure for each product. From a web point of view, I think this also keeps the content streamlined for search engines.

freewaytalk mailing list
email@hidden
Update your subscriptions at: